'well Players You Have Met

trafficlight

Been lucky enough to have met quite a lot of players and former players over the years. Obviously arranging the Phil O'Donnell night at the Civic I was in the company of the creme de la creme of legends over the past half century and they were all spot-on and happy to come along and support the cause, of course. I must give a special mention to big Craig Paterson though - I had given all the former players and guests my mobile number and I would come and let them in the side door as they arrived. 15 minutes before the doors were opening, the queue was spiralling round the car park and down Airbles Road, and I had a glance out (shat my breeks when I saw the crowd) and saw Paterson in the middle of the crowd. When I went out and ushered him in, he seemed embarrassed to be getting special treatment, was an all round decent guy and I always think he talks a lot of sense on Scotsport. Along similar lines, when I asked Joe Wark for his address to get him picked up for the evening, he replied "Och naw, ah've got mah bus pass noo - I'll jump on the number 92". I wouldn't have been able to live with myself if Joe Wark had to get the bus to something I was running, especially considerring the effort he put in himself in rounding up the troops for it, but he took a fair bit of persuasion. Again, another top bloke and real legend.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Met Fraser Wishart in the Algarve back in 1996, we talked about his time at Fir Park and his leaving; and he was good enough to let the cat oot the bag that big Eck was looking to sign him, which of course he did. A very open and approachable guy, so goes down as a top bloke in my books!

Not 'Well players but, watched the England - Scotland game with Jackie McNamara and Keith Wright; you couldn't meet a nicer guy in McNamara, but Keith Wright was a right dick! :lol:

It's got me thinking this. Just about to enter the stadium in Utrecht all them years ago and we bumped into Luc Nijholt and his missus. Took loads of time out to chat to us, and reiterated just how much he wanted to come back to Fir Park in some capacity. Really decent bloke. Hopefully some day!

It's got me thinking this. Just about to enter the stadium in Utrecht all them years ago and we bumped into Luc Nijholt and his missus. Took loads of time out to chat to us, and reiterated just how much he wanted to come back to Fir Park in some capacity. Really decent bloke. Hopefully some day!
how much rain can fall in the one day :lol:

Over the years there's been many many times, but another which sticks out would be the day Matt Johnstone released his 'Joe Wark knew my Father tae..' book, the book launch in Jack Daniels featured a few legends and obviously Joe Wark, Joe stayed the whole afternoon and held court at one of the tables in JD's, Kirkie was there too, wee Dougie spent some time as did Wullie P himself.

A grand day oot, just goes to show that missing these offshoot events means missing out on meeting these legends for more than an autograph.

I met Luc the week he signed, I was working at Fir Park and he came out into the bit of the main stand between the laundry room and the dressing room, he spent a good 20 minutes blethering, I didn't want to spark up a snout while talking to him, he was probably thinking the same thing! :rolleyes:

Bob Malcolm called the rangers kit van driver a "w**ker" after he tried to drive through my sister outside Fir Park. She also met Graeme Smith in the Cameron toll shopping centers Sainsbury's, apparently buying cheese.

Me and my Sister both saw darren smith after a Hearts game in the Bp garage on Slateford road.

Yeah I never see them on my tod she is ALWAYS there.

Snap. I was there with Neil and although me might not remember because of how young we were, he gave us a Utrecht pin badge each and some free tickets.

I met Davie Cooper when he openend the Aladdins shoppin centre in Wishy! Got a signed photo of him that day too. I'm sure there were other Well players there but I canny mind who.

In more recent times Jan Michells used to live next door to me. He popped in to mine once when they had a power cut and he seemed like a sound guy.

Met Foran and Quinn a few times out drinking in Wishy and Motherwell. Ritchie always seemed sound but Quinn - all I can say is from what I witnessed I can see where he got his reputation from. I wasn't surprised one bit when I heard he got his jaw broken. Hopefully he's grown up a bit now.

Over the years there's been many many times, but another which sticks out would be the day Matt Johnstone released his 'Joe Wark knew my Father tae..' book, the book launch in Jack Daniels featured a few legends and obviously Joe Wark, Joe stayed the whole afternoon and held court at one of the tables in JD's, Kirkie was there too, wee Dougie spent some time as did Wullie P himself.

Similarly, many many times over the years. On the whole, a pleasant experience. For me, Mr Wark blotted his copybook though in a Friday evening kickabout on the training pitch at Fir Park a few years ago. An arrogance I certainly never expected against some of the clubs' support has left a bad taste since. Compare that to Wullie P who played also that night - the epitome of class, always was, always will be.

