Yesterdays Chants

CoF

264 members have voted

1. 1. General feeling...

• It's fitba, anything goes. Git it up him etc.
    • Unecessary, bad taste, over the top etc.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading this thread, too many people bumping their gums when they weren't at the game so are really in no position to pass judgement on stuff they didn't hear. Paedo chants, aye not in great taste in granted, but Mutley's a big boy surely he can handle a bit of name calling? Afterall thats what it is, stick and stones and all that. When you make good money in football, in a decent profile job like Shovelface then if he lets a few weans and steamers get to him by calling him a Paedo in jest then I'm afraid he's in the wrong business. Sectarian chants were non-existent by all first hand reports from both away and home fans. I actually can't see the logic behind the running a story like that when it culd clearly get them in trouble as there is no evidence whatsoever of it happening. I've heard so so much worse in the last fortnight at games down here than what was aimed at McGhee on Saturday. Songs about Spurs, Gas Chambers and Auschwitz to name, but one and that one wouldn't even get a mention in the local rag.

Why do I not get to have an opinion on whether I am pro chanting or anti chanting because I wasn't at the game? That is just utter bullshit.

Calm yer jets missus, I've not taken away your right to free speech ffs. What I meant was the OTT Moral outrage at the chants when people didn't witness what context they were sung in or even what kind of support we had and what they were up to. By all accounts nobody at the game was so utterly disgusted that they felt the need to say anything at Pittodrie or go on the internet and moan about how shite our supporters are. As usual it wasn't until Glasgow gutter press decided to make a mountain out of a mole hill and preach down right lies on radio and in their shite tabloids that anybody felt strongly about nothing.

All I can say is, thank Christ I don't get to read Scottish papers because the shoddy standrads of journalism in comparison with their English counterparts is incredible

Calm yer jets missus, I've not taken away your right to free speech ffs. What I meant was the OTT Moral outrage at the chants when people didn't witness what context they were sung in or even what kind of support we had and what they were up to. By all accounts nobody at the game was so utterly disgusted that they felt the need to say anything at Pittodrie or go on the internet and moan about how shite our supporters are. As usual it wasn't until Glasgow gutter press decided to make a mountain out of a mole hill and preach down right lies on radio and in their shite tabloids that anybody felt strongly about nothing.

All I can say is, thank Christ I don't get to read Scottish papers because the shoddy standrads of journalism in comparison with their English conterparts is incredible

Totally agree with everything said in your last 2 posts mate. Aye, think we'd all be first to admit the paedo chants weren't in the best taste and possibly wee bit OTT but by no means any worse than whats been sung up and down the country, aberdeen fans have even been laughing at some of the abuse dished out to their manager.

It appears that a lot of our own fans have been getting their knickers in a twist over an incident which has been dressed up by the media and is already yesterdays news. I think there's a lot more things that need to be sorted in Scottish football rather than worrying about a group of guys on the bevy singing about mark mcghee having a penchant for wee boys.

All I can say is, thank Christ I don't get to read Scottish papers because the shoddy standrads of journalism in comparison with their English counterparts is incredible

Firstly my moral outrage is not OTT. The chants were OTT. However, I do not wat to argue about that again as it has gone on for days now. I want to make clear I heard about the chants not from the papers but firstly from this forum and then confirmed from my friends who I would have been at the game with had I not been working til 12 o clock. I actually agree with you about the media as I have not bought a paper in yonks and as for the phone ins they are just mouthpieces for the old firm as if they need another set. They let very few non OF fans on which I have learned from experience, hence why I stopped listening to them years ago.

Where my problem lies is because we disagree, and I have to acknowledge a large proprtion of this forum also disagrees, is because I share (and many others) a different opinion from you that does not make me , hyper sensitive, jumping on the bandwagon, pandering to the media, a coward or any of the other accusations that have been directed at people who share my point of view. Although not directed at me personally I am not hiding behind an anonymous username. My email address can be accessed through my SMO profile and also my bebo address on which my name and photo's can be accessed freely.

In addition, I beleive the time has come for us to draw a line under this discussion. We should get back to doing what we do best and unite in supporting MFC. We will not always agree on everything but one thing we always will agree on is our passion for Motherwell Football Club. We have a new manager and our 7th Jim Gannon signing arrived today. Let is look forward and agree to disagree on this issue that has at times turned personal.

afteralll

We are all Motherwell til we die!

