Wee Bit O' Gossip

Eddiesteelman

If Slane fancies a move to Celtic, and they are actually interested in signing him, you couldn't blame him for giving it a bash.

Imagine if one of us was a young lad playing for Morton or the like, getting good reviews and a pretty good chance of making the 1st team on a regular basis.

Then you hear that Motherwell are interested. First team football won't be on the agenda in the short-term, but long-term....

Would you knock back an opportunity that may not reappear?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

how exactly did simo treat the club and fans abominably?

Happy to explain this one. At the time Simo was popular amongst a substantial section of our support and in recognition of his efforts the club, in confidence it has to be said, tried to make him an improved offer to stay when his deal was coming to an end. In the event they found it very difficult to make him an offer. Quite a few fans were giving the club absolute pelters publicly for not making him an offer. Pelters bordering on abuse.

The truth of the matter was somewhat different.

The club, played it by the book and attempted to contact Valakari's agent by phone, in person, by fax and by post but he ignored the lot. Meanwhile the fans' criticism was growing louder by the day, for treating their hero in such a fashion. The club then tried to discuss the situation with the player directly but he refused all attempts to negotiate or even talk about it. Neither the player nor agent said anything, nothing whatsoever.

Not surprisngly the club gave up coming to the conclusion that Valakari was offski and they were right weren't they? Neither he nor his agent had the decency to tell the club or the fans that he was going to move on.

And that, my friend, is the tale of Simo Valakari's departure, as told to a group of Well fans in Edinburgh.

we have a boy at the age of 17 on our hands who runs at players and takes them on like nothing ive seen since mcfadden. he has the pace that mcfadden didnt have. now im not saying that he is going to be better than mcfadden, but he is potentially the next best thing.

lets get behind the boy, give him the encouragement that he deserves. if he fucks us over then booo him, but give the boy a chance while he is playing with us!

Folk are desparate to booo the now tho!

"Please let us booooo".

"What are we booooing about today fellow well fan?"

"Dunno!"

"Booooo anyway!"

"Boooooooo Motherwell!"

"Shiiiite" etc etc etc!

Aye, Booooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I have never, at any point, claimed to have any inside information on the Paul Slane situation. But my opinion remains that IF he is holding us to randsom for more money and/or a move to Celtic then fuck him. If not, then I'll be as delighted as the next guy when he comes back from injury with a 3-year deal signed and terrorises defences in a claret and amber shirt before moving on in a couple of years for a fee.

It is right that some sections of the 'Well support criticse everything, but it is also true that some sections of the 'Well support won't criticise anything. I am somewhere in the middle. If Paul Slane commits himself to Motherwell and gives 100% while he's here, then he'll get my full support, but it must be said that I am not a Paul Slane supporter, a Jim Gannon supporter or a John Boyle supporter (or, dare I say it, even a 'Flow supporter! ;) ) - I am only a Motherwell supporter and I want who and what is best for my club.

It's only manners no' to jump the gun with the boo-ing (or criticism) tho is it no'

Paul Slane may or may no be the person people have described.

He may be taking his time ona deal for a number of reasons one of which being he may want to maximise what he gets from us.

For those that are desperate to get the tackity boots on - can you no' just wait to see what 'actually' happens and judge the guy on his actions.

Right now he's excited me every time I've seen him in C&A, he remains a Motherwell player and he's mulling over his options on a new contract.

Things may change and he may disappoint a few, including myself, by moving on. if he does he'll be judged on those 'actions' (that's something that he has actually done, no thought up or pre-empted by any of us)

let's give him the chance to make his mind up and if we get an opportunity show him that he's wanted here before the transfer window let's do it.

If it doesn't work out at least he'll have a fair idea of how it'll go down ;)

I'm not going to boo him the next time he plays regardless, and all my criticism is based on "If the rumours are true...".

Unfortunately, rumours are a part of football at every level and we can't just ignore the ones we don't like and circulate the positive ones. Also, the way football is these days with agents, etc makes such things easy to believe, whether we want to or not.

