Motherwell V Falkirk

East_Stand_Al

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Start of the game they said it was pissing! :huh:

It was hammering it down earlier mate and most of last night so a wonder how soggy it was under foot today.

Theres also more wind here today than your hometown is famous for - blawin a gale as ma granny would say.

Thought Falkirk deserved a point today, we were awful in the second half for the most part. Coke and Forbes didn't really do enough in the middle of the park today I felt - not enough challenges went in on Falkirk's midfield, particularly when our defence had just cleared the ball.

Like Pie's said though - I'll take it.

O'Brien's done his achilles by the way - not sure how bad it is, but he offered to walk off and was told to lie still and get carried off.

Ideal. Take 3 points any day especially after we were shite today. Laboured win for us, by all accounts we were fairly poor. Plus points were obvious ones, Luas getting what is hopefully the first of many for us and Humphrey providing the assist on his first start back. Hopefully these two kick on and show us what they can do. Despite the cleansheet, don't think Craigans inclusion has made a great deal of difference, if Falkirk weren't completely murder they could've and should've had a few goals. Hutch coming back will be a big boost and if O'Brein is out for a while(bad achilles injury ends his season) Slane can't get back quick enough. Onwards and upwards Well, joint 3rd.

it's always good to get three points but that second half performance was as bad as we've played in a long time. forbes and coke were shocking, especially forbes, and with jennings and lasley sitting on the bench it has to be asked why a change wasn't made in the centre of the park. i also thought we were toothless up front again, we never really applied pressure to a poor falkirk defence and i doubt we'll ever look like scoring from open play until we switch to two up front.

on the positive side humphrey did well, it was good to see lukas get a goal and hammell played well again. other than that not much to be positive about and it's good we've got the international break to sort things out.

Forbes just was'nt at the races today, Coke was only slightly better.

Thought Jukebox done well at holding the ball up etc & Murphy was our best player by a country mile.

Moutakouil was howlin.

Still got the 3 points but, that was my last game for the forseeable future :huh:

Dont know if we saw different games, but Murphy was slow, no touch, no danger towards goal... Its time for him to make the next step... He has the talent, but showing too less recently!

I guess some players need to charge again. Hopefully the wee break will help the likes of Cokes, Murphy etc...

Ah: Hope Jim is not too bad injured!

Murphy? What did he do all game, I thought he went off at Half Time to be honest. Brilliant performance from Humphrey I thought, looks a real handful with his pace and when he gets right up to speed he'll be a great player for us.

A poor performance, but we won a game which last year I think we'd have lost or at least drew, so good stuff as far as that's concerned.

Good news first - we won. Bad news - we were fucking dire.

The first 20 minutes were dire, looked like it was the first time most of them had played the game. Jutkiewicz, who was awful, scored a fluke goal that hit off him and went him and we 'perked up' by a tiny amount until half time.

Second half I don't think we created a single decent chance in the second half while Falkirk headed over with an open goal gaping and might have had a goal when Ruddy caught the ball on, or maybe over the line. Falkirk fans seemed to think it was in.

Literally no excitement today at all - side ways and backwards passing, no tackles, no quality crossing, no chances, rotten basically. Gannon's midfield experiment with two holding midfielders at home to Falkirk was pretty negative.

I don't want to see another game like that again this season.

Ruddy (6) - Not much to do except watch Falkirk players miss open goals.

Moutaouakil (6) - Nothing came off for him today

Craigan (7) - Solid and steady.

Reynolds (6) - Did OK.

Hammell (7) - One of the better players today, not that was saying much

Hateley (6) - Patchy display

Coke (6) - Wandered around and didn't do anything terrible

Forbes (6) - Wasted playing in a deep position

Humphreys (6) - One touch of class with the corner that led to the goal, tried hard but I still don't think he's got the ability to match to his pace.

Murphy (6) - Good on the ball but floats about on the margins too often

Jutkiewicz (5) - Got the goal but showed nothing else.

Saunders (2) - Falkirk piled pressure down his side in the late stages

O'Brien (2) - Unfortunately injured, looked a bad one, lets hope it isn't

McHugh (1) - No impact that late in the game

Thought it was possibly the poorest game I've been at this season (was on holiday last week), and we still came away with a 1-0 victory. The football was scrappy, thought we defended well and got another clean sheet, although Falkirk did miss a horrendous chance. The only time we looked capable of opening them up was when O'Brien was on, hope he's not too badly hurt. Humphrey also did well I think, but Mouatoukil was absolutely rank rotten today.

Looks like O'Brien's injury could be a bad one, he looked in agony as he was stretchered off. :huh:

Conditions were a nightmare today and there is no doubt it affected the play. I'd take 3 points any day in a game like today when we weren't at our best so fair play to them for grinding out the result. Thought Chris Humphrey was our best player until he went off.

Moutakouil was howlin.

He'll be a shoe in for the Steelmen Online Man of the Match then!

Piss poor game, piss poor performance, good three points.

