Wee Bit O' Gossip

Eddiesteelman

All I'm saying is, regardless of what team the boy supports, putting one (two at most) good performances aside, early indications suggest that he is injury prone and, if I was being harsh, arrogant and a potential unsettling influence. With the squad we have just now, I'm not sure we can afford to have a guy like that around, especially if he's negotiated a better deal than his peers, so I wouldn't be disgusted if he went to Celtic in January. The hype this season should add a bit to the original £40k quoted, so if we got six figures for him I'd take your arm off. Even £40k with a sell-on clause would please me.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You also said he should be making a statement.

How many 17 year olds at any club are allowed to make statements to the press??

Give the kid a break. Gannon himself said Slane was desparatley dissapointed when he pulled up in the warm up at St Johnstone, and he's been injured since. The boy must be desparate to play, especially considering the impact he made in the european games which suggested he would be a first team regular, and now as he see's the rest of the new team doing so well.

I don't doubt that he's desperate to play. That's not really my point. If he's going to spend half his time on the treatment table amid rumours that he's choking to sign for Celtic then I won't be gutted to lose him. With the number of games that he's played for us, he should be signing the first decent contract that's put in front of him. If he thinks he's good enough to even mull over a (presumably) three year deal, then he's arrogant and thick. If I was Gannon, I'd be putting a deadline on him signing the contract before withdrawing it and adding what should have been his wage onto a contract offer for Giles.

I don't doubt that he's desperate to play. That's not really my point. If he's going to spend half his time on the treatment table amid rumours that he's choking to sign for Celtic then I won't be gutted to lose him. With the number of games that he's played for us, he should be signing the first decent contract that's put in front of him. If he thinks he's good enough to even mull over a (presumably) three year deal, then he's arrogant and thick. If I was Gannon, I'd be putting a deadline on him signing the contract before withdrawing it and adding what should have been his wage onto a contract offer for Giles.

If I was Gannon, I would be banning the players from reading nonsensical reactionary dribble, posted by a bunch of fannies on the internet. IMO. :lol:

Aye, ok. Settle down.

Wouldn't it be much more interesting if we set up a forum where post 2-102 on every thread were just folk going "Aye, you're right", "I agree" and "Good point"....?

If you've nothing sensible to say then we'll just call a halt to this thread here, aye?

Slane knows, Gannon knows, and we all know, that Paul is far from being the finished article. To describe him as the most exciting prospect in years, and comparing him to James McFadden just is laughable, he's nothing more than just "another" prospect emerging from the Motherwell youth system. As I said, he knows he has to develop in the Motherwell 1st team for a couple of years to continue his footballing education. However tempting it may be to him to join Celtic, he knows Fir Park is the place for him at the moment, and will tie himself to Motherwell. As to why he hasn't yet signed that contract, I honestly don't know.

Well, there has been things said on this thread that is absolute not true whatsoever.

For (a quick) example, he's probably the least arrogant lad you'll ever meet in your life....

'Flow

I said early indications suggest that he's injury prone. He's missed twice as many games as he's played so far so I think that comment is justified.

I also said a potential unsettling influence. I said potential because that would only be the case if these rumours are true. I don't know any better than you if they are or not.

And I also said he could be classed as arrogant if he's holding out for more money than his peers. But again, neither you or I know if that is the case, but it's natural that people would jump to similar conclusions when a contract offer is left on the table.

Quoting one word per sentence to describe what I said - you should see if Scott can get a job with the Sun!

Well, there has been things said on this thread that is absolute not true whatsoever.

For (a quick) example, he's probably the least arrogant lad you'll ever meet in your life....

'Flow

I don't think you're helping your case mate. The last time there was a rumour on this forum, you came on and categorically denied it and the thread ground to a halt. The fact that you're contributing to this thread without denying the rumours is only adding fuel to the fire in my opinion.

I've never met the lad so have no comment to make about his personality, but he seemed to be a funny, likeable wee guy going by his interview in the paper. I would suspect his agent/family are filling his head with nonsense but, then again, that would be jumping to conclusions aswell.

I said early indications suggest that he's injury prone. He's missed twice as many games as he's played so far so I think that comment is justified.

I also said a potential unsettling influence. I said potential because that would only be the case if these rumours are true. I don't know any better than you if they are or not.

And I also said he could be classed as arrogant if he's holding out for more money than his peers. But again, neither you or I know if that is the case, but it's natural that people would jump to similar conclusions when a contract offer is left on the table.

Quoting one word per sentence to describe what I said - you should see if Scott can get a job with the Sun!

I wasn't describing what you said. I was quoting what you said. You say he's potentially arrogant and unsettling, I say "says who?".

