Wee Bit O' Gossip

Eddiesteelman

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heard today Paul Slane has to go for another operation, putting him on the sidelines for 4/6 weeks. Celtic are definitely chasing him, but he sees his short to mid term future playing first team football at Fir Park.

This is like a soap opera.............

Shame about the injury/operation if that is true. At this rate we will be lucky if he turns out before Xmas!!

I believe a decent (1st team) contract offer is on the table - as has been reported - but he is a young lad who is being given too much advice on what to do.

It's not rocket science. Stay at Motherwell and play 1st team football for a couple of years or go to celtic and rot in the reserves stifling his advancement. And before anyone mentions more money. I believe it is highly unlikely he will earn any more by moving to Celtic at his age and stage in his career.

The longer he delays a decision the more time he spends on his YTS contract = less money.

Question - do we play him if it is obvious he wants to move on??

Come on Paul - stop mucking Motherwell around - make the right decision and stay. All the fans want you too and in the long run it will be the right decision. If you progress as much as hoped - you will probably get the move to Parkhead at some point in time.......

Come on Paul - stop mucking Motherwell around - make the right decision and stay.

Who said he's mucking us around? Both parties are talking/negotiating a new contract by the sounds of it and its a process which usually takes a wee while. I don't think Jim Gannon will take anyone mucking him about and false rumours of young players "mucking Motherwell around" is enough cause for many of our fickle fans to get on the players back.

Lets just wish Paul a speedy recovery and keep faith in Gannon as he's shown already that he knows what to do in getting our young players to sign longer deals.

Is it just me who isn't totally convinced by his consistency yet? Could well be another Pearson at this point.

I don't think anyone has seen enough of Paul in a 1st team jersey to really know the answer to that one.

Don't believe anyone doubts that he has ability - and is likely to improve with experience and decent coaching.

I hope for the lad's sake he has a full and speedy recovery and is back playing sooner rather than later.

As for a new contract with Motherwell - we all know the arguments for and against him staying at Fir Park - its up to him to do what he thinks is best for himself. Time will tell whether he makes an ill advised move like Pearson, or goes on to be the 1st ex Motherwell player (including Faddy) in years to take the Premiership by storm.

Who said he's mucking us around? Both parties are talking/negotiating a new contract by the sounds of it and its a process which usually takes a wee while. I don't think Jim Gannon will take anyone mucking him about and false rumours of young players "mucking Motherwell around" is enough cause for many of our fickle fans to get on the players back.

Lets just wish Paul a speedy recovery and keep faith in Gannon as he's shown already that he knows what to do in getting our young players to sign longer deals.

Ok Dodge - I accept that my turn of phrase was perhaps a little harsh. But as I understand it the offer has been on the table for some time and he is yet to accept it.

Now back to the real world....if I or most posters were offered a job or contract extension and our stance was to take to weeks or maybe even months to reach a decision - I am quite sure our prospective employers would look elsewhere. Whilst I accept that playing football is a different environment or scenario to most 'normal jobs' there are some areas that are similar.

Maybe these issues do take longer in football - I just believe that this would have been a done deal had there not been other (reported) options. Forbes, Hutchison and Saunders have signed extensions.....so again why the long wait?

Thats my thinking, which is a bit of a shame. How long has he actually been at the club? I hate this when players will quite gladly come up through the youth ranks and then as soon as they reach the first team decide they are too good and engineer a move away asap.

Paul-Slane-Motherwell-2009-pa2_2353463.jpgstephen_pearson_home.jpg

Don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out, son.

What a pile of pish! The boys been injured for weeks, nothing has been said by him to indicate he doesn't want to sign, and then we have wallopers like you jumping to conclusions.

As to your earlier point about consistency? How you can judge that from a handful of european games where he was one of our star performers is beyond me.

The boy is (from what limited first team action we have seen), by far and away our brightest prospect since Faddy. Give him a chance at least, he hasn't said one thing negative about Motherwell, nor conducted himself in a 'whoreing mannor' looking for the first route out.

Basically, away an geez awe peace!

We all know Majority of fans want Slane to stay, Including myself.

Based on the Pre-season Europa league form he played well, not great. Did he change the games? Well no not really. Scored one peach in the 8 v 1 game but the opponent wasnt great.

Theres raw telent to be nurtured and developed and its proven Motherwell has one of the Best Youth systems in Scottish maybe Brittish football. There is a bit of Faddy about him.

Unfortunately, Paul Slane has to make a decision, Until i hear from him what he wants to do i will support the player, and the team. If his heart isnt in it then performances deteriorate and he is as well to move on and we can use the money to develop another young player.

As for the contract signing, the boys who have signed have impressed and done well for the club. Moreso deserving than Slane.

If you agree or disagree it doesnt really matter, we are all entitled to oppinions.

At least Pearo gave us some fine displays.

While he has obvious raw talent, Slane has done the square root of heehaw in the league.

He needs to prove he isn't a permanent crock before I'd lose any sleep about him leaving.

He's done the square root of heehaw in the league basically because he has had about half an hour combined playing time! Lets give the boy time eh, instead of slaughtering him on the basis of sourceless gossip.

He played one great game in Europe, against a pub team. Other than that, what exactly has he done for Motherwell to even command a first team contract with us, never mind Celtic? The fact that he's got a re-occurring injury which has kept him out for the first couple of months of the season (so far) doesn't bode well either. At the very least he should be making some sort of public statement regarding his situation. Since he hasn't done that, it's easy to see why people would assume the worst.

He's done less for us than all the boys who have signed. He either has some ego on him, or he's being ill-advised. Either way, it only suggests to me that he's not the type of guy I'd want in my dressing room.

Harsh, but fair.

And has anybody actually heard anything from the player himself? Didn't think so. How about we just wait and whatever happens with Slane, happens and take it from there.

For what it's worth, I don't see him moving on for a couple of years and it's just like some of our fans to start dishing out the abuse on the back of more hearsay and chinese whispers.

Give the guy a break. Lets get him back to fitness first, then see what he can do if he gets a run in the team. He looked good against Flamurtari and Steaua and did well in his limited time against Killie but it's hardly enough exposure to brand him the next anything.

He's done less for us than all the boys who have signed. He either has some ego on him, or he's being ill-advised. Either way, it only suggests to me that he's not the type of guy I'd want in my dressing room.

It doesn't exactly leave us a large pool of players who you would have in your team though!! :)

As Faddy showed, ego is not necessarily a bad thing - often folk confuse it with a winners mentality. And lets be honest - we have all received poor advice in our time.

I know where you are coming from, but if I was Slane and was reading this thread, I would be packing my bags now regardless of whether I really wanted to stay or not.

Not every player is lucky enough to be a Dosser at heart, and should not be judged by our high standards. Just a thought, but instead of demanding loyalty, perhaps showing a little by getting behind the boy and showing him that he is wanted may not be the worst thing in the world.

He played one great game in Europe, against a pub team. Other than that, what exactly has he done for Motherwell to even command a first team contract with us, never mind Celtic? The fact that he's got a re-occurring injury which has kept him out for the first couple of months of the season (so far) doesn't bode well either. At the very least he should be making some sort of public statement regarding his situation. Since he hasn't done that, it's easy to see why people would assume the worst.

Harsh, but fair.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion about the guy's ability and his worth to the team or the club.

But as for the part in bold why should he say anything? He's under contract and whilst he is, is surely under no obligation to discuss his anything to do with his contract publically until he's either signed a new one or signed for another team.

Anything comment from Slane beyond committing himself to us or a new team is only likely to result in similar posts to the like that have cropped up since the start of the season with folk taking rumours and speculation and taking exactly what they want from it.