Fans Tsar

Special aka

How would that be organised though, in such a way that the club would recognise the points of view of said Motherwell fans? Surely the people who would approach the club would also need to be voted in in some way. I think if it goes down this route we would end up with too many groups asking the same questions and getting precisely nowhere.

Fair point, but I would question whether the Trust is independent enough of the club. This is the phrase that worries me;

As well as owning a significant shareholding in the club, rewarded by owner John Boyle in recognition of financial contributions made, the Trust continues to successfully organise and run events as well as representing fans at boardroom level through Chairman Martin Rose.

That's taken from the Motherwell website.

I think that "significant shareholding" compromises the Trust. As for the boardroom representation by Martin Rose, laughable in the extreme. Martin Rose has been in or around Fir Park for as long as I can remember, he was part of the Development Committee back in the early 1990's I seem to recall. What has he actually acheived for the fans in his time there?

Frankly, If the fans are going to be represented he/she needs to be independent of the board and the Trust. I'd rather we were outside the tent pissing in rather than inside the tent pissing out.

As to how we go about it, let's see what the consensus is first then we'll look at the logistics.

The fact that the Trust owns shares in no way compromises its position. If anything it strengthens it. Shareholders do not have to agree with any company and quite often disagree. If you've ever been to AGMs at FP you'd know what I mean.

Martin Rose was a personal appointment of John Boyle to the Board and does not represent the Trust on it and in fairness he has never claimed this. Your quote about the Trust was taken from the Official MFC website and not that of the Trust. The club cannot speak on behalf of the Trust and likewise the Trust cannot speak on behalf the club.

The fact that the Trust owns shares in no way compromises its position. If anything it strengthens it. Shareholders do not have to agree with any company and quite often disagree. If you've ever been to AGMs at FP you'd know what I mean.

I agree Kmcalpin. The very first AGM I attended actually had such a split of opinion of the board on the evening (over an appointment of someone to the board) that each shareholders shareholding came into play in a vote - and because the vote went a certain way - two of the board resigned (Ian Livingstone & Malcolm McNeill if I remember correctly).

I accept that's rare at AGM's where the business is usually to rubber stamp the already agreed business but it does illustrate one area where where the level of shareholding has an influence.

In the longer term, if the Trust are increasing their shareholding then again I believe that to be a positive thing, in fact its the key to ultimately what I think the Trust should be looking to achieve.

I think its all part of climbing the ladder. Boyle and his command won't ofcourse be there forever and the stronger the Trust find themselves at a period of handover then the more influence they could have on a new group/individual in control of the club. As a result with more influence the Trust would able to demonstrate their worth to the Motherwell support, grow as a Trust, have more weight and so it goes on.

Can I make a suggestion? How's about making the membership benefits of joining the Trust something that actually entices people to sign up rather than just talking about how it benefits 'us' the group as a whole?

I'm only asking, because I'll freely admit that i know little or nothing about the Trust and what it does/stands for.

For example:

Members are aware that the organisation reflects all sections of the fan base to the club. It exerts influence and aspires to an element of ownership and representation. Other benefits derive from the social activities in which the Trust participates. £1 of the first year's subscription buys a share in the Trust.

How's that a membership benefit? Can you look at explaining to people why you don't spend £3, 4, or £5 of the first year's subscriptions on shares? Or at least clarify your standpoint?

Can I make a suggestion? How's about making the membership benefits of joining the Trust something that actually entices people to sign up rather than just talking about how it benefits 'us' the group as a whole?

I'm only asking, because I'll freely admit that i know little or nothing about the Trust and what it does/stands for.

For example:

Members are aware that the organisation reflects all sections of the fan base to the club. It exerts influence and aspires to an element of ownership and representation. Other benefits derive from the social activities in which the Trust participates. £1 of the first year's subscription buys a share in the Trust.

How's that a membership benefit? Can you look at explaining to people why you don't spend £3, 4, or £5 of the first year's subscriptions on shares? Or at least clarify your standpoint?

I've got a fair few questions I'd like to ask the Trust, for instance, How many members does the Trust have, and how can it claim to reflect all sections of the fanbase?

Martin Rose was a personal appointment of John Boyle to the Board and does not represent the Trust on it and in fairness he has never claimed this. Your quote about the Trust was taken from the Official MFC website and not that of the Trust. The club cannot speak on behalf of the Trust and likewise the Trust cannot speak on behalf the club.

Martin Rose is the Chairman of the Well Trust, you can contact him on martin@welltrust.net

So why are we relying on someone who is a personal appointment of John Boyle to put the fans points to the board. I find the whole relationship between the Trust, the board, and Mr Rose all a wee bit too incestuous for my liking.

It's not about what gets said at AGM's it's the normal weekly/monthly board meetings where the real work is done. That's where the fans need representation and that representation must be independent, without that independence you'd be as well letting John Boyle appoint the Fans Tsar.

Martin Rose is the Chairman of the Well Trust, you can contact him on martin@welltrust.net

So why are we relying on someone who is a personal appointment of John Boyle to put the fans points to the board. I find the whole relationship between the Trust, the board, and Mr Rose all a wee bit too incestuous for my liking.

Almost exactly why I left the Trust.

I want someone on the Board who JB has not appointed, and until the Trust can provide such a thing they aint living up to their promise IMHO.

I appear to have missed the initial request. Just one of the reasons that I prefer to communicate through PMs and e-mail. Incidently, thanks to those who got in contact about points they would like raised at tomorrows meeting regarding stewarding and policing. This is one of the many ways we are representing the Motherwell support. Members of the fanbase who have got in touch have had their comments noted.

With regards to the number of members, we're talking in the region of 150. What I will say yet again is that there are a number of changes afoot within the Trust which I anticipate will grow the membership base and increase the advantages of being a member of the organisation.