Slane & O'brien

Jay

Sounds like a few are going to Real Madrid games.

If you thirte-italic.pngnk JOB isn't a decent player for MFC to have on their books then you've not been coming to Fir Park that long and you're expectation is higher than Jose Mourinho's.

So now he hasnt been excellent this season or our best player ripping teams apart every week , he's just a decent player to have on our books ?

I know you havent been to any more games than me this season or last so ive as much right as you to offer an opinion on what he offers .

Educate me on who has been missing the chances JoB has been creating while he's been excellent this season and in what games.

Paul Slane has hurt teams more in his very very very limited game time , i doubt he'll be moving to Spain in January and i doubt if Inter will be sniffing around the halfwayline shuffler either.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have every right to air your opinion I never said you hadn't. I'm only offering a different one. I come on these boards to air my opinion - which on many occasions are different to many other posters. That's what it's all about and long may it continue.

I think JOBs corners and crosses and forward runs have been excellent this year and he's creating way more openings than anyone else in the team.

The main thing for me is his preference to get forward, and to get there quick and as direct as possible drawing corners, free kicks and penalties - I think thats exactly what Gannon is after.

if i sat with a notebook and noted evertime a motherwell player lost possesion or failed to cut out a pass or missed a tackle or a header or gave away possession I'd have topped myself in the 80's.

That's the way goals come in any football game - even in top Premiership games.

I think there's something else going on if you can't see the positives in JOB and as NWF says - it sounds like you just never will like him.

I guess as a long standing fam of MFC I can't really see where you're coming from with this other than you have something against him. I really don't know what you expect from Motherwell Football Club if the football recently isn't waht you're after.

Who in the current squad would you put on the team sheet in front of him? Who in the SPL within our budget (or even outwith our budget) would you put in front of him.

Jim O'Brien is one of the best players we've had at the club in a long time and I think we should try and keep him.

This has been the most enjoyable start to a season I can remember for long and weary. I really don't see the point in 'making up' negativity to spoil it!

Absolutely agree Mr Diggle. O'Brien is full of energy and uses it to the benefit of the full team. Yes, his preference is to go forward, but the amount of times you can see him chasing back, blocking crosses and making clearances from the box is brilliant. I said right at the start of the season that O'Brien is going to be our most important player this season and I fully stand by that. Get the boy signed up!

Jim O'Brien is one of the best players we've had at the club in a long time and I think we should try and keep him.

Not too sure about that myself, don't think he is the finished article yet though. My opinion of course. I hope they both stay and develop their undoubted potential further at FP but I have my doubts that they want to.

Jim O'Brien has improved immensely as a player since he joined the Well. Indeed, he has improved a lot since the end of last season, and should this improvement continue he may well become one of the most important players in our team. At the moment though, he is still quite inconsistent, and does flatter to deceive on a number of occassions; but he does have excellent technique which allied with decent pace means that he is capable of getting the bums of the seats! I for one hope he signs a new contract but cant see it happening.

Slane is one of the most exciting prospects I can remember coming through at the Well, and would be gutted if he didn't resign. He could bag us a couple of million in a few years if he progresses, although if he does sign, I would imagine it would be a 2 year deal so that his options are open again after that period. I fecking despise Jean Marc Bosman!

Jim O'Brien has improved immensely as a player since he joined the Well. Indeed, he has improved a lot since the end of last season, and should this improvement continue he may well become one of the most important players in our team. At the moment though, he is still quite inconsistent, and does flatter to deceive on a number of occassions; but he does have excellent technique which allied with decent pace means that he is capable of getting the bums of the seats! I for one hope he signs a new contract but cant see it happening.

Slane is one of the most exciting prospects I can remember coming through at the Well, and would be gutted if he didn't resign. He could bag us a couple of million in a few years if he progresses, although if he does sign, I would imagine it would be a 2 year deal so that his options are open again after that period. I fecking despise Jean Marc Bosman!

The after effects of that case have hardly helped clubs like ourselves but how would you like to be sitting at your work, out of contract and being unable to move to a new job that is waiting for you because your current company hasn't received an offer it is happy with for your services? Whilst at the same time reducing your wages in the meantime.

Probably not very happy. Clubs abused the power they had over players and there in lies the blame for the pendulum swinging so far back the other way. If it wasn't Bosman it would have been someone else sooner or later.