Thought a draw would have been a fair result, but delighted to sneak the win.

In a results-driven business, we did the business today. Good three points, Falkirk now five on the bounce without a goal. Nice to get another shut-out as well. Joint-third at the beginning of October, aye, when a certain previous manager left we'd all have jumped at the chance.

Why do so many folk on here spend so much time being negative about the team, if it's not Hammell's pish it's Moutaouakil is howlin, or this players shite or that players shite.

For fucks sake we are sitting joint third at the start of October having enjoyed another wee foray into Europe already this season and having have played some really great football.

We will win games and lose games throughout the season, there is no need to be so negative about the players though, they are honest professionals who whilst they wear our colours deserve our support.

The ability to win ugly at times is something we have lacked in the past when games like today's would have gone the other way.

Why do so many folk on here spend so much time being negative about the team, if it's not Hammell's pish it's Moutaouakil is howlin, or this players shite or that players shite.

For fucks sake we are sitting joint third at the start of October having enjoyed another wee foray into Europe already this season and having have played some really great football.

We will win games and lose games throughout the season, there is no need to be so negative about the players though, they are honest professionals who whilst they wear our colours deserve our support.

The ability to win ugly at times is something we have lacked in the past when games like today's would have gone the other way.

I agree with almost everything you say but it is a forum and people have the right to come on and say what they like.

Although I do think some people would prefer us to play fantastic and lose rather than what we are doing at the moment.

I also agree with your final point and IMO we would have lost this game last year.

A really good three points if not a sparkling performance.

We've all seen this kind of script so many times before when a team comes to Fir Park without having won or scored in goodness knows how long. We've been done loads of times by the return of the former player but we managed to see off not one but two of our traditional achilles heels.

Took us quite a while to get going. We were a bit fortunate that Falkirk weren't offering much of a threat at all in the first half which allowed us to work our way into control of the game.

Great delivery for the goal from Humphrey and he continues to show flashes of potential. He's shown pace and at times good crossing ability. If that comes together then he's going to be quite a threat.

Pleased to see Lukas get his name on the scoresheet. It may be his true worth to us won't quite be known until we get Slane and Humphrey/O'Brien on either wing feeding him. Just now though he still looks something of a square peg trying to fit into a round hole when he's up front on his own.

Second half we just dropped right out of it and had we conceded I don't think we could have complained. Rode our luck a couple of times and we can be thankful it was a goal shy Falkirk we were up against and not a side with more cutting edge.

But all things considered a win, a clean sheet and sitting where we are going into the international weekend gives us a brilliant platform to build from going forward.

I also agree with your final point and IMO we would have lost this game last year.

what does that even mean?

we're doing just now but there's no point kidding on everything is ideal. i'm not actually that bothered about results and although it's good to win there's not much satisfaction in being dragged down to the level of a team as poor as that falkirk. we've barely created a chance from open play in our last five league games, it's alright digging out a result today but the idea of watching games like that all through winter is dire.

the team we have just now is capable of far more than they've shown in the last three league games and i don't think it's unfair to get frustrated at the fact we've been so lacklustre tactically and in our efforts.

We're a tricky side to sum up at the moment I think. Defensively, we seem to be reasonably solid, last week's errors aside, Hibs didn't have too many chances. Today, we had a couple of scares/lapses but are doing better than we have in the past. We don't seem to pressure other teams too much and lose out on a lot of second balls which is understandably frustrating for the fans but is maybe down to some tiredness/niggling injuries in our midfield.

Falkirk were unlucky today not to take a point but it's good to be in a position where we're picking points up while not playing at our best. Hopefully when we do pick up in form again we'll start taking teams to pieces.

what does that even mean?

we're doing just now but there's no point kidding on everything is ideal. i'm not actually that bothered about results and although it's good to win there's not much satisfaction in being dragged down to the level of a team as poor as that falkirk. we've barely created a chance from open play in our last five league games, it's alright digging out a result today but the idea of watching games like that all through winter is dire.

the team we have just now is capable of far more than they've shown in the last three league games and i don't think it's unfair to get frustrated at the fact we've been so lacklustre tactically and in our efforts.

Read my full post before you criticise. I clearly said everyone is entitled to their opinion and that is what forums are for. This is clearly the type of game we would have lost last year and we lost a similar game in Falkirk. I won't give a shit if we watch games like this all through winter and keep winning. Obviously I would prefer us to play like Arsenal ever week. As long as we are winning I couldn't give a shit though. Are you trying to tell me if we play like that at the tattie bowl in a fortnight and come away with the same scoreline Motherwell fans will be moaning?

You are correct when you say we are capable of far more. However, does it not give you the slightest bit of pleasure that we are winning when playing pish ? We won't be pish all the time, we will play well again and if we win them we will have success this year. All successful teams play shite and win. Man U , Celtic, Rangers, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Chelsea etc all have dodgy spells in a season but still win more games than they lose. And before you say anything I'm not comparing us to any of the teams mentioned.