'well Players You Have Met

trafficlight

Never meet your heroes they say. Those of you who have spent some time in the company of 'Well players, what were they like; top bloke or total arse ?

FWIW, I met Cantona and Roy Keane in Manchester city centre - absolute gentlemen both, and nothing like the bad boy image they had. Norman Whiteside, absolutely spot on guy. Never had a bad experience myself, how about you ?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Met most of the Malpas/butcher era team i think, possibly ever earlier way back in the day.

I remember myself and Big Jamie off had some good banter with some players, McBride, Coach and Big Steve MacDonald were quite funny, the big man espically.

Met a few players past and present and have never been dissapointed. Gotta say Alex McLeish is the nicest guy i've had the pleasure to speak to as far as professional footballers go. Once asked him for a trial in goals and was politely told he already had two arseholes for that position already. :lol: Wasn't to happy about the way he left us but on a one to one he always had time to talk and listen and give answers to any questions asked.

As for opposition players, Andy Lynch has gotta be up there as well. Met him in the Clutha Vaults in Glasgow a few years back and when i told him he made a wee Well fan the happiest wee boy in the world at Fir Park one night his reaction was brilliant. Told me he still had nightmares about it and i had a right good time in his company. :cheers:

For the benefit of you younger fans Andy Lynch played at the back for Smeltic on that night and scored 2 og's and gave away a penalty and the Well won 3-1. Couldny sleep later 'cause a wiz to wound up waitin' tae get intae school the next mornin' and work it up the unwashed hordes i knew. :woop::doh:

Not met many Motherwell players from the recent teams, but met quite a lot of them around the late 90s, was just young so don't remember much apart from that Scott Howie was a legend.

Met the Man Utd and Celtic squads from 2001. Ryan Giggs is a wank, Teddy Sheringham is probably the nicest guy in football, gave my 4 year old wee brother his autograph 4 times!

Luc Nijholt lived just down the road from me and I met and had a kickabout with him several times. Was a good guy.

Was at the sponsors night at the Shawlands and spoke to some of the team that night, most memorably Buzz who was as pissed as a fart and gleefully talking of the goal that never was Aberdeen scored against us the day before - he thought it was in at the time. Or so he said when he was blootered.

Had a chat with Clarky, Darren Smith and Jim Paterson at one of the open days a couple of years back. They were very down-to-earth guys, and easy to talk to. Also bumped into Accies' Willie Jamieson and Gerry Colllins years ago in Glasgow, with Collins acting the big guy and going to fight some guy :doh:

A good few of the current squad and a few fro previous years. Met Stephen Craigan a wee while back. Total gentleman. Saw Jim Gannon in Asda Hamilton a few weeks ago and said hello. Had a brief chat about Yassin. JG certainly comes across as an approachable friendly guy as well. Never met Mark McGhee, and he could have been the nicest chap in the world, but I'm not sure he is one I would have walked up to have a wee chat with. Was in Arta last year when the team were in for their (I think) Xmas night out. Buzz and McGarry were a wee bit tipsy (ahem) but were extremely well behaved as far as footballers in nightclubs go. John Sutton seemed remarkably sober. Anytime I have spoken to McGarry he always comes across well.

Briefly worked with Rab Shannon. Decent guy as well.

Met most of the Malpas/butcher era team i think, possibly ever earlier way back in the day.

I remember myself and Big Jamie off had some good banter with some players, McBride, Coach and Big Steve MacDonald were quite funny, the big man espically.

Yeah, have to say Stretch was probably the best of them all. Seemed delighted that folk actually knew who he was and stood and talked away to us for ages. McBride, Hammell and Kerr were also top blokes.

Also, Jim O'brien called me a liar (apparently I'm not 19 :doh:) and Brian McLean is a huffy bastard!

Met loads of players over the years but none too recently.

Lived in Hamilton in the late 1970's and early 1980's drank fairly regularly with Jim Bett and Davie Cooper in the Bickering Bush and The Barley Bree.

The night we won the Cup I was in Angels in Uddingston when in walked Jim Griffin and Chris McCart that put the icing on the cake for me that day..

I met Tom Boyd in Capo's one night as well and he was a real gent.

Used to get the 240 to Fir Park with Jim McCabe, I was going to watch and he was going to play, changed world.

Met coach and richie foran while working on the door at charlies, quinn was injured at the time and was happy to chat richie was signing autographs and being drooled over by an old slapper surprised he knocked her back from the stories i've heard.

Met owen coyle while he played for us at the masters in aug/jul 2008 he had just finished commentating and was brand new top bloke.

Met stevie kirk and played up front with him on the same day at the first log in to learn match he was top drawer and still handy on the fitba pitch.

Had my photo taken with bob malcolm at the open day and he was a lot shorter and very quiet totally unexpected a real surprise.

knew steven hughes from his dalziel days when he used to hang about with tommy wright.

I used to play at school level with ryan grant who was part of the first team squad a few seasons back but sadly never made it, he was a gifted player but really short iys a shame as he was and is a top bloke.

thats it to name a few :doh:

Met the late great Davie Cooper several times and always found him a really nice guy. Ritchie Foran too in The Railway Tavern was good tae blether with. Outside of that i met Mark Viduka with his wife in Asda Hamilton when he had signed for Smeltic and couldn't play for 'personal' reasons.. I said well done big man{he's some size} keep ripping the arse oot them. :doh: . He just smiled. I also met Liam Brady and his assistant Frank Conner in the VIP suite at Hamilton races {i got in with ma bus pass} :cheers: . I said to him that if Celtic stay clear of injuries did he think they could finish above us in the league. [They were 5th the prev season} Conner told me to f--k off......Charming! :woop: .

Knew Ian McLeod's dad, so spoke with Marshall a few times - top man, if a bit quiet. He was good mates with Bruce Cleland, and Brucie was one of the nicest and funniest guys you could meet.

When I was a kid, I ran into Bobby Graham in a Hamilton supermarket (Fine Fare, I think :P) It was just after he had joined Accies, and I remember being suitably impressed by his John Motson style sheepskin coat and his cigar. Classic 70's footballer look!

Knew big Shivute when he was at Fir Park, fixed his internet for him and did a great inverview with him which was published in the Namibian national press!!!! Really nice bloke too. Met the late, great Uncle Phil who came over to a school fete in North Motherwell three years ago. Couldn't be nicer, very approachable and willing to chat for ages about anything. A really great loss.