The after effects of that case have hardly helped clubs like ourselves but how would you like to be sitting at your work, out of contract and being unable to move to a new job that is waiting for you because your current company hasn't received an offer it is happy with for your services? Whilst at the same time reducing your wages in the meantime.

Probably not very happy. Clubs abused the power they had over players and there in lies the blame for the pendulum swinging so far back the other way. If it wasn't Bosman it would have been someone else sooner or later.

Straying off topic here, but the Bosman case went too far in my opinion. His club undoubtedly abused their power by refusing to release him even though he was out of contract. For me, however, the common sense solution would have been to use what was already in place i.e. an arbitration panel. So if you were out of a contract and two clubs couldn't agree on a fee then the player *must* be allowed to leave, and the fee is decided in arbitration.

That way, the players still get to leave at the end of their contract and the clubs still generate revenue from transfer fees, albeit they would undoubtedly be less inflated (which might actually be a good thing).

That still requires the buying club to be willing to commit to arbitration. Risk for them being left with a fee that is beyond their willingness or capability to pay. Not sure how often in practice that was ever a problem but it still less than ideal.

I think the system as is regards to younger players like Slane needs to strengthened to protect clubs willing to develop young home grown players.

For example if he leaves us at end of the season for Celtic as well as initial compensation think we should be entitled to a guaranteed substantial percentage of future sell on fee and even a set fee per year linked to say his wage for a period of time. When exactly these should expire and how much are debateable but if he goes on to be a superstar we should get a right good whack and if he goes no where then what we get would reflect that.

On the wages they'd be on I'd quite happily take the reduction cos it'll still be way above what I'm earning. No sympathy here for overpaid wasters

Talking in particular about Bosman who wasn't at a big club making big money.

If for example Sol Campbell had been made to stay at Spurs when his contract ended and had his wages slashed from £30k a week to £3k a week whilst they sorted out his future I wouldn't be shedding any tears either.

However if you are on the wage of a lower SPL or scottish first division club the downside could have worse consequences.

Talking in particular about Bosman who wasn't at a big club making big money.

If for example Sol Campbell had been made to stay at Spurs when his contract ended and had his wages slashed from £30k a week to £3k a week whilst they sorted out his future I wouldn't be shedding any tears either.

However if you are on the wage of a lower SPL or scottish first division club the downside could have worse consequences.

It's not them who really benefit though is it? The big time charlies can rip the pish out clubs whilst the wee guy still gets it ripped oot him.

Principle might be sound but in reality is all wrong.

It's not them who really benefit though is it? The big time charlies can rip the pish out clubs whilst the wee guy still gets it ripped oot him.

Principle might be sound but in reality is all wrong.

Dunno you counted how many signing on fees Jim Hamilton has picked up in his career?

My main point though was don't blame Jean Marc Bosman it not really his fault.

Hard to guage who benefits most. Not that many big players move under freedom of contract but at same time it is definately something that puts power in their hands re contracts and engineering moves.

Where to begin with whats wrong in fitba, the amount of money is what distorts it as much as anything else. But it is incredibly frustrating at times supporting a club like ours that tries to develop young players but can barely have them play half a dozen games before your wondering who is going to poach them. Mind you we do benefit sometimes re signings of Porter, Coke and Humphrey.

It definately not ideal but seeing as it only really smaller clubs that suffer I'm not holding my breath on moves to improve matters.

PM'd From Busta Nut to Jay 'cos he is banned from posting

I (Busta) have heard a rumor or two about a few of our players.

Jim O'brien and Paul Slane.

From what I was told both of the players contracts are up in or around December. (dunno why)

Jim O'Brien has apparently told the club he won't be re-signing and the club offered Paul Slane £200 p/w but the Tims have offered at Least 4 times that and that's where he's off to.

Just a rumor I heard from a 'well informed source!

Sounds like a lot of shite to me

It is totally his fault which is why the Bosman ruling is so called. He done it, he did. The furren fucker.

We'll have to agree to differ. I'd portion the blame squarely on clubs abusing the power they held over players and it was only a matter of time before it happened and if it hadn't been Bosman it'd have been someone else.

We'll have to agree to differ. I'd portion the blame squarely on clubs abusing the power they held over players and it was only a matter of time before it happened and if it hadn't been Bosman it'd have been someone else.

It would have been Ross Jack, his case was the next one to come up, in a dispute with Airdrie

Lots of talk in the press today:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/s...rem/8286436.stm - bbc gossip.

