Favourite 'well Player Ever

ONeils40yarder

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of all the squads that won nothing was there any other that contained as many players held with such affection?

Or is it just a generation thing for those of us who stepped onboard the rollercoaster in the early to mid 70's?

Well, I think it was a better squad than the ones I watched win the First Division ;)

Obviously, all of the above at various times but may I also mention:

Wullie Hunter,Andy Weir,Bert McCann,Hastie Weir,Andy Paton(especially when he decided to go for a wee dribble and beat 4 or 5 players in his own penalty box),Sammy& Billy Reid,Big John Martis,Bobby McCallum(one of the best full backs the Well ever had, I've got to say that as him and his girlfriend used to babysit me when I was wee) Matt Thomson and Big Jim Forrest.

I could probably think of others but it is late. So I'll stop there. :huh::P:D

Not an easy question like top 10 fav. albums or films.

For me -

Boyd - Solid attacking full back. Remember 1st game of 90-91 season was it when we beat Celtic 2-0. Celtic had a big guy signed from Arsenal Martin Hayes and Boyd ran rings aroon him. It's not often we had the chance to sign "Arsenal Reject Hello...." but we did that sunny day.

Cooper - There's not much new you can say about the man. Remember a league game against Dundee Utd at Fir Park that I think we won 3-2 or 4-2 in the end and Cooper played an inch perfect defence-splitting pass through to wee Dougie who finished with aplomb. Only 2 games a week were televised in those days and it was a real pleasure to watch us on Sportscene that night.

Gahagan - Was there ever a better sight that Wee Johnny charging down the right wing in front of the shed in the second half of a game?

Kirk - Legend in our lunch-time. Was stood at the Gorgie Road end when he saved Wayne Foster's penalty. We were 2-0 down in that game if I remember rightly and came back to claim a 2-2 draw. And who will forget the moment when his blooter from Cooper's lay-off left Sniejder Aberdeen goalie floundering in is own net? When he scored the winning goal on 18th May in That Game, I was emotionally and physically gone, all I could do was collapse onto the barrier in front of me in celebration.

Maxwell - Under-rated goalie in my opinion. What he went through in the Cup Final, a goalie would never be asked to do in today's game. Course, you have sub goalie's noo for one thing. There's a reason it was his face on the front of the Sunday Mail the next day.

McClair (1st stint) - His hat-trick against Rangers at Fir Park in Jan 83 will long live in the memory. Think I caught the flu that day and so missed his 2 goals against Celtic days later in a 2-1 win. Packie Bonnar drops a cross in the last minute and Choccy is in like a rat up a drain-pipe. Richard "The Dick" Park's voice can barely contain his sorrow as he exclaims "oh no...Motherwell have scored...." on Radio Clyde's commentary.

Nihjolt - Super solid at the back and in midfield when required. Looking at the re-runs nowadays, I can see but didn't realise at the time he had quite a few fouls in the Cup Final and was finally booked. Deservedly won Man of the Match in the semi-final game I'm sure.

O'Donnell - Anyone who scores their first goal for their club as an 18 year old in a Cup Final is mature beyond their years. Integral part of Motherwell.

Pettigrew - His goal against Celtic in the 76 Cup Game has to be seen to be believed. A genuine striker who knew where the goal was.

Philliben - Big Softy may not have been one of the 13 for the actual final but his exploits helped us get there make no mistake. He should have been in O'Neil's place, who had a knee operation days before, was never fit.

Wark - Mr. Motherwell. He knew your father and mine as well.

Honourable Subs -

Bobby Graham - Pettigrew's other half.

McFadden (I live & work abroad so have only been able to get to maybe 5 games in past 12 years so only saw Faddy once in the flesh.

not got an easier question than this?????? I would have to say big Seib. He was my favourite when i was younger and you had to have a favourite player.

It is easier to put down your favourite team....

1. Sieb

3. Boyd 5. Criagan 4. Mio 2. Luc

11. Cooper 10. O'Donnell 6. Simo

7. McFadden 9. Coyne 7. Arnot

Subs

12. Kirk (has to be a sub)

13. Buff

14. Woods (sorry, but i liked him....)

15. Phsyco

16. corrigan

17.Gahagan

These are the guys that i have watched in my time, and I think they would be a match for most teams nowadays.

Lee

What I love about this thread is the number of names mentioned. Just goes to prove the wee Well have had there fair share of talent through the years. I'm glad no one player stands out. Charlie Aitken probably is the finest servant we ever had - though most of us are far too young to have known him.

Wullie Pettigrew was my hero as a lad - but hey - I'd settle for any of the Cup Final squad, Coyne, Faddy. Maybe in 5 years time, Jamie Murphy and Mark Reynolds will be on the list too.

Like many I've been priviliged to see many great players in C&A.

Best Goalkeeper

Keith MacRae

Best Defender

Brian Martin

Best Striker

Willie Pettigrew

Most Gifted Footballers

Davie Cooper, Bobby Russell and Vic Davidson.

Best Stirking Partnership

Willie Pettigrew and Bobby Graham.

First FP Hero

Dixie Deans.

Favourite 'Well Player Ever

By a park length Mr Motherwell himself, Joe Wark. Joe put his heart and soul into every performance he made in C&A and if he had a bad game it wasn't for lack of effort.

Good yin - how can anyone have a fave in clatet and amber - once the boys run out they are all "Motherwell, Motherwell, Motherwell!

For me though the boyx of note over the years have been wee Dougie "old firm -who" Arnott, Tommy "never dived" Coyne, Davie "what right foot" Cooper, Phil "our Uncle" O'Donnell, Tam "best left sided defender in scotland ever " Boyd and James "ambassador for Motherwell" Mc Fadden

New to the boards and didnt know where to post this ...

Former Motherwell player (2002-2003) is playing in the French 4th division for Saint Genevieve. Last season he scored 14 goals and had 12 assists for another 4th division side. I wrote a brief article on him:

http://boitachemma.blogspot.com/2009/01/le...aled-kemas.html

Feel free to leave some feedback! He didnt have the most successful time at Motherwell because of injuries but sounded like he had some potential.