Jim O'brien

Calcie

Gave us width and pace that we have been lacking. I have watched the first half again on ALBA and counted his crosses and of the eight attempts, seven hit the first man and the eighth one was headed back to him which he lay back to Quinn who set up the second goal. However the width he created stretched their defence and gave Porter and DC more room on the box so I would say he is worthy of a start next week.

Basically, it is something to build on then? Radio yesterday was saying he was blowing out his arse before being subbed and Cowan was saying that with this being his first start that it could take maybe 10-in-a-row to really achieve full match fitness. I think sometimes 99% of us on here don't realise or appreciate that it can take that long - we expect Zico-like gretaness from the get go. Anyway, glad to see him contribute positively and, if nothing else, it provides us with depth and flexibility.

Guest JohnnyDefault
Basically, it is something to build on then? Radio yesterday was saying he was blowing out his arse before being subbed and Cowan was saying that with this being his first start that it could take maybe 10-in-a-row to really achieve full match fitness. I think sometimes 99% of us on here don't realise or appreciate that it can take that long - we expect Zico-like gretaness from the get go. Anyway, glad to see him contribute positively and, if nothing else, it provides us with depth and flexibility.

Thats a fair point HC. O'Brien did well yesterday - whereby we went back to the shape that we had last season and it worked with O'Brien in the wide role - Porter up top with Clarky and the ball more or less being played on the deck. While JOB is no McCormack - he's 4 or 5 times the player DLS is and hopefully can get a wee run in the team.

The previous poster - who took time to actually analyse his final ball percentage - smashing work. Maybe we can have a comparison moving forward - who hits the first man the most JOB or Hammell? A wee bit tongue and cheek that - but we dont seem to get the notebooks out and analyse the living daylights out of other performances

Gave us width and pace that we have been lacking. I have watched the first half again on ALBA and counted his crosses and of the eight attempts, seven hit the first man and the eighth one was headed back to him which he lay back to Quinn who set up the second goal. However the width he created stretched their defence and gave Porter and DC more room on the box so I would say he is worthy of a start next week.

From the Setanta highlights I saw two being cleared by defenders in the middle of the box so where do they fit in?

O'Brien is utter pish!!!!!!!!

A winger that cant cross the ball is useless. Plenty of positives to take from the game yesterday but he wasnt one of them. He got a '4/10' and 'awful display' from the N.O.W, (which was probably the only accurate piece of journalism in that rag today) and that summed him up.

Andy Roddie without the 'well gloves.

See I thought he (edit: O'Brien) was a massive improvement on what we have been suffering for the last month or so and was pleased with progress and him showing potential

However

my mate who was home for the festive season and as such seeing his first match for a wee while was raging at how bad he was performing particularly how many times he was getting into a position to cross and then totally fekin it up.

SO I think its all down to expectation :O

See I thought he (edit: O'Brien) was a massive improvement on what we have been suffering for the last month or so and was pleased with progress and him showing potential

However

my mate who was home for the festive season and as such seeing his first match for a wee while was raging at how bad he was performing particularly how many times he was getting into a position to cross and then totally fekin it up.

SO I think its all down to expectation :O

or lack of!!

Thought he had a decent game considering it was his first start. The thing that annoyed me most was that he tends to set off on a run and then cuts back before a pass could be made to him. It must have been frustrating for the other players not being sure whether to play a long pass and hope he kept running or wait for him to cut back.

One things for sure, he can only improve during the second half of the season.

All the best Jim.

I thought O'Brien had a decent game. He certainly showed some promise and it was good to see him get a standing ovation from a lot of fans when he was subbed.

He'll need to work on his final ball though, but I think he'll improve more and more with further starts. Up until Saturday I thought he wasn't contributing anything going by his sub appearances, but I suppose it isn't easy coming into games as a sub.

Oh and I reckon he's a far, far better option than Darren Smith. I want to see Darren do well, but so far he's not really cut the mustard. He can run fast and seems eager enough, but that's about it. He doesn't seem to have the skill or the guile to beat a man. He's only young though, so I hope he'll change my current opinion!!!