The sun has an article and here is one from the record:

MOTHERWELL manager Jim Gannon has offered new deals to Paul Slane and Steve Saunders as part of his long-term strategy for the club - and its talented youngsters.

The Fir Park boss, who has already fixed up Ross Forbes and Shaun Hutchison on extended contracts, is keen to tie up both players as soon as possible especially after Slane was linked with a move to Celtic.

He said: "Obviously I can't do all the deals at the same time so now Ross and Shaun are sorted I have made offers to Paul and Steve and looking forward to concluding them.

"Once the younger players are settled and sorted about their futures at the club we will move on to the senior players.

"There has been interest from Celtic over Paul but contract talks have not been at the forefront of his mind because he has been injured for the last few weeks.

"I spoke to him a while back and there is an offer on the table. But like any young player he wants to be reassured of his position at the club.

"We see Paul and Steve as players with a bright future here and they will play and train regularly with the first team.

"There is no better place for a player to be than in a team that's playing good football and at the right end of the table. I think it would be in Paul's best interest to stay and play here for the foreseeable future.

"I know Tony Mowbray and if Paul was to join Celtic then it would all be down to the progress he made at a club like this. It is not for me to say if Paul would or would not get a game there.

"I know they have a lot of wide attackers like Aiden McGeady, Shaun Maloney, Paddy McCourt and Niall McGinn so young players do get a chance but I can't say what would happen.

"Paul would obviously see Celtic as a good opportunity but he is still a young man. He is happy enough here and with the offer s he just needs to make sure he is making the right decision.

"He knows how much we like him and value him as a player and the chance we gave him. He has had a real taste of things with European football and wants more.

"In his formative years he needs to be in an environment where he is looked after, well supported and well educated and gets the opportunity to play regularly."

In fact Gannon has vowed to try to build the Lanarkshire side into a force that will be respected and looked up to in the SPL in the foreseeable future.

He does admit, though, that he doesn't feel any of his youngsters are ready to take the step up to the Old Firm or play at the highest level just yet.

However, the Well boss conceded he would not stand in the way of any of his players making a big-money move but would let natural progression take its course.

Gannon said: "We are building and want to consolidate things. We have a great crop of young players at Fir Park with the likes of Forbes, Hutchison, Saunders, Tom Hateley, Jamie Murphy, Slane and Chris Humphrey.

"There is a terrific core of 17 to 20-year-olds here right now who are going to be the backbone of this side and I want to see them grow up together and perform as a team together.

"I want to build a club and a group of players who are respected and revered at Motherwell and in the SPL for the next few years. That's what I would really like to see.

"There comes a natural time when a player is ready to move on. Players and managers know it.

"I don't think any of my young lads is ready to play at a higher level than the one they are currently at and I think Motherwell is a great environment for them to learn their trade.

"We play a smashing brand of football, we are in an improving environment and the players are enjoying their football.

"They are being looked after and are being rewarded.

"We will continue to do that in the years to come and if there is a chance to move on and they are ambitious to do so we won't stand in their way.

"At this stage of their careers they are being well served doing their apprenticeship at this club in their formative years."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/...86908-21716654/

It's a no brainer for Slane. Surely spending another 2 or 3 years here playing for the first team will benefit him far more than playing for the Under 19s for them.

Was watching the Bayern v Juventus game the other night and thought he was quite a similar player to Ribery. Hopefully we can keep a hold of him and see the best of him because what he showed in European games proved that he has got the potential to be a cracking player for the 'Well.

Quite surprised to type this but I wouldn't be shocked to see Slane go at all. The money AT HIS AGE would be enough to set him up for life. That itself would be quite tempting. Plus, whilst looking at te current Celtic team and the way things will go from now on he has got to feel confident about getting into the first team in the next few years. If Paddy McCourt can do it.........................

It's a no brainer for Slane. Surely spending another 2 or 3 years here playing for the first team will benefit him far more than playing for the Under 19s for them.

At the end of the day thats exactly what it boils down to - and its his call and his alone to make.

Does he stay and learn his trade and get first team exposure, or does he chase his dream and move to Celtic for more money and the hope of being a regular in a few years? The thing is, if he stays with us and things don't work out he might never get the chance to join Celtic again, and if that's his boyhood team, can he pass it up?

I'd be dissappointed to see him go as I haven't been this excited about a young Well player since Faddy burst onto the scene.