'well Players You Have Met

trafficlight

When I was student, during the summer I worked in the M74 services down by the Mausoleum in Strathclyde Park. Must have been 1984. A few of the 'Well players used to come in on their way back from training.

I remember serving Johnny Gahagan and Alex Kennedy and not having the 1p in the till I needed to give Gahagan his proper change. He said not to worry about it and I was going to say "You might need it after the way you played last week", but I wimped out and just said "Cheers".

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i met gannon before the ryhll game the day after he got the job. he was happy to chat for a while and he was quite happy to outline his plans to us and listen to what we thought about the squad.

met loads of players but big partro is the one who sticks out as being the soundest. i also got into a massive argument with malpas after st johnstone knocked us out the cup and hegarty and his son looked like they were going to try and set about me.

Have met most of the players and Managers since 2004 until now, and Stevie Kirk and Dougie Arnott. They have mostly been great to talk to. Don't agree with the negative comment about Coach as I thought he had a good sense of humour but was quite quiet. of the Managers Terry Butcher is a brilliant person, really down to earth, and I also found Scott Leitch and Mark McGhee were great. Mark is quiet but fine to talk to.

Can't really say there were any players I didn't like.

I also remember Davie Cooper signing autographs at an Open Day away from Fir Park and I stood and spoke to him not realising who it was at the time (I think he was still with Rangers).

I would say that the players at Motherwell do appreciate the supporters and are good at signing autographs etc for them or talking to them.

Way back the unfortunate Stephen Craigan got landed with a group of us representing the Muirhouse Branch in the Association Quiz. We won actually, now that you ask :P , but the bigger prize that night was getting the nod from Craigan for him to be interviewed for the MFC Exiles Club which I ran then.

He was just on the fringes of the team then and was staying in a flat in Muirhouse but invited me to his house to do the said interview, gave me beer and spent the best part of a couple of hours of his time happily answering any questions and having a good blether. Before he moved to Thistle he also did several columns for our newsletter. Who would have thought a decade plus later he'd be back as club skipper, several hundred games under his belt, most capped player for the club and in his testimonial season. What a man!

Another story which has always made me smile was again from my youth. I was at school at the time actually when my old man and old dear were sent on a mission to Fir Park to get something or other from the old club shop (or hole in the wall as it was). The old man headed for the door inside and was met by none other than Davie Cooper on his way out.

A quick request from my Dad and a few seconds later, the old dear who had had been miles away having a fag and reading her book in the car, had her attention quickly grabbed by none other than Coop rattling the car window and shouting "Awright Margaret, how are you".

This is a bit of a gimme but Joe Wark had a newsagents in Coltness a few years ago so that was obviously where I used to go for my fags and paper in the morning. Was a bit in awe to start off with but he's an absolute gent and happy to chat away. Always went out of his way to wave and say hello on his way past when he seen you in the street.

I've met most of the current squad and all seem reasonable guys, lived next to skippy and big freddy vindaloo from killie. Met the Ajax squad and almost ran them down (didn't realise that cars have right of way in Scotland) and also shared a sauna with Bayer Leverkusen, Sevilla and the ugly sisters when they play at Hampden. Big Mark Hately also seems a nice guy when he visits Fir Park.

Spent an entire day 1-1 with Davie Cooper while working at his house, he didnae want to train and I din't want to go to my next job, so I spent the day with Coop having tea and toast. It was the day after we beat Celtic in '91 cup semi.

A total gent of a guy and sound as fuck, he bumped my boss for the job too, that elevates him to legendary status anyway, but any time I saw him afterwards while working at Fir Park or out and about he always said hello or bought a round. He was top class.

Apart from that there are hunners of others, been extremely fortunate to have met my heroes and none of them have been pricks (except Kirkie, who was a prick in and around Fir Park but has made up for it in recent years and even admitted as much in conversation)

Coach, Clarky and Craggs in the club shop pre-season 08/09. Coach was buying some horrific boots and I couldn't resist saying that surely he could afford better ones, he then sheepishly said they were just for kicking about in training. When Craggs came into the shop, Coach and Clarky started pretending to boo him, and he just burst out laughing. Not sure what it was all about, but it was funny being caught in the middle of it.

Dazza at the Shawlands, commented that I couldnae believe the ref booked him for his celebration for his goal against the sheep that cemented 3rd and Europe for us, he just shrugged it off and said that these things happen.

Mark Reynolds at the Shawlands as well, working him up into mock outrage that the players had to stand in the queue for the buffet.

Oh and Mark Archdeacon too, who I think I've since jinxed because I got his autograph and told him that I hope he got a runout in the final game against Hibs at Easter Road seeing as 3rd was guaranteed. Murph got the nod and Bob McHugh came on as a sub, Archie needed to wait over a year before finally kicking a ball for the first team. Sorry!!

I think everyone would agree Paul Quinn is a total wank :D

Nope :unsure:

Never met a c***y Motherwell player in my time and Stephen Craigan and Martyn Corrigan are two of the nicest guys you could wish to meet.

Remember getting the bus to the game with David Partridge's brother once... he was a good laugh.

Knew Ian McLeod's dad, so spoke with Marshall a few times - top man, if a bit quiet. He was good mates with Bruce Cleland, and Brucie was one of the nicest and funniest guys you could meet.