As for early indications suggesting that he is injury prone, I really have no idea where thats come from. He's injured, not injury prone. If, in 2 seasons time, he's been out for more games than he's played then you can call him injury prone. As far as I'm aware he held a regular place in the under 19s squad over the last few seasons.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but has this not now been three seperate injuries that has kept him out for this length of time? I could see your point if it was one bad injury that had been the problem.

If the rumours are correct and it turns out that he's knocking back Motherwells offer for either: a)more money or b)a move to Celtic, would you not agree that would make him arrogant? At 17 thinking that he is worth more money than Forbes, Hutchison, etc or, worse still, thinking that he is too good to stay at 'Well is arrogant in my book. But again, that is only the case if the rumours are correct. As it stands, we have no real reason to believe or disbelieve them. But the longer that contract sits on the table unsigned with no comment coming from Slane or the club, then the more believable they become.

Im saying you are a potential unsettling influence to this board with ludicrous posts such as this! Maybe you should consider your options....Kerrydale St has openings available! :lol:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but has this not now been three seperate injuries that has kept him out for this length of time? I could see your point if it was one bad injury that had been the problem.

If the rumours are correct and it turns out that he's knocking back Motherwells offer for either: a)more money or b)a move to Celtic, would you not agree that would make him arrogant? At 17 thinking that he is worth more money than Forbes, Hutchison, etc or, worse still, thinking that he is too good to stay at 'Well is arrogant in my book. But again, that is only the case if the rumours are correct. As it stands, we have no real reason to believe or disbelieve them. But the longer that contract sits on the table unsigned with no comment coming from Slane or the club, then the more believable they become.

I don't know about the injuries, I was under the impression this was his first real spell out the team. Maybe someone else can clear this up?

As for the rest, there's too much speculation about whats going on or what he's like as a person with very little substance in any of the rumours. Delaying signing the contract doesn't always mean he's after more money. What's best for a player's career might not always be what's best for a their bank book.

You are right though, there's no reason to believe or disbelieve anything just now which is why your blunt post earlier seemed a bit uneccessary and now you seem to be trying to defend it.

'Flow

The vast majority on here want paul Slane to stay and develop at the club. I don't think anyone can judge his character without actually knowing him. From what I have heard he is a shy likeable lad.

The problem is that this thread would not even exist if he were to sign a new contract/contract extension for the club. With regards to this, as I mentioned earlier there does seem to be a long wait. And whilst this may be down to people filling the lads head with all sorts of nonsense - I am quite sure he is confused as what to do. He is just a young lad after all.

Apart from 1 or 2 posters - no-one is having a go at him. We just would like a decision one way or another.

The fact this thread exists shows that we as fans do care about his future as it relates to MFC. No thread = no-one cares.

In many ways - although it may not appear to be the case - this whole thread is a back handed compliment to the young lad and were he to read it - he should take that as the defining message.

The problem is that this thread would not even exist if he were to sign a new contract/contract extension for the club.

I agree with the most of what you said mate but we've got to be patient regarding this kinda stuff - especially with younger players who'll have agents and/or advisors to sort out (as much as I despise agents and "advisors").

We've got a manager who is backing up what he says with actions and by the looks of it plenty of young eager future stars in the making. Lets put our faith where we should. If it works out then great, if it doesn't then I'm sure Jim'll make sure the club get decent fee should the player move on. More importantly during this negotiation period we should be looking to help make the Motherwell the attractive choice. I know you think this thread is a back handed compliment but it makes harsh reading and very judgemental on a player who'se played a small amount of games for the club. I know we all want to see what best for everyone but a little calm is whats required here - not over-reacting to the slightest rumour. For every truthful rumour out there I'd bet theres at least twice as many false ones out there as well.

Boy this has grown arms and legs !!! I was under the impression that the first post was quite positive, in that although he'd require another op, he did see his immediate future at Fir Park. This bizarre condemnation of his character (and his advisors), which have followed leaves me regretting starting such a thread. The next time I hear a bit of gossip, I'll keep it to myself !!

I think that's the whole point eddiesteelman. What starts out as a wee bit of idle gossip on

here gets picked up by somebody who puts their own slant on it and before you know it a young laddie who has hardly broken through to the first team has become an arrogant, unsettling influence who canny wait to pull on the hoops and is desperate to follow his childhood heroes.

We don't know what is going on behind the scenes and probably it's better that way.

What will be will be but at the moment young Slane is injured and canny play FOR ANYBODY so why don't we just wait till he's fit again and see what happens.

We would be better trying to gee up the team before the game at the Tattiebowl than starting a thread which will only encourage the unhappy clappy brigade to spout their ideas.

Mon the Dossers

:wallbash:B-)