General Motherwell Questions Thread

David

I was going to start a thread to ask a question, but thought that maybe a thread like this would be a good idea, providing somewhere for people to ask general questions about the club that maybe forum members can answer.

Will perhaps save there being a new thread for every question/comment.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew of a Motherwell results texting service?

I thought I saw something like this being advertised a season or so ago, but can't seem to find anything now.

I'm just looking for something that sends out goal alerts, half-time, full-time results and the like.

What is going on with the Phil O'Donnell stand opening game and more importantly what is happening with the money that was raised for the permanent memorial?

Lee

I got my stuff out from the Trust out yesterday and even though I didn't really read it, it was suggested that the ball was already rolling on the memorial. It didn't specify what it was going to be, but I'm sure I read someone say (maybe 'Flow) that folk had been commissioned to do something.

As for the game, I haven't a clue. I think/hope that it won't happen now. Even unveiling a memorial this long after Uncle Phils death doesn't quite sit right with me.

I got my stuff out from the Trust out yesterday and even though I didn't really read it, it was suggested that the ball was already rolling on the memorial. It didn't specify what it was going to be, but I'm sure I read someone say (maybe 'Flow) that folk had been commissioned to do something.

As for the game, I haven't a clue. I think/hope that it won't happen now. Even unveiling a memorial this long after Uncle Phils death doesn't quite sit right with me.

I'm sure the Nancy game was also the game used to officially open the stand.....

Aye, I know that, but I always think closure is a good thing when this sort of thing happens. For me, it would have been ideal to have unveiled it at the Inverness game on the anniversary of his death, to allow for a last bit of public poignancy and then to have something that people can look at when they are at matches so they can privately spare a thought for Phil when the moment catches them. Dredging it all up again when it does get unveiled seems a bit unnatural to me, although I acknowledge that everyone reacts differently to this type of situation.

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, so first a small introduction. I'm Will, 33 years old, married and we are blessed with 2 beautiful children. We live in Belgium in the city of Antwerp and support the local team Germinal Beerschot (playing in the Belgian premier division).

In my younger years I was a subbuteo fanatic and collected all subbuteo teams I could find. Since the subbuteo factory was closed, I started making my own subbuteo teams. Last summer I made a Motherwell home team.

cruz117.jpg

cruz118.jpg

In november me and my Mrs. are visiting Edinburgh for a city trip and for me it's an occasion to finally attend a home game of my favourite team in Scotland. I looked up the fixture list and saw that Motherwell are playing Aberdeen on 21/11 and now had a couple of questions:

- will we be able to buy tickets for this match on the day of the match?

- how much in advance of the match should we come to the stadium (considering that we will have to take the train from Edinburgh)?

- what is the best stand to be in?

- any other things we should consider for our visit?

Many thanks in advance for any tips and words of advice. If there would be any subbuteo fanatics among you and would be interested in a Motherwell team, just send me a pm and I'll see what I can do to bring one when we visit Motherwell.

All the best!

Will

Beerschot, since 1899 the pride of Antwerp.

Beerschot, firstly welcome to the boards! Your PM system won't work properly until you've made at least 5 posts so I'll try to put all the information you need here.

For the Aberdeen game on the 21/11 you will be able to pay at the turnstyles to get into the stadium. For a one off match I'd recommend sitting in either the Main Stand (Phil O'Donnell) or the Cooper Stand (behind goal). £22 per adult.

The match is a 3pm kick off. I'd recommend heading through to Motherwell for about 12 noon so that you can have a beer with some of the locals, get to see Motherwell a bit and take a wander round the stadium and into the club shop. The National Express train to Glasgow Central stops at Motherwell and takes about 50 minutes.

The Cooper Stand has a bar inside that many Motherwell fans go into before the game, it might be nice to go in there for a drink to meet some of the fans. Wear your Germinal Beerschot top!! :whistling:

If you need anything else just ask

Beerschot, firstly welcome to the boards! Your PM system won't work properly until you've made at least 5 posts so I'll try to put all the information you need here.