Used to go watch the team train when I was back shift, even gave Cleland/Irvine/Rafferty/Carson a lift back to FP after training down the Ashy. Got quite pally with Marshall and One Willie Irvine after a supporters dinner. Marsh used to live near my work in Carrick Knowe and bumped into him a few times, and Willie Irvine invite me and my ex out for a few drinks with his wife back when I lived in Livi and he lived in Whitburn :unsure:

Cusack and Phsyco were regulars when I worked in the Rococo .... fun days :D

Was in the garage in Glasgow (feeling mighty old) during preseason this year the day after the flamurturi game and met Jamie Murphy! Shook his hand and said well done on the hat-trick but he looked mighty shocked that someone recognised him! Seemed a nice enough guy tho...

2 years ago met Stevie Hammel n Buzz in the Corinthian in town. I was quite shy but the wife went right up and chatted with them, I followed her across n chatted to Stevie who was a gent. Buzz was wearing the gayest Cardigan ever tho which my mates found quite funny!

Anybody ever met John Boyle either? We met him on train on way to Easter Road for CIS semi, top bloke but the limpest handshake ever!

Met him when we won 2-0 a the New Bayview in a LC tie a few years ago. He offered to buy me and Jamsie a beer but I had to decline as I was driving. Seemed bizarre to refuse a drink from a multi-millionaire!

Myself and a couple of others had the good fortune to have James McFadden in our quiz team for the Association quiz a couple of years in a row. Quiet guy but knew his stuff football wise (even managed to point out when the quizmaster had got an answer wrong). Met him at a POTY do a bit later and he'd come out of his shell a bit. Could obviously remember what I drank from the Quiz night and bought me a drink without even asking.

Met a couple of others (Clarkson, Quinn, Fagan, Fitzpatrick) at similar association events and they've all been sound enough guys. Thing is, playing for Motherwell is unlikely to (or shouldn't) give you a massive ego...

Spent an entire day 1-1 with Davie Cooper while working at his house, he didnae want to train and I din't want to go to my next job, so I spent the day with Coop having tea and toast. It was the day after we beat Celtic in '91 cup semi.

A total gent of a guy and sound as fuck, he bumped my boss for the job too, that elevates him to legendary status anyway, but any time I saw him afterwards while working at Fir Park or out and about he always said hello or bought a round. He was top class.

Apart from that there are hunners of others, been extremely fortunate to have met my heroes and none of them have been pricks (except Kirkie, who was a prick in and around Fir Park but has made up for it in recent years and even admitted as much in conversation)

He was my favourite player to have met too! B-)

I might have posted some of this before.....Met Davie Cooper at the hospitality inn in irvine the night before the 91 final. He was sitting with a pint along with our physio at the time (name escapes me the now). The rest of the boys were all round a table in the main lobby just playing cards apart from uncle phil, who was on the payphone. Managed to get them all to sign my programs for the full cup run. Anyway, Davie was chatting away to me and my brother and he says to the bro ''so, you a well fan as well?''

In his usual spacker language the brother says ''naw, rangers''. Davie says ''aye, the best team wee man.''

Thing is the way he said it. He just gave me a look like you know somebodys winding you up but in the nicest way. Goes out the next day and lays on a couple of goals for us. Another legend B-) Know what though, the only player that i never got a autograph off that day was Phil. Didn't want to be rude and interupt his call and now, i wish i did cos he wouldn't have minded.

Mon The Well

Interviewed Nick Cusack for GLF when he just moved up from peterborough - he was staying in a flat on Wishaw Main Street. Absolute gent of a guy and into decent music and stuff. Kirkie was sound as a pound too - wanted to say so much more in his interview but was worried about being too controversial.

Likewise interviewed wee Tom Tom McLean - absolutely brilliant guy who would have talked all day about the 'well. Was absolutely commited to achieving as much as he possibly could with us.

I met Tommy Coyne outside FP the day he signed - he was just standing around outside mulling things over with his big trench coat on. I asked him if he was gonna sign and he just smiled and said - it's looking good.

I can only comment briefly on Quinn - didn't meet him - but heard him talking to Flow outside FP a day or two before he left for Cardiff. Sounded like a complete tit to me! However most around the club seemed to say differently.

I bumped into Alex McLeish in Hamilton Palace not long after he joined, he was in himself which I thought a little bizarre...anyway full of the beer I strolled up to him and goes..."Alright big man, you no' pulling the boots on yersel this year...'cause yer better than the shite yer sendin' oot on the park!"

Hink a was sleberrin shite to Gordon Marshall who was in the Mega Bar surrounded wae burds half his age !

Livin the dream big man :lol:

Met Paul McStay n Andy Smith as well, was actually introduced to Andy Smith as "the future of scottish football" by his gaffer at the time, only time he was'nt a pure fanny to us he was always movin us for playin footbal outside his bit.

Met Faddy twice on nights out in the town.

First time was back in the day when he was still breaking through and a bit of a wild one, he was standing outside the shak, eating chips and shouting abuse at a bouncer i think.

Next time was a few years later just before he left us. He was outside the garage, a good bit more grown up and certainly a lot more sober than I was. He was bang on, shook this drunken steamers hand and gave a bit of 'well chat.

Met Dougie Arnott tons of times, usually at the golf or bowling club. First time, I was a 16 year old, and was drawn to play against him in a tie at the bowling club. Fucking loved it, a 16 year old playing and beating Doooooouuuuuugggggggggiiiiiiiieeeee! He even gave me a lift home afterwards.