Wee Article In The Herald

johnstone

it comes across as more of an ego trip, making the team sit down and watch his greatest moment on dvd.

Or he's getting them to watch what he wants them to do. It is a lot easier to show than it is to tell someone.

add that to jimgannnon.co.uk, the fact that's he's in love with a 4-5-1 that doesn't suit the players we have, him constantly going on about winning fair play prizes and passing football without ever acknowledging that that's what we've been doing for the past couple of years

All he has said is he likes his team to be able to pass from back to front and back again. Hence why Craigan has come under pressure, and has risen to the challenge on occasions. His formation is, his formation and I'm sorry but three games in the league and not a single defeat means it is working...

and his determination to play the youngest team possible (most likely to enhance his reputation as someone who develops young players) and i think we could be dealing with someone who is as much of an egomaniac if not more so than mcghee.

Shame on him thinking the young boys are good enough for the SPL. Yet to be proven wrong. As for being egomaniac, then if it works then why not, the fact of the matter is all he has come out and said is "His Team, My Boys, Us, We, Together" - if that is being egotistic then long may it continue.

i've been at 8 of the 9 games so far and it's been on the whole very positive the guy isn't the messiah and there are still some question marks around him.

If he had been here 10 years, won the Scottish Cup got us playing effectively there would still be question marks. And I think he'll enjoy that fact.

I'm really trying to figure out how anyone could have a problem with what he has done so far as 2 months ago we were all but relegated by a few on here, it was the end of the world with so many First Teamers gone, the media all predicting us being relegated while at the same time the same fans and media being ignorant of what is going on at other clubs (granted) but so far we have a manager who has more than a plan a - anyone willing to find out when the last time we had one of them?

Jim Gannon certainly is a character who will divide people. He's clearly very self-confident but that may sometimes come across as arrogant.

I can see why Gannon would have them watching DVDs of his side at Stockport. As others have said, if he'd got that team playing exactly the style of play he wants then it makes total sense to show the players exactly what he has in mind. Aye, Liverpool play the same 4-2-3-1 but if he shows the players that then they're likely to sit and think "Well, that's all very well but I'm not Gerrard/Torres/Carragher".

I've heard talk from down south that he's very much "my way or the highway". And that's part of the reason for his fondness for young players. He seems them as easier to mould into the type of players he wants. Which is fair enough, it's his neck on the line. I've never heard of a club getting rid of the full first team but keeping the manager when results go badly.

But for all perceived stubborness and foibles, he has engendered a positivity among the fans. Whether that goes for the players or not as well, I can't say. But the players who are in the first team will always be happier than those not playing, it's the nature of the thing.

All I know is that 10 days before the Llanelli game, the only recognisable first team we could have put out would have read

Fraser

Saunders Craigan Reynolds Hammell

McGarry Lasley Fitzpatrick O'Brien

Murphy Sutton

Not a terrible team but we now have options and irrespective of what you think of the teams he put out against St Johnstone and Aberdeen, they were certainly better than the eleven I have listed above. It's very early in his reign and I'm not ready to proclaim him the new messiah, but I saw more smiles coming out of the Kilmarnock game than I had in over a year at Fir Park...

Every new system takes a bit of getting used to but, as I said elsewhere, it's the best start to a league season we've had for over 10 years. That's an achievement for us, that's for sure!

it comes across as more of an ego trip, making the team sit down and watch his greatest moment on dvd.

add that to jimgannnon.co.uk, the fact that's he's in love with a 4-5-1 that doesn't suit the players we have, him constantly going on about winning fair play prizes and passing football without ever acknowledging that that's what we've been doing for the past couple of years and his determination to play the youngest team possible (most likely to enhance his reputation as someone who develops young players) and i think we could be dealing with someone who is as much of an egomaniac if not more so than mcghee.

i've been at 8 of the 9 games so far and it's been on the whole very positive the guy isn't the messiah and there are still some question marks around him.

this is the kind of stuff that melvinbragg was posting and was getting slated for about a year to eighteen months ago about McGhee.

