A Step Forward, Now Lets Take Some More

Special aka

That's the last 3 games I've seen in their entirety :) Now, I am absolutely delighted with yesterday's result, and from where I was sitting there are an abundance of positives to take from what was a much needed victory......... Craigan seemed to stabilise the defence a bit, Klimpl added some much needed bite to midfield, O'Brien ran himself into the ground and Hughes enjoyed the extra space, Chris Porter-Porter-Porter, Hammell found his own man more often, Clarkson's appetite was infectious and the ball stayed on the deck more often. :wallbash::)

However, in our last 3 fixtures we've conceded 6 goals to 3 of the worst teams I've seen in years and that concerns me greatly.

Here's hoping some confidence can be taken from yesterday and the team can put the recent barren patch behind them.

Well done guys, now come on ...... there's more victories to be had.

We are still gift wrapping goals to some very average teams. I'm not saying we're brilliant by any means but we have to cut out the silly mistakes. Teams have been taking all three points at Fir Park lately when their performance barley merited one. Even yesterday, despite hardly being in the game Inverness could have sneaked a point.

And what is it with us and big Tokely? He always seems to get gifted a goal at Fir Park.

I think McGhee has addressed this situation quite a few times and it was evident all last season too. Under McGhee we continued and will continue to gift goals to the opposition however the masterplan is to always score one more than them. I'm paraphrasing but that's the jist of what he said and it might seem ridiculous however the 'lose hunners of goals but always score one more' did take us to 3rd last year.

I'm happy with that tactic as long as we have strikers who are on form and midfielders who can supply which up till yesterday was a problem. Who knows whether or not we can continue where we left things on Saturday but here's hoping!

It was amazing how the first goal lifted us. You could see the passing and pace improve as soon as we were ahead. We've been needing that lift for weeks. If that kamikaze goal Tokely had scored had happened at 0-0 each instead of 2-0 we would have lost as the heads would have dropped. End of the day we now have the belief back and the knowledge we can win games is at the forefront of mind. Hughes was a lot better yesterday and I think having defensive players such as Fizzy and Klimpl with him gave him much more room to play, Klimpl being able to flex back allowed Quinn forward more as well and Hammell's deliveries were much improved. We have good attacking players and hopefully we can bounce on and continue to play like that. Because we should have scored more yesterday against that team - there is no reason we can;t get 3 against Hearts, St Mirren and co as well playing like that.

We are still gift wrapping goals to some very average teams. I'm not saying we're brilliant by any means but we have to cut out the silly mistakes. Teams have been taking all three points at Fir Park lately when their performance barley merited one. Even yesterday, despite hardly being in the game Inverness could have sneaked a point.

Under McGhee we continued and will continue to gift goals to the opposition however the masterplan is to always score one more than them. I'm paraphrasing but that's the jist of what he said and it might seem ridiculous however the 'lose hunners of goals but always score one more' did take us to 3rd last year.

I'm happy with that tactic as long as we have strikers who are on form and midfielders who can supply which up till yesterday was a problem. Who knows whether or not we can continue where we left things on Saturday but here's hoping!

I think these two posts quite neatly sum our tactics up and also highlight the risks that come with adopting that philosophy.

It is really is imperative that we find the net as regularly as possible. Stating the obvious that one ofcourse but take out the attacking edge to our play and we really are stuffed. Recent results have illustrated all too readily that opposition teams need only bide their time and we'll do their work for them with calamitous defending.

It really can't be over-stated just how important it is for us to score and get a foothold in a game as early as possible.

I think McGhee has addressed this situation quite a few times and it was evident all last season too. Under McGhee we continued and will continue to gift goals to the opposition however the masterplan is to always score one more than them. I'm paraphrasing but that's the jist of what he said and it might seem ridiculous however the 'lose hunners of goals but always score one more' did take us to 3rd last year.

It's the old Alex Ferguson approach. "We'll always score one more". Makes for some heart in the mouth moments but can generate some exciting football. Disappointed to lose 2 goals yesterday but the plus is that they weren't from any huge problems. A breakdown in communication from the goalie which he won't do again soon and a dodgy pen. Certainly not going to be calling for any heads for those.