Apart from the usual sycophants, I'm sure I won't be the only one surprised that weegie tink McCormack managed to manouvre his head through the doors at the Shawlands Hotel last year.

met terry butcher years before he was well boss i won a competition to open the calor gas shop in belshill when i was 10 or 11 and him and mick mccarthy where special guests

met foran in the bullfrog nice big guy chatted away for a while and always said hello whenever he saw me afterwards

ive known stephen hughes since he was born baiscally been watching him since his netherdale days and also was a year above brian kerr in high school

met most of the cup winning team in the dressing room when i was mascot in 1990

Met a lot of the players over recent years at various open days etc. Obviously not now, but I used to meet Paul Quinn semi-regularly, as he is from Coltness like me. Always used to meet Leitch aswell, he was always a top bloke. But to be honest, despite his convictions and off-field activity, David Partridge has to be the most down-to-earth footballer I've ever met. He was injured at a friendly at Stenny, and I got a photo with him and he chatted with me for ages, like he did on another occasion at an open day. Uncle Phil was a gent the twice I remember meeting him. Also met Jim Paterson at the cinema seeing Blades of Glory.

When I first got married in 82 I moved to Motherwell(Ladywell Road) and lived opposite Davie Copper. Sound guy and always up for a chat when you met him. Never thought he would end up playing for the Well.

Also, met Johnny Gahagan at a Sportsman dinner up here in Aberdeen. I had a chat with him and askled him to sign my menu. Told him that IMHO he was one of the best players to play for the Well. The other speaker had gone to the loo so he asked if I could come back and tell him again what I had just said in front of the other guy (not bigheaded but just for a laugh). The other speaker was Nobbie Styles.

Friends of the family were Willie McSevenny (great wig) top bloke though and Bobby Watson who is a bit dour and preacher like.

Also, a relative through marriage was Tony Shepherd- taught him every thing he knew as he watched me palying for Shotts Vics every Saturday!!! So its my fault he was shite then.

Best player I ever met was John Barnes (at a Luther Vandross gig in London - dont ask it was the wife's idea). Very chatty and we had great banter about Scotland/England.

Billy Campbell and Peter Miller used to take the training when I played for Fir Park. Joe Wark was always there too and they were top blokes. I Kept in touch with Billy over the years when I lived in Motherwell and he's a top man. Jazzer and I played in the same team and I met him a few times in Aberdeen.

I can't remember much about it as I was young at the time but Bobby McCallum and his girlfriend used to babysit me and my wee sister.

My wee sister, when a toddler, had fallen arches in her feet and "Uncle" Ben Ellis used to come to the house and give her exercises to cure them.

I even got Archie Kelly's jersey from 1952

My Mother,"Big Isa" helped out at the 'Ark in the Forties and Fifties and as I went to every game home and away I must have met quite a few of the players but don't remember much about them. My Mother & Father seemed to have open house for 'Well supporters and players around this time as I remember being packed upstairs wae other kids while the grownups partied downstairs and, in the morning, the women would be cooking full breakfasts with fried dumpling.Just the thing for the players.

I met Paul McStay in the Eighties, in Edenhall Spinal Unit, he had come to see a young Celtic supporter, but, he had gone out for the day, so he had to make do with some friendly advice and abuse from a small contingent of 'Well supporters. He took it all in good part and seemed to enjoy himself.

;):cheers:

Johnny Gahagan is a top bloke. Gave money to get a round in for the stewards who worked at the "Greatest Ever" do.

A shock to me was when I met Big Roy Aitken and he turned out to be a complete gent. Totally unlike his on pitch persona. Prepared to chat for ages.

Jim Paterson also a great bloke willing to chat when you bumped into him

I met Jim Griffin when i was younger. he was doing stuff at motherwell college, i was chuffed he'd be taking us when we went there on a weekly basis from school.

but he was a cock

trying to show aff infront of all the burds and thinking he was funny with his wee digs

wasnae so smart when he said somethin unfunny at me and i said "aye right you are, Chunk"

he was fuckin ragin!

I met Jim Griffin when i was younger. he was doing stuff at motherwell college, i was chuffed he'd be taking us when we went there on a weekly basis from school.

but he was a cock

trying to show aff infront of all the burds and thinking he was funny with his wee digs

wasnae so smart when he said somethin unfunny at me and i said "aye right you are, Chunk"

he was fuckin ragin!

When i was a student, i worked part time at Wishaw Sports Centre for years. Jim Griffin used to come in with all the wee bangers of the day from the college :lol: . Jim was a bang on guy, used to have a laugh with him and felt sorry for him having to put up with some of those fannies!

Just remembered there when Jim Paterson and Graeme Smith came into Dalziel a few years back and came into our class. It was in sixth year and on a Wednesday morning we used to fire up to Asda to get fry up ingredients and then batter into the cookery rooms. I went out to grab some brown sauce from the store room to come back to those two scranning my breakfast. It was a weird experience because i didnt even know they were going to be there.

Just remembered there when Jim Paterson and Graeme Smith came into Dalziel a few years back and came into our class. It was in sixth year and on a Wednesday morning we used to fire up to Asda to get fry up ingredients and then batter into the cookery rooms. I went out to grab some brown sauce from the store room to come back to those two scranning my breakfast. It was a weird experience because i didnt even know they were going to be there.

If it was in any of his first three seasons at Fir Park, I was expecting Paterson to be eating my breakfast every morning! Nah, as I said he was a top bloke when I met him, I'd have him at left back in an instant.