I think some of the stick you taken from this is a bit harsh but I think the comments about watching stockport explain that well enough.

On the whole I hope your tin hat has stood up well! :(

this is the kind of stuff that melvinbragg was posting and was getting slated for about a year to eighteen months ago about McGhee.

On the whole I hope your tin hat has stood up well! :(

True :(

Luckily, I had no need for a tin hat as I have a hard heid. Although I have to say that when steelboy mentioned about sticking rigidly to one formation irrespective of whether it suited the personnel, an individual with a big coupon in the shape of a shovel popped into my head.

As an aside, I think I've done very well reining myself in as others have stuck the boot into our previous manager. Mainly, I suspect, because I'm just content that he left... ;)

I realise that Aberdeen will probably finish above us in the league. But I don't care. The interview with him on the BBC website that is linked in the McGhee thread in Other Football has given me more joy than his entire second season with us did. The haunted, pained expression on his face...

I have such a big grin on my face right now, I could be auditioning for the part of The Joker... :(

I've heard talk from down south that he's very much "my way or the highway".

I get that impression so far also and quite frankly I would say you can't manage a professional football team by committee (or at least it rarely works) so I am completely at ease that the guy in charge at FP clearly has the balls to insist it's "my way or the highway". Obviously with his experience he'll have enough about him to be clever with it and pick his battles etc, but generally speaking he's the guy charged with running the team, he's paid to make decisions, so I'm glad he's doing so.

I also don't necessarily subscribe to the thoughts that he's trying to make square pegs fit round holes with his rigid system either, so to speak. I would say there's already enough evidence to the contrary that he's happy to make changes to personnel or system when required and isn't afraid to admit he's got it wrong. I give you the changes at Perth as an example. I know you can take the glass half empty view that you'd have preferred him to get it right from the beginning, but given the circumstances I find that incredibly unreasonable. I think it's more fitting to praise the fact he changed it.

I get that impression so far also and quite frankly I would say you can't manage a professional football team by committee (or at least it rarely works) so I am completely at ease that the guy in charge at FP clearly has the balls to insist it's "my way or the highway".

I wasn't necessarily complaining when I stated that, Rev. I just get the impression he can be hardline at times. Did the Stockport fans not mention he fell out with the club captain and the guy never pulled the shirt on again? And I've heard a tale of him throwing a Stockport player off a bus in London after an away game and telling him to make his own way home. Mind you, I don't know what the player had said/done <_<

Someone I know down south described him to me as like Alex Ferguson without the trophies. I can live with that...

I wasn't necessarily complaining when I stated that, Rev.

Apologies Melvin, I didn't intend it to come across as a retort. I only picked up on your quote as it summed up my opinion on the matter!

I certainly can live with the description you give.

At the end of the day, it's his heid on the block one way or the other, so I think you have to give the guy the chance to do things his way. I'm not going to decry him as arrogant, he may well be - infact probably is, as it's a fine line - but at the same time I'm not going to be one of these folk who think the sun shines out his backside either. As long as he's doing what he's doing with the interests of the club as the centrepiece - as per his job description - then I'm happy. McGhee had similar traits to Jim Gannon in a way, but I think my last sentence there could sum up where he went wrong.

I get that impression so far also and quite frankly I would say you can't manage a professional football team by committee (or at least it rarely works) so I am completely at ease that the guy in charge at FP clearly has the balls to insist it's "my way or the highway".

Ditto Reverend (no offence either Melvin). Too often in the past we've had "nice" guys in charge and that doesn't always work. JG is in charge and the decisions should be his. Yes, its his way or none at all but from what I've heard he's very much "team minded" - decisions are taken for the good of the team. Nothing wrong in that. Sometimes in the distant past players didn't always follow the manager's instructions on the field and got away with it. Not now.