For the Aberdeen game on the 21/11 you will be able to pay at the turnstyles to get into the stadium. For a one off match I'd recommend sitting in either the Main Stand (Phil O'Donnell) or the Cooper Stand (behind goal). £22 per adult.

The match is a 3pm kick off. I'd recommend heading through to Motherwell for about 12 noon so that you can have a beer with some of the locals, get to see Motherwell a bit and take a wander round the stadium and into the club shop. The National Express train to Glasgow Central stops at Motherwell and takes about 50 minutes.

The Cooper Stand has a bar inside that many Motherwell fans go into before the game, it might be nice to go in there for a drink to meet some of the fans. Wear your Germinal Beerschot top!! :D

If you need anything else just ask

Superb! Thanks a lot for the info. I really look forward to the visit and hopefully meet some of you! You will recognise me in this shirt :)gb2t.jpg

Hi Beerschot, and welcome aboard. t answer your questions:

will we be able to buy tickets for this match on the day of the match?

Yes, it will almost certainly be pay at the gate.

how much in advance of the match should we come to the stadium (considering that we will have to take the train from Edinburgh)?

The main Motherwell train station is about 20 minutes walk from Fir Park and is a relatively straight road, Airbles station is closer to the ground but is not on the Edinburgh line so you will need to change trains and what you save in walking time will probably be lost in waiting for the connection (worth doing though if the weather is bad) The other down side is having to walk through the town centre and seeing how run down it is now, especially since the Steelworks closed.

what is the best stand to be in?

The best view will be from the Main (Phil O'Donnell) stand although as it is the oldest, if you are quite tall your knees may be jammed on the seat in front. I sit in the Cooper stand which is behind one of the goals, the atmosphere is a bit subdued, but the seating is (in my opinion) the best of all three home stands. The East stand is converted terracing, so whilst it is the best one for atmosphere, the view can be poor if the action is taking place down in one of the corners on that side of the ground, and if the kids are coming with you they may learn some quaint Scottish expressions :)

For a family I would definitely say to go for the Main or Cooper stands.

any other things we should consider for our visit?

Wrap up warm, it can get a bit chilly here in November, the nearest pub to the ground is Jack Daniels, which is on your route to the ground (more or less) the Cooper suite (a bar in the Cooper stand) is open pre and post match, it is supposedly for Season ticket holders only but they don't seem to bother too much about that.

I hope you enjoy the experience (and witness a triumph for the mighty 'Well.)

Beerschot,

Welcome, my Molenbeek friend Brussels Dosser will no doubt pass on his best wishes when he next visits the site.

A fellow Subbuteo enthusiast as well, I can see us having much to discuss during your visit. Just so happens I have visitors from York that day as well in the Cooper Suite so you're more than welcome to join the gathering. When your PM's are up and running I'll contact you through there.

I have a simple question :

Why are parents of the youth players no longer given complementaries along with their kids?

Youngy mentioned this last night at the Pro-Youth welfare night. He said that they are asking the club about parents getting a concession, but that for now parents will have to pay full price. He didn't say why this had changed.

It doesn't matter to me, as I have a season ticket and the wee man would probably like to sit with his friends from his team while we go off to our normal seats, but I would have thought it would be good to keep the parents included in the free tickets - many of the Pro-Youth boys are from families who don't support Motherwell, and it would be good to encourage them to come to our games.

It doesn't matter to me, as I have a season ticket and the wee man would probably like to sit with his friends from his team while we go off to our normal seats, but I would have thought it would be good to keep the parents included in the free tickets - many of the Pro-Youth boys are from families who don't support Motherwell, and it would be good to encourage them to come to our games.

My thoughts exactly, I know one of the parents is an Ibrox ST holder but comes to every Motherwell game with his boy when he can, but I doubt he'll come without the ticket, and his son is too young to travel by himself.