Slane & O'brien

Jay

PM'd From Busta Nut to Jay 'cos he is banned from posting

I (Busta) have heard a rumor or two about a few of our players.

Jim O'brien and Paul Slane.

From what I was told both of the players contracts are up in or around December. (dunno why)

Jim O'Brien has apparently told the club he won't be re-signing and the club offered Paul Slane £200 p/w but the Tims have offered at Least 4 times that and that's where he's off to.

Just a rumor I heard from a 'well informed source!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe the club offered Slane 200 p/w. That's just over 10 grand a year; I know we don't throw money around, but that just doesn't add up.

Regardless, if any player is out of contract soon and is not going to re-sign, they should be dropped now in favour of someone who wants to play for the club.

Yeah, regardless of contract situation we will receive a fee, even if only on a YTS rolling deal.

As both ourselves and Rangers received cash from Cardiff for Roscoe when his deal ran out.

Just minimal compensation, and not a fraction what we could earn if Slane was to sign and be sold on at a later date.

I don't believe the club offered Slane 200 p/w. That's just over 10 grand a year; I know we don't throw money around, but that just doesn't add up.

Regardless, if any player is out of contract soon and is not going to re-sign, they should be dropped now in favour of someone who wants to play for the club.

Someone needs shooting if that is what we offering him.

I ken he only a young lad just breaking through but he clearly a promising talent and if we trying to fend of likes of Celtic that is an absolute joke of an offer. True enough if he is out of contract we could offer him ten times that much and he might still not sign but I'll be very disappointed if we lose both these players for nothing or peanuts.

Aye, that canny be right. No way would an SPL player be financially better off stacking shelves in Asda.

Anyway, if the first rumour is true then I'll be gutted. O'Brien is an integral part of our team and I get a hard on every time he gets the ball. No more bangers at Fir Park for me. :lol:

It's maybe 'another' £200 per week (on top of what hes getting).

If they're playing hardball, which I don't necessarily believe, then so be it. Motherwell will go on and they'll be remembered in the way that McCormack and Pearson have been as opposed to Clarky, Faddy and Porter.

I've heard the rumour that a deal was already done with Celtic for 40K for Slane, MMcG had agreed it, Slane is Celtic minded etc etc etc. if that was the case then why is he still here???

What will be etc.

Aye, to be honest, I don't really worry that much about players moving on. Every club has to deal with that issue from East Stirling to Real Madrid.

A lot of people on here didn't rate O'Brien when he joined us, but we managed to turn him into a decent player. I'm sure JG knows of others out there who we can develop in a similar vein.

I would be surprised if O'Brien decides to go, after all he has already experienced what it feels like to be shut out at a big club. For all he is an exciting player I don't think he has proved enough yet. I'm being critical now but his finishing is not good and he is a bit light weight. I am picking holes but I think that another couple of years with Motherwell could turn him into a top notch player.

The Slane situation is frustrating. Small clubs should be protected in some way to avoid them doing all the hard work with a young player just for a big club to come in and reap the rewards. As an aside Murray Park must be one of the poorest value for money initiatives in World Football. How many good players have they produced? Celtics record for producing young players is not much better. I suppose ultimately they don't have to as clubs like Motherwell, Hibs etc are effectively the Old Firms youth policy.

Firstly, figures of what terms players have offered or earn should be discounted. It would surprise many what Motherwell actually offer...

The Slane story has been mentioned more than once, our information has it his father is doing his bidding and has turned his head to untold riches at the San Giro and similarly to that of James McCarthys' father, it helps not having to put his hand in his pocket at whatever republican drinking hovel he finds himself in. :lol:

Now, as I'm biased (hell, I'd wager neutral outsiders looking in would view this the same) and taking money aside, why would you hamper proven development and the possible future rewards for your offspring? You would question personal ambition too.

As for O'Brien, word from his hometown differs to the opening post. A recent spell in the media suggests different too. If only he was as good as is lauded too on this board...

I' be surprised if O'Brien were to refuse a new contract, he's only been at the club for a season and has made good progress in that time but I would say isn't yet good enough for a step up. As for Slane, it's hard to tell what might be going on there but I would hope that those close to him are doing what is best for his career and not themselves. He either stays, gets his chance to play first team football and improves as a player or he moves, we get a development fee and he disappears into the what-if's of Scottish football.

It wouldn't be a shock to me if they were both still here plying their trade at the start of next season's campaign.

was there not a thread on here round about the start of the season about the £40k to celtic. In it a "friend" said that it had been agreed by MMg but when slane found out about it he would have none of that despite being a celtic fan as he knew he would have a chance of first team football with us and a chance to develop as a player ?

As for JOB , MMG signed him on a 2 year contract at the end of last summer. He could sign a preseason deal with another team but not go for nowt until the summer

Why would anyone better then Motherwell want to offer Jim O'Brien a better deal than what he has got at Fir Park ? Paul Slane is nothing more than a "Promising Youngster" with nothing to offer the first team other than, an occaisional bit of magic. These two players could leave and I wouldn't miss a heartbeat. MFC will move on !!

If they don't want to be here, then ta ta from me. Would get compo for them both.

Would be disappointed to see O'Brien bugger off but I think McGhee would have already sniffed him out about joining him.

Couldn't give a toss about Slane as he is only a promising wee boy - give him too much cash at that age and he might find the pub to be better than the training ground :woop:

If they are off the wage bill it gives Jimbo more cash to play with and get more quality in from down south or maybe sign Ruddy in January :lol:

A couple of amusing reactions to this rumour.

Some of it is like being back at school. You don't want to play with us? I don't care. Fine go away then and never come back again, ever....and you were rubbish to play with anyway......

Sorry but O'Brien and Slane aren't shite and if any of the two of them did happen to go in January in the short term at least they would be likely missed, with who knows what you might miss out on if they continue to develop.

I don't disagree for a second that life would go without them but they don't become poorer players or not worth bothering about overnight just because there's a bit of chat about them considering their options.

I think its indicative of how well these 2 players have been performing that they are the subject of transfer speculation.

It's been very apparent in recent games when Jim O Brien has been getting kicked up and down the park that other teams struggle to contain him, for me he is improving game by game and when he goes off we miss his pace and width.

As for Slane he was proving to be a very exciting prospect and he gives us a similar style of play to Jim O Brien with the gallousness of youth.

I wouldn't like us to lose either player

I think its indicative of how well these 2 players have been performing that they are the subject of transfer speculation.

It's been very apparent in recent games when Jim O Brien has been getting kicked up and down the park that other teams struggle to contain him, for me he is improving game by game and when he goes off we miss his pace and width.

As for Slane he was proving to be a very exciting prospect and he gives us a similar style of play to Jim O Brien with the gallousness of youth.

I wouldn't like us to lose either player

What transfer speculation ? The transfer window is closed , you basing this on a rumour that says Slane has been offered £200 a week !!?

Slane hasnt kicked a ball in the league yet , i dont think Obrien will be playing in wide midfield once Humphrey and Slane return. So im not seeing how well both are performing

We'll see where Obrien ends up , he wont get any better than us up here , fair play if he moves down South and earns himself a few quid but he isnt even close to being as good as Jim Paterson , someone else whos worth was hugely over exaggerated on this board so he better take a cushion with him if he does move down there