Yesterdays Chants

CoF

264 members have voted

1. 1. General feeling...

• It's fitba, anything goes. Git it up him etc.
    • Unecessary, bad taste, over the top etc.

This is my first ever post so I'm not a constant moaner.

I'm also not that interested in what the media etc think.

But I was at the game (so this is my first hand opinion) and was embarassed to be associated with it. I know that I didn't need to join in (and I didn't) but nevertheless I felt associated with it by implication and was completely uncomfortable with it.

So I've voted in the bad taste category etc.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What amazes me more is the outrage this has caused passion from some people about it.

Why isn't there the same passion against the re-occuring themes that are ruining football?

Or the SHite atmosphere that is at every game in scotland, if people put this much effort into backing the team maybe this wudn't have happennend?

For me the issue concerns the use of words and what is and isnt acceptable. Its quite funny but I regularly attend The Stand and see all kinds of people flustered by the word c**t. To me I dont really see why however calling someone a paedo is just not acceptable. The connotations of saying this is far to strong. Im up for calling some a w**k or whatever but this in my opinion was out of order.

For everyone who is condeming our fans for the paedo song.

Why did no-one kick up and get stuck into our fans when it was sung in Llanelli, and that has been refered to on this site several times. Or when it was sung to the Celtic fans.

Is ot now just a case of taking the media's side and jumping on the band wagon?

Is it OK as long as we don't get caught?

What amazes me more is the outrage this has caused passion from some people about it.

Why isn't there the same passion against the re-occuring themes that are ruining football?

Or the SHite atmosphere that is at every game in scotland, if people put this much effort into backing the team maybe this wudn't have happennend?

definetly agree, dont see why folk are making such a big deal about it mahn, things like that happen at football games deal with it :P and it annoys me more fans that go back home and complain about it, if it was that out of order why didnt you approach them group of supporters? :doh:

Personally didn't make the game on Saturday, but from what I've heard I am embarassed. I don't mind anyone berating McGhee, I'd be first to do so myself. But the fact that we can't do it in anything close to a tactful manner bemuses me. Call him fat, disloyal, question his managerial skills and his German contacts, but calling him a Paedophile is a step to far in my opinion. Although it wasn't in a serious nature, this is nothing for the young generation of the game to pick up on, and not even he deserves that. The only people affected in a bad light by it were us, the Motherwell fans, who painted the club in a bad light on Saturday. Simple as.

I'm sure some of the morons from this board will be only too happy to go on air and give some of the arguments they've posted on here to justify it. Otherwise they'd just look like daft wee boys hiding behind their keyboard and username.

What? Like those holier than thou who have referred to those involved as 'neds' or step forward Steve Diggle, who referred to 'little pricks'?

Yes, the references to child abuse were not excusable, but, the chants should be taken for what they were, a piss-take. It's the latest bandwagon for the faint hearted on here to get their drawers in a twist, touch wood the obituary column in the Times this week doesn't feature anybody Motherwell related... Board overload.

I find it amazing that over a third of the votes have landed on the side of this being ok. Can dress this up any way we like but if this is considered ok by a significiant minority of our support then we are no better than the Old Firm.

I have heard a few suggesting that what the Old Firm sing is different, suggesting that what they sing about is worse but I would say that singing songs about child rapists is pretty bad.

I always pretend that as a support we are better than the Old Firm but it is getting harder for me to believe my own dillusions. I sat at the Nancy game and listened for 90 mins to some disgusting racist comments from some neds behind me. Nobody (including myself) told them to be quiet. It actually takes a lot of courage to stand up in a situation like and if normally you try to live your life in a non violent, non confrontational way. The point is that saturday was not an isolated incident.

The question I would like to ask is, as a group of supporters what do we actually stand for? Are we just the Old Firm scum in disguise? I am struggling at the moment to feel a sense of togetherness with my fellow Well fans.

At Pittodrie on Saturday I remember saying to my Dad that it was kind of funny that we should pay money to sit in that environment on a Saturday afternoon. Is was a long way to drive for the priviledge as well.

definetly agree, dont see why folk are making such a big deal about it mahn, things like that happen at football games deal with it :P and it annoys me more fans that go back home and complain about it, if it was that out of order why didnt you approach them group of supporters? :doh:

I do believe 'child molester' is a touch far, but it has been blown a bit far out of proportion...........and I doubt that 1 or 2 people asking possibly about 35 fans to stop calling McGhee a paedo would make much difference, possibly start argument amongst our own support which is never good.

afterall, It's football, it happens.