I'm not going to boo him the next time he plays regardless, and all my criticism is based on "If the rumours are true...".

And if they are not you are going to look like a bit of a dick. If they are then you were 100% right and we all look like dicks for defending him.

My question is why be so negative about the issue, as you have no idea whats going on?

The only negative noise we have heard is from here.Yet when it comes to Slane himself or the club it has all be positive noise.

Tbf to Slane, why shouldn't he hold Motherwell to "ransom" for a better wage deal. If Gannon/Young thing he is as good as they do, and he knows it then why shouldn't he get paid what he thinks a player of that standing should be paid - every player, especially one with a "good" Agent will do the same.

Unfortunately, rumours are a part of football at every level and we can't just ignore the ones we don't like and circulate the positive ones. Also, the way football is these days with agents, etc makes such things easy to believe, whether we want to or not.

I have a foolproof system whereby I believe absolutely nothing until it happens, built up over decades of reading and listening to absolute pish from 'offeeshal sources'. Rumours schmumours. I don't doubt some guys post things on here with the best of intentions, equally some like to play the juvenile card (I know something you don't know doo daa doo daa) but to be honest I take the opinion all of it's shite until something actually happens. Works for me. :lol:

I don't think I'm being OTT negative, but every noise we've heard has been a negative one, and they do say there's no smoke without fire. I'm not saying that the stories are true, and I hope they're not, even if you think it makes me look like a dick.

Your post with Slaney and Pearson, based on absolutely zip wasn't OTT negative?

It was maybe a bit flippant, but can you not see how I would make the comparison? They're even both plooky and ginger firfuxake!

Naw, it was ott, uncalled for and out of order, particularly when thinking about a 17 year old boy who's done buggerall wrong.

I think the best comparison would be the intelligence of Frazzle with that of Barry Ferguson.

Who said he's mucking us around? Both parties are talking/negotiating a new contract by the sounds of it and its a process which usually takes a wee while. I don't think Jim Gannon will take anyone mucking him about and false rumours of young players "mucking Motherwell around" is enough cause for many of our fickle fans to get on the players back.

Lets just wish Paul a speedy recovery and keep faith in Gannon as he's shown already that he knows what to do in getting our young players to sign longer deals.

I agree with that. I also heard Paul needs more surgery. Give the lad a chance to get back on his feet, and let JG deal with the contract side as it happens - he seems to know what he's doin.

If I was headhunted (heres hoping!) offering me more cash than I am currently on, then of course I am going to consider it. I would also use it to get more cash from my current employer to stay (if they wanted me that is).

I know its a bit different in fitba because it is a limited career life and that if you are playing 1st team fitba you are more in the shop window to gain perhaps a possible even bigger move. However due to the limited time, also due to the chance of career ending injuries and at the age of 17 not fulfilling your potential, I wouldn't blame him for going to the tattie munchers if he is getting more cash.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't be happy and would love him to stay, fulfill his potential and earn a big move in a few years time but its a risk I am not sure I would want to take (if I wasn't a Well fan that is).

It could also be the club that are delaying on the contract until they see how he recovers from his injury?

Naw, it was ott, uncalled for and out of order, particularly when thinking about a 17 year old boy who's done buggerall wrong.

I think the best comparison would be the intelligence of Frazzle with that of Barry Ferguson.

At least what I'm saying, whether it's harsh, uncalled for or whatever, is structured and considerred. Your posts on the matter have lent nothing to the debate, so I'm afraid that I've reached the conclusion that you, my friend, are the idiot.

At least what I'm saying, whether it's harsh, uncalled for or whatever, is structured and considerred. Your posts on the matter have lent nothing to the debate, so I'm afraid that I've reached the conclusion that you, my friend, are the idiot.

And the posting of the Slane-Pearson picture is not idiotic? .......Away n' take a look at yersel!

You were WRONG to post that particular picture...simples! That is the only propblem in your argument i'm affraid