The chants may not have been in good taste but the majority of the people moaning about them werent at the game! Any reason behind that?

I get that point. However, I was there, just along from yourself.

I know what was sung, what wasn't and what I thought shouldn't. Initially it was amusing stuff but I personally feel it went a bit beyond the pale. We've come off worse in the media. They don't miss a chance, so this was a nice ball into an unmarked goalmouth.

BurnBroomfield sumed it up pretty well. The chants may not have been in good taste but the majority of the people moaning about them werent at the game! Any reason behind that?

Addressing this and a couple of the previous points

I was gigging but couldn't make it - as previously stated - but really wanted to attend. glad I didn't go now

When it reared it's head in Llanelli - I did approach the guys singing it - but that's because I knew them, however if I didn't know them I'd be more reluctant. So I'm pretty clued up on the context and knew about the songs from way befor they hit the press -

Any other info required?

BurnBroomfield sumed it up pretty well. The chants may not have been in good taste but the majority of the people moaning about them werent at the game! Any reason behind that?

Does that mean that to have an opinion over an incident that tars Motherwell fans as mindless bigotted morons you have to be at the game? If that was so with an average home crowd of 5,000ish these boards would be bloody silent on match days.

What songs are now on the "list" following Saturday's activities?????

"Whores, Poofs & Junkies" - obviously kinda similar to the Aberdeen ditty in falsely accusing rival fans of being Whores, Poofs & Junkies

"You're HIV haha" - again all those times over the years sung towards Hibees & Hearts Fans but quite clearly unfair and OTT on the majority of their fans.

"Junkie Junkie Junkie" - sung to Andy McLaren in attempt to wind him up (which clearly worked) but surely OTT taunting an individual who has personal demons.

"We're only here to drink your beer and Sh*g your fu*king women" - was it consensual or forced, are we glorifying rape???

"shi*ting on the Hibees on the way" - oooooooh yuck, actually doing the toilet on someone

any mare???

What songs are now on the "list" following Saturday's activities?????

"Whores, Poofs & Junkies" - obviously kinda similar to the Aberdeen ditty in falsely accusing rival fans of being Whores, Poofs & Junkies

"You're HIV haha" - again all those times over the years sung towards Hibees & Hearts Fans but quite clearly unfair and OTT on the majority of their fans.

"Junkie Junkie Junkie" - sung to Andy McLaren in attempt to wind him up (which clearly worked) but surely OTT taunting an individual who has personal demons.

"We're only here to drink your beer and Sh*g your fu*king women" - was it consensual or forced, are we glorifying rape???

"shi*ting on the Hibees on the way" - oooooooh yuck, actually doing the toilet on someone

any mare???

Alan Main - alky dad

Alan Main - alky dad

:P

Here's an idea... why not sing songs of support of Motherwell FC... like you know, be supporters?

The fans who sang about McGhee being a paedophile - is that the only song they sung? I think you'll find they backed the team considerably more than anyone else in the away end at Pittodrie, but then it's not a 'best fan' competition....is it?

Does that mean that to have an opinion over an incident that tars Motherwell fans as mindless bigotted morons you have to be at the game? If that was so with an average home crowd of 5,000ish these boards would be bloody silent on match days.

What's bigoted about calling Mark McGhee a paedophile? :P

:nod:

There is a huge thread for the newboys at the Club... whits the point having that thread if fans are more interesting singing about the opposition? :P

I like the banter between rivals fans, without it, football would be soul-less!!

We all talked about the great atmosphere created by the Steaua fans over there - did anyone know the lyrics they were using?? From talking to one of the Bar Managers who supported Steaua some of them where crazy compared to the list above!!!

:nod:

There is a huge thread for the newboys at the Club... whits the point having that thread if fans are more interesting singing about the opposition? :P

Because this is a debate about how our club is perceived in the media and whether it is acceptable to the rest of the support. Close the thread if it is tiresome.

The fans who sang about McGhee being a paedophile - is that the only song they sung? I think you'll find they backed the team considerably more than anyone else in the away end at Pittodrie, but then it's not a 'best fan' competition....is it?

Exactly.

Never would I claim to be a better Well fan than anyone else but if these people actually went to the games instead of waiting to see what the press write and then coming to post there pish on here then maybe they would get the whole picture.

I fully respect that some people may have other commitments or may not be able to splash out silly cash on football games but it is constantly the same people on this website who continue to moan, could you try and make a difference instead of just firing out your pish on here which is not productive at all!