Jim O'brien

Calcie

Played well today!

In the second half especially, i though O'Brien showed some promising signs of improvement. I think he battled really hard and showed alot of passion, something we have lacked badly in the last few weeks.

That was his first start today, thought his confidence grew as the game wore on. Considering he hasn't played many games in last year, maybe when coming on as sub he just hasn't had enough time to get a feel of the ball and the game. Until today i really thought he was rotten, but i defo think he has got something to offer us now. Got into good positions out wide alot of times, really needs to improve his crossing though. Seemed as if the ball was too heavy for him because he struggled to get much height on most of the balls he played into the box. Hopefully he spends the whole week of training crossing balls into the box.

Think he deserves to keep his place in the team against St Midden?

Played well today!

That was his first start today, thought his confidence grew as the game wore on. Considering he hasn't played many games in last year, maybe when coming on as sub he just hasn't had enough time to get a feel of the ball and the game. Until today i really thought he was rotten, but i defo think he has got something to offer us now. Got into good positions out wide alot of times, really needs to improve his crossing though. Seemed as if the ball was too heavy for him because he struggled to get much height on most of the balls he played into the box. Hopefully he spends the whole week of training crossing balls into the box.

Your having a laugh.

His crossing today, can only be described as poor.

To make an excuse for his saying "THE BALL WAS TO HEAVY FOR HIM" :wallbash: is even worse than his crossing.

He is a professional footballer and if he can't cross a ball then give up.

Their is a reason that 3 other teams haven't signed him.

I run an under 17's football team and we use the same ball as Motherwell and all the boys in the team seem to manage to cross a ball <_<

Your having a laugh.

Hence the reason i said he needs to spend the whole week practising. For a professional footballer it is pretty poor not to be able to cross a ball properly, but i really think there were a number of positives to be taken from his game today.

He had a good first half but faded badly in the second. Granted his crossing was nothing to write home about.

However I'd make three points. Firstly he wasn't match fit - how many 90 minutes has he put in so far? Usually he's come on as a sub with 15 minutes to go.

Secondly he added much needed width and pace to the team.

Thirdly, is this the first time he's been played in his correct position of wide right midfield?

Your having a laugh.

To make an excuse for his saying "THE BALL WAS TO HEAVY FOR HIM" :P is even worse than his crossing.

He is a professional footballer and if he can't cross a ball then give up.

Their is a reason that 3 other teams haven't signed him.

I run an under 17's football team and we use the same ball as Motherwell and all the boys in the team seem to manage to cross a ball :P

I'll agree with everything you said apart from the last line, i dont believe you play with real matchbaws :P

More likely the lighter replicas that are about a tenner, proper matchbaws are about 40 quid with the best ones coming in at nearly 100.

Whole team was pretty good today and yes a lot of O'Briens crosses weren't the best but credit where credit due the guy worked his socks off and showed plenty of good things, ability to beat a man and pace. Ideally suited to way we play, hope he gets a run in the team and hopefully he can work on that final ball.

I like McGarry but he showed a lot more than McGarry has for some time.

I think he is definetly worth a run in the team, he looked far better at right mid and his pace really helped up the tempo of our play. A lot to work on in terms of final ball and decision making but he's got good ability and I was glad to see he got a nice reception when he came off.

I knew this thread was coming.

Jm O'Brian enjoyed the sweet sensation of balls dipped into his gaping mouth today. Yes he gave 100%. Yes he tried to take a man on but did he beat a man and actually get into space to do anything? Rarely! Even if he did he put all his crosses miles behind any of the motherwell players in the box. God awful fae Jim the day!

My lord i might be drunk but you cannot say he was pish today... one of our better players i thought.Fair enough his delivery wasn't brillant but he done more than most today and i think the fact some still seem to criticise him is unfair and to call him awful is bordering on retardation on a football based front.I'm not saying he was brillant but he played well looked bright as he did against Hamilton though still gets pelters...aye cause McGarry and DL Smith do play better.

I'll agree with everything you said apart from the last line, i dont believe you play with real matchbaws :)

More likely the lighter replicas that are about a tenner, proper matchbaws are about 40 quid with the best ones coming in at nearly 100.

Bop,

I can assure you we play with the same footballs as Motherwell play with, if you want to come along and check then you can, you can even try and cross the ball and see how you get on :)

Just mind some of my players are 6ft and also go to boxing :wallbash:

I also thought he wasn't that good today, ran about like a headless chicken

I must confess I'm not overly endeared to O'Brien but I thought he did pretty for a first start yesterday.

Quite reminiscent of his pre-season outings where he seemed to have a fair bit of desire about him and worked hard to get involved.

Don't get me wrong as a few have pointed out there's got to be more end product from him, he has to work on his match sharpness and fitness to enable him to last the full ninety if and when required, but I'd say his inclusion was worthwhile yesterday.

His challenge now is to build on yesterday to try to retain his place and show us what he can do on a regular basis if he does retain that place.

Gave us width and pace that we have been lacking. I have watched the first half again on ALBA and counted his crosses and of the eight attempts, seven hit the first man and the eighth one was headed back to him which he lay back to Quinn who set up the second goal. However the width he created stretched their defence and gave Porter and DC more room on the box so I would say he is worthy of a start next week.