Motherwell V Falkirk

East_Stand_Al

We played very well against Rangers and should have won, but only drew.

We played very poorly against Falkirk and deserved a point at the most, but we won. I'll take that thank's very much. :P

These are the games we need to be winning and we've done that. Okay our performance left a lot to be desired for us, but it's points that count and I'd much rather be talking about 'winning ugly' than 'losing spectacularly'. A lot of work needs to be done, but at the end of the day, I'm happy to have won and well done to Jutkiewicz for getting off the mark.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read my full post before you criticise.

i meant what does the phrase "we'd have lost that game a year ago." mean? for me it's just an empty cliche trotted out by people who parrot the phrases and ideas they hear from the media.

i'm glad we won today but if falkirk had scored to draw or win i wouldn't have been too disappointed as i don't think we earned much from our play today. the way i see it is we're never going to win the league, third is unlikely and relegation is unlikely, what is their for us to do except try and play good football and entertain the fans. in the second half today we were so poor it's not even worth mentioning but in the first half they followed the game plan and played it 100% safe and didn't put a rank falkirk side under any significant pressure at all. no goals and very few chances from open play in our last five league games, that's rank. as others have said we've got a solid base to build from but until we get away from playing a lone striker and having two deep lying centre midfielders were never going to start threatening teams.

Glad for the game to finish today, thought that it was just a matter of time until they scored. Despite of all the work the guys were meant to have carried out in training after last weeks performance, it was more of the same, and we were very, very kucky to escape with all three points. There just doesn't seem to be any pace or guile about the guys. Forbes was absolutely anonymous and is totally hopeless in a challenge, too light weight to win a header or tackle but hopefully as he mateurs he will put on a bit more muscle.

The lack of attempts on goal is becoming a bit worrying, but what the hell all in all joint third this early in Big Jim Gannon's tenure is excellent.

C'mon the Well.

Composed and tidy in the first, obviously taking our foot off the gas in the second. In context of that, I'll take three points. Plus points, Hammelll in the first especially was outstanding, as was the Hump. Second half was one one to forget really. Poor Eddie May was on the radio saying sometimes a team plays rubbish like Motherwell and gets three points, we've been on the end of too many of those results for me to even feel a twinge of guilt. Life sucks pal, get a f**king helmet. Onwards and upwards...

That was poor stuff, although I thought we were going to tear them to ribbons after the 1st 25mins. I'm just a wee bit concerned that the guys who looked class over the 1st few matches, Coke and Forbes in particular, have hit a poor run of form at exactly the same time. Think we have the basis of a right good wee team (more attcking options needed though).

As for criticising the team on forums when they are 3rd in the league, I reckon it is fair game as long as it is constructive and realistic. We were pish today and I see no reason for beating about the bush - a half-decent team would probably have beaten us today.

Next 4 games, all away, will tell us a lot more about this squad.

As entertainment it has to go down as one of the worst games I've seen, but 3 points is 3 points and in a day with a lot of draws even better.

2 weeks to prepare for the celtic game and a massive improvement needed if we are to take anything from it.

Not a game to remember but when it comes the end of the season we're not going to care how we played, we'll see it as 3 points from Falkirk, who had not yet won a game this season. For some reason I think at half time the players just seemed to remember Falkirk don't score goals so decided by being 1-0 we had already done enough. Yeah we got off lightly a couple of times and the Falkirk keeper probably won't have many "easier" days but in the end, we're 3 points better of tonight... and joint third - and another clean sheet to add to our tally. ;)

Delighted with the 3 points but a poor display today. It was eunuch football at times,without even the hint of penetration or attacking threat. Olejnik barely had a save to make. I'd prefer at least one of the midfielders to try and get into the opposition box a bit more, Coke managed it once in the first half but his shot was tame.

On a more positive note,we continue to score from set-pieces and it's another clean sheet. Goodness knows how we managed that though. I thought Craigan and Reynolds were very indecisive in the second half,allowing the ball to bounce all over the place and sitting far too deep. Maybe the swirling wind in front of the South Stand and underfoot conditions played a part?

Still,I'm delighted with the league position and points total so far. As others have said,it's a solid base to work from but we need to add a bit more in the final third.

That game was absolute fodder. I will give them the benefit of the conditions being horrific and to be fair they worked hard and were quite determined. Good three points and games against the less good teams at home we must win and we have done that again today.

I suppose it all depends on why you go to football matches, to be entertained or simply to see your team win. Ideally it would be both.

I did not enjoy the game today. That's not a complaint, just a fact. For 25 mins we looked good but after the goal there seemed a lack of desire about the team. One effort on goal against a team that are struggling is not a good return.

Falkirk deserved a point and but for poor finishing would have had it. I think the positive is that we have managed to gain 12 points without really getting going. It's strange because the way things have gone we could be sitting clear at the moment in second on 14 pts but could just as easily be half a dozen pts worse of than we are. Maybe it is going to be a season of fine margins.

A hard worked for and earned 3 points for which we should be thankful.

People really need to get things into persepective. Jim Gannon arrived at FP only 4 months ago and IMO inherited as thread bare and poverty stricken squad as we've had since the mid-1970s and he was pitched straight into the qualifying rounds for the Europa League. I'm pretty sure that most fans at that stage feared the worst for the club. But he got us through that and although we didn't qualify, we did come out of it with loads of credit - only being beaten finally by ex-winners Steaua Bucharest.

He has quietly, efficiently and effectively taken some our own young players and allied them to some other young players he brought in, built up a decent looking side - in 4 months!!!!

He has taken us into the SPL campaign and after 7 games he has us 5th in the table only a few points from 3rd with only one defeat. With the exception of Celtic, we've now played all the sides in the top half of the table (Rangers, Hibs, Dundee Utd, Aberdeen) and have only lost once. I for one think he has performed nothing short of a miracle so far. Most fans would have chewed your hand off if you'd offered them all that after Mark McGhee left.

Okay, so we didn't play so well in the second half yesterday, but we still managed to win. Remember that young players form can be a bit in and out so give them a break and stick with them. Its great to see youngsters trying their best and, with no small measure of success as opposed to watching elderly deadbeats whose best years are behind them.

Man speaks the truth for me. It's nothing short of remarkable thinking we are sitting where we are in the table having been the position we were in just two days short of the first leg against Llanelli.

How did Brian McLean play on Saturday? I was at a wedding. The groom on top of the cake was wearing a 'Well strip and the bride was brandishing him a red card!

I thought he played well. Not at fault for the goal and coasted through the rest of the game. Even managed to match Humphries for pace a few times. He always looks like a decent, tidy player to me. Still feel slightly sad that it did not work out ofor him at Motherwell.

Bad loser, or just tongue-in-cheek.......

Bleating Bairn.......

Working in Falkirk they are a bunch of bad losers. 1 person who went on all last week about the game has never mentioned it this week despite my wee quips about how shite the game was no reaction and another just said " you're shite if you can only beat us 1-0"

Loving it :lol:

Mind you up the 'Well needs to go