Favourite 'well Player Ever

ONeils40yarder

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nijholt. Hard as nails and skillful. What more can one ask for in a footballer...?

Although, it's interesting that it's not always the "best" players who become our particular favourites. I still have a soft spot for Gahagan, Valakari and McFadden and only one of the three is likely to be mentioned in terms of greatest Motherwell players when it comes to ability...

Aside from Cooper and Faddy, who are the obvious choices when it comes to skill/entertainment, also loved Rab MacKinnon (an entertaining fullback if thats not a contradiction), Uncle Phil (particularly in his younger box to box period)l, Boydy in his flying fullback days and wee Dougie. Oh and Krisztian Vadocz obviously...

Too many to single one out.

Tommy Coyne for me. Started becoming a regular at Fir Park the season before the signed and when being a kid you automatically take a shine to the guy scoring the goals. Not until I looked back in recent years and see how good he actually was at the time.

Quite liked Spencer aswell when he first signed for us!

Pettigrew, Graham, McRae, Marinello, Wark, McLair (the first time), Gregor Stevens (the first time), Jaws Forsyth, Nijholt, Tommy Boyd (especially when he played sweeper), McVie, Coyne, Cooper, Bobby Russell, Faddy, Gahagan, Uncle Phil, Stevie Kirk, Shuggie Sproat, Brian Heron, Jumbo Muir, Kirkie Lawson, Dixie Deans, both Psychos etc. etc.

Been lucky enough to have seen many great players and characters strut their stuff at Fir Park. Impossible to pick even a top 10.

What he said :D

MON RA DOSSERS

Had a long hard think about this and find it difficult to pick any particular one.

My first 'Well hero in the mid '60's was Dixie Deans. I dont suppose I will ever get over the shock of his move to Celtic, I broke my heart for days. I haven't seen a better 'keeper in Motherwell colours since Keith MacRae, he was another idol of mine. I was fortunate enough to meet Malcom Allison a few years ago and tore a strip off him for disappointing me by signing big Keith. Joe Wark, Willie Pettigrew, Bobby Graham, Vic Davidson, Bobby Watson, all of them through the 1970's. Peter Millar got a bad press but, when the guy wasn't playing keepie uppie with the opposition, he was a better player on the ball than he was ever given credit for. When you get into the '80's and 90's you have to include Gahagan, McAllister, Mauchlen, Boyd, Coyne, Ferguson, Nijholt, McCart, and of course Kirkie, the list is endless. Ifg pushed I would go with Dixie Deans he was my first big hero.

Pettigrew, Graham, McRae, Marinello, Wark... Gregor Stevens (the first time), Jaws Forsyth... McVie

Joe Wark, Willie Pettigrew, Bobby Graham, Vic Davidson, Bobby Watson, all of them through the 1970's. Peter Millar got a bad press but, when the guy wasn't playing keepie uppie with the opposition, he was a better player on the ball than he was ever given credit for.

Of all the squads that won nothing was there any other that contained as many players held with such affection?

Or is it just a generation thing for those of us who stepped onboard the rollercoaster in the early to mid 70's?