Keevins has just invited any of 'the morons' guilty of the chanting, to phone up super scoreboard now and tell him the justification.

Personally I think responding to Hugh Keevins is worse than chanting that Mark McGhee's a paedo :doh:

Having been at Llanelli I didn't hear any chanting. But it was very much heard on Saturday. Bottom line its like kiddies using a bad word for the first time. Childish nonsense and as I have said in a previous post the connotations are much worse. For the guy that posted 'What age should I take my kid along to his/her first game', take note. For anyone who has a family listening to this pish is out of order.

If calling him a paedo is bad, then why was no one up in arms when considerably more people sang it at home to Celtic. Im also sure there would have been more utterences of 'f****n' on that day too.

The difference is Jim Torbett who was convicted of sexually abusing boys in his care.

Also, I never heard any chanting other than 'Who the f*** is Mark McGhee?' at Llanelli.

SD

Josef Fritzl's Motherwell Army, it has been sung at a game before by a select few. Did Keevens get his knickers in a twist over that? No, because its not one many members of the extended Smelltic family. Selective hearing as usual from a guy who looks like he's lived in Auschwitz half his life and sang Rebel songs openly in the London Rd SC the other half before he got banned out of it. How did a dick like him get the forged Certs to get a job as a journalist?

Yes, the references to child abuse were not excusable, but, the chants should be taken for what they were, a piss-take. It's the latest bandwagon for the faint hearted on here to get their drawers in a twist, touch wood the obituary column in the Times this week doesn't feature anybody Motherwell related... Board overload.
Why do you need to be fainthearted to think there was some reputational damage done to the club?

Are you not jumping on the bandwagon by saying 'the references to child abuse were not excusable'? Or is your dissent somehow more independent and brave?

The reason why most people won't say too much to a gang of 35 adults is that that most people are scared off getting a kicking for asking them to behave like human beings and not acting like their is no consequence to their words or actions.

The chants were out of order or if in doubt ask how your mums if that is acceptable behaviour for you to have directed at anyone or if they would be proud of you for doing it?

All these chants has done is tarnish the reputation of Motherwell fans who don't do that. As for chanting at the game I do cheer on my team and don't resort to this sort of stuff.

There's been chants about Skacel & Boruc being refugees, Ross Tokely being a wife beater, and Andy McLaren took dogs abuse for being a junkie.

Where was all the outrage about those?

Those chants got very little coverage in the media and, as a result, there were only a few moans about them on here.

But the bigger a deal the press make about the paedo chants, the more folk seem to take offence.

Firstly, I have to admit that I wasn't at Pitoddrie on Saturday. So I'm not going to pass comment on what was or wasn't sang.

I have wrestled with this issue for a couple of days. Anyone who knows me will tell you that i am no shrinking violet at the football. Anyone within a 50 yard radius can probably hear me swear and abuse players. Over the years I have had no problem with telling Neil Lennon/Charlie Miller/Kris Boyd/any number of others that their father should have wanked them down the pan. I have referred to opposition players and managers as any number of body parts. I think the difference I see between this and the paedophile chants is that my shouts are clearly insults and not accusations (how can anyone prove they're not an arsehole anyway??). Someone stated on this forum that paedophile was the en vogue insult of the day. I would never use it as an insult, I don't see it as one. It's just not something I would feel comfortable using. As a rule of thumb, would I refer to someone I knew as an arsehole? Aye, and sometimes to their face. Would I ever do the same with paedohile? No, never.

Over the years at the football, I have heard the Justin Fashanu songs, the Richard Gough chants, the Celtic boys club chants and let's not forget the Gazza wife beater stuff. None of this provoked the same outrage as Saturday's has amongst our support. All of these chants had some basis in rumours that were doing the rounds in Scottish football or stories that had made the papers but I still don't feel that comfortable with any of them. But I can see why people would use these sticks that were available to beat people with. To use paedophile on Saturday when as I have stated before McGhee has given us so much better material to work with strikes me as a bit sad and unimaginative. And being honest, a bit crass.

I guess what I'm trying to say is; what's wrong with simply calling someone an arsehole these days...?