Slane & O'brien

Jay

This thread is nothing but a hate thread, spouting some sort of weird agenda.

What on earth do you have to gain by posting this bile, good players for motherwell always move on so if they do i wish then all the best, all it does is raise the profile of our club as a great stepping stone.

Keep them coming !!!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a rumour I will be taking with a pinch of salt.

But if Slane does leave having played a handful of competitive games for us then I would be dissapointed. On the other hand if a 17 year old wants to leave us having almost zero experience when he could in theory become a first team regualar and then move on - well its fair play to him.

As for Jim O'Brien, well he has been excellent this season and is our main threat in the team, but again it might be a risky career move to jump ship so soon. A few years under Gannons stewardship could do him wonders for the future.

This is a rumour I will be taking with a pinch of salt.

But if Slane does leave having played a handful of competitive games for us then I would be dissapointed. On the other hand if a 17 year old wants to leave us having almost zero experience when he could in theory become a first team regualar and then move on - well its fair play to him.

As for Jim O'Brien, well he has been excellent this season and is our main threat in the team, but again it might be a risky career move to jump ship so soon. A few years under Gannons stewardship could do him wonders for the future.

This is the post that sums it up for me.

I would be gutted to lose O'Brien. He has been excellent for us this season and long may it continue!

Slane hasnt kicked a ball in the league yet , i dont think Obrien will be playing in wide midfield once Humphrey and Slane return. So im not seeing how well both are performing

O'Brien has already featured alongside Humphrey and Slane in the same team and it was a system that worked so you might be surprised at how the shape of the team will chance once they are both back.

A couple of amusing reactions to this rumour.

Some of it is like being back at school. You don't want to play with us? I don't care. Fine go away then and never come back again, ever....and you were rubbish to play with anyway......

Sorry but O'Brien and Slane aren't shite and if any of the two of them did happen to go in January in the short term at least they would be likely missed, with who knows what you might miss out on if they continue to develop.

I don't disagree for a second that life would go without them but they don't become poorer players or not worth bothering about overnight just because there's a bit of chat about them considering their options.

Spot on man.

Slane was one of our best performers in our European game and pretty much ripped the pish out the Steau defence during the home game. Obviously we've not seen if he has any consitency or how well he performs on the (arguably) smaller games where the same adrenaline and excitement might not be there. Regardless, he has certainly caught plenty of folks attention and I for one can't wait to see what he can offer us in the SPL.

As for Jim O, I don't think many people appreciate the work that he does for us. He has set up quite a few goals this season and won countless free kicks in dangerous areas. I think the players around him need to learn to make more moves off the ball as he has a habit of skinning a man then having no one to pass to. Once the players can read each other a bit more then he will absolutely integral to our team.

As for Jim O, I don't think many people appreciate the work that he does for us. He has set up quite a few goals this season and won countless free kicks in dangerous areas. I think the players around him need to learn to make more moves off the ball as he has a habit of skinning a man then having no one to pass to. Once the players can read each other a bit more then he will absolutely integral to our team.

Its all about opinions and the above in mine is absolute pish. Ask our strikers how many chances he's creating.

Im off now for the day though so will sword you and present the facts on my return :lol:

Its all about opinions and the above in mine is absolute pish. Ask our strikers how many chances he's creating.

Im off now for the day though so will sword you and present the facts on my return :lol:

It's them that are doing fuck all at the moment. O'Brien has been far and away the best player in the team this season and looks like he is the only player of taking the ball forwards and causing the opposition problems.

As for Slane he is a cracking young player and will make a huge difference going forward when he is back from injury.

Im off now for the day though so will sword you and present the facts on my return :blink:

Eat these facts.... ;)

Created all three goals against Killie, won the penalty against Dundee United last week and i would say all in all he has been the most consistent in the team this season.

Exactly what I was gonna say. Very unlucky not to score the winner against St Johnston with that volley off the bar as well and I'm sure he's hit the post since then (might be mistaken).

I don't get how folk can't see it? He turns defenders inside out every single game only to find no one else has kept up with play or managed to get themselves into a supporting position.

Created all three goals against Killie, won the penalty against Dundee United last week and i would say all in all he has been the most consistent in the team this season.

So you've quoted the only highlights. Don't think Mr Gannon shares the same viewpoint somehow... Doubt he'll return O'Brien to full-back when he has the fully fit duo of Slane and Humphreys at his disposal, but, what does he know? :blink:

I don't get how folk can't see it? He turns defenders inside out every single game only to find no one else has kept up with play or managed to get themselves into a supporting position.

he had ripped whittaker and a few others an new arsehole over the first few games of the season but hibs clearly knew what to expect from o'brien on saturday and it resulted in us losing the ball for their first goal. he even ended up getting switched to the right as it wasn't happening for him at all on the left. other teams will pick up on the fact that he's looking to spin infield and drive at defenders, if he's kept on the outside then he's not as much of a threat as his crossing isn't up to much.

it also looked to me like he got hooked for commiting such a stupid tackle for the free kick for their first goal. i think he can be a big player for us this season but it's not going to be as easy for him as it has been.

So you've quoted the only highlights. Don't think Mr Gannon shares the same viewpoint somehow... Doubt he'll return O'Brien to full-back when he has the fully fit duo of Slane and Humphreys at his disposal, but, what does he know? :blink:

O'Brien is better than Humphrey. Fair enough Humphrey has only had a couple of games, if that, but he doesn't seem to have an end product when it comes to crossing or shooting (2 decent chances against Flamutari). Fully agree with you about Slane he is a star in the making. Who has been more consistent than O'Brien then?

JOB has been one of our better players in the league this season without a doubt.

I also don't get the crap people on here spout about Slane can go if he wants, no great loss. In my opinion from what we saw in those European games he is a great prospect, and whilst it will go against the grain, I didnt get as excited about Faddy after his first 3 games as what i do about Slane. The kids got the potential to be an absolute superstar!

While we are at it, yes Humphery has had his personal issues to deal with, but that doesnt make him the superstar you would think from reading these boards since he's come back to training.

From his appearances before he went home, he was never in the same league as either JOB or Slane, and whilst he never disgraced himself on Saturday, he certainly didnt turn the game.

he had ripped whittaker and a few others an new arsehole over the first few games of the season but hibs clearly knew what to expect from o'brien on saturday and it resulted in us losing the ball for their first goal. he even ended up getting switched to the right as it wasn't happening for him at all on the left.

JOB was playing through the middle for the majority of the game on Saturday, thats why he wasn't as effective, not because Hibs snuffed him out.

I also don't get the crap people on here spout about Slane can go if he wants, no great loss.
I don't think people were saying that. What has been said is that we can't stop him leaving and, like every other time a good player has left, we'll just get on with it.

Certainly in other threads, there has been the insinuation that he's a wee fanny, celtic minded if he doesnt sign for us, couldnt care less etc etc.

I don't know, or care if he's a fanny or not, on the pitch in the European games he was fucking dynamite! The sooner he's fit, the better.

Think that was insinuated by guys who went to school with him. Jealousy perhaps?

O'Brien has been a stand out this season. Behind much of our attacking play, could still improve end product at times but causes opposition defenders more problems than rest of team combined.

Slane looks like a great prospect, far from proven or finished article but looks like the most exciting youth player to come through since McFadden. Be galling if we lost him before we got a chance to see him make a name for himself in claret and amber.

I expect both these players to move onto bigger things but I think they'd be better served playing here for a bit longer at least.

Slane has looked good , he is willing to get the ball and run at defenders , with something productive at the end of it , he worried defences more in his couple of hours than O'Brien has managed in over a season and 3 months , he's scored as many goals as Obrien anyway (at Motherwell , JOB did manage one at Dunfermline but none at Dundee United , what a threat !)

Slane is untried though , hopefully he can be a new Ross McCormack , someone to take the pressure off the defence by running with the ball , beating defenders , scoring goals or playing others in , in and around the box. How folk can say he's a superstar when he hasnt played a league game is beyond me , if he's as good as we hope he's worth his weight in gold , fingers crossed but far far too early to say.

JoB ripped Whittaker apart did he - leading to a corner that day if i recall rightly, what a threat , what chances did we create ?

At Tannadice he done well to win that penalty after the defender had played him the ball , the usual suspects on here that think he is a good player gave him less MOTM votes than Steve Jennings , who was taken off after 25 mins , aye he had a stormer and we created bugger all else

At Aberdeen he was up against a kid , what did we create that day?

St Johnstone he couldve done better at both goals we conceded , confirmed to me that he should be going forwards if in the team at all. Maybe he should be worried in that case as the manager has already decided he isnt indespensible in wide midfield this season

10 man mid 1st division Inverness ? Llanelli ?? Tough nuts for an excellent wing wizard to crack

Killie agreed he actually created something , about the only time he's done so in his time here IMO - if he done it every week id be happy to have him , what we got against Hibs is what he gives every week though , flattering to decieve , killing space for others , running into corners instead of towards goal and the opposition full back and keeper delighted , smoking cigars safe in the knowledge that he's playing and he isnt going to create anything or score (ill give you his corner on Saturday BTW if you accept the rest hit the first man and i wont even mention his penalty against THEM)

Suppose really it comes down to our differing opinions on the season so far , personally i think week in week out we are struggling to create at all , you think we've created loads as he's been excellent , we must be going to different games :lol:

Sounds like a few are going to Real Madrid games.

If you think JOB isn't a decent player for MFC to have on their books then you've not been coming to Fir Park that long and you're expectation is higher than Jose Mourinho's.

I agree, it's very clear that ML1 just doesn't like O'Brien and never will like him.