Just A Thought.....

Emmjay

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two things that I think must make Mark McGhee feel a bit aggrieved at the moment. Firstly he is still getting criticised for the Hearts situation in the summer. In actual fact MM showed a degree of loyalty to the club which I think is almost unprecedented in modern times. Tommy McLean would have been at Hearts just now had it been him. Terry Butcher would be at Hearts just now had it been him. It is a minor miracle that MM did not take the Hearts job and I for one feel that he made a mistake by not taking it. At that time MM let his heart rule his head and has had nothing but stick for it ever since.

Secondly the attendance at FP this season has been shocking. As a rough (not quoting exact figures) idea, Aberdeen had approx 16000 at their home game against Hearts the other day. Going by current attendance MWell would have to play 4 times to match that figure, and yet there is an assumption (by some)that MWell should be sitting third in the SPL. It just does not add up. Some First Division teams like Dunfermline are getting close to Wells attendance figures at the moment.

That MM has defended himself recently is only natural and right. I still think he is the best manager in the SPL and we need to get behind him or we will most certainly loose him. Actually I am sure it is already too late because I am sure he his desperate to leave given the way he has been treated.

That Mr McGhee had his eye off the ball to consider going to pastures new earlier this year, was enough for him to reinforce his position, to me, as a man merely doing a job. This is really the basis of my argument. I'm old fashioned, I admit it. I like to think that, if someone is doing a job, its because he not only loves the passion of the game, but he loves the team colours which adorn the paycheck. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have a manager, who genuinely has the interests of the players and Club at heart....Utopian, I know!! Mr McGhee's style was the same before the summer...My opinion is that he has brought criticism upon himself, and he was never intending to stay for long...Last year, the Players/Club had the most horrendous experience, and I maintain that Mr McGhee failed them in the summer.....and he's been rumbled...

old fashioned, I admit it. I like to think that, if someone is doing a job, its because he not only loves the passion of the game, but he loves the team colours which adorn the paycheck.

That's not just old fashioned, that's bloody ancient. It is the fans job to care and love the colours not the manager/players.

McGhee may not be a Motherwell man but he got us to Europe, no matter what other criticisms of him there are and I know there are plenty, I'm sure we wouldn't swap that for anything. He also got praise for the manner in which he conducted himself after Phil died. I don't think someone needs to have Motherwell in their blood to have the best interests of the club at heart. Just because he doesn't support Motherwell doesn't mean he doesn't care about the players. Yes he talked himself into a rather large wage rise but lets remember it was Boyle's decision to pay him that wage. Look at Butcher, he wasn't a Motherwell fan but he's still remembered on the whole with fondness. Supporting the club doesn't necessarily mean someone will be a good manager, the two things don't necessarily go hand in hand.

Mark McGhee , in my humble opinion, has misjudged his leadership of the Team from this point last year, and instead of a positive and sensitive support, he seems to have allowed to develop an emotional indifference towards the welfare of his players.

Disagree entirely, as a fan whose attendance is considerably more than nominal, I think the welfare of his players is frequently uppermost in his thoughts never more so than the Huddle on Saturday

On the few occasions I've been at Fir Park this season, I've been dismayed to watch the players emerge from the tunnel like bees from a jam jar....every which way, and none at all...and instead of going on the pitch as a united front, they've been all over the place...physically as well as emotionally.

What would you have them do come on to the park holding hands ?

For Mr McGhee to berate the deficiences of the boys, and stand impassively on occasions on the sidelines, is at the very least, a cop out. He's only doing a job. His heart is elsewhere, and has been since he was rumbled. We need someone with integrity and passion to get us out of the mess.

That would be why on the poll I placed elsewhere on the Boards there was an overwhelming support for the manager (almost 80%), What exactly is this mess you speak off , with a long way to go we're not that far off the pace , 3 points off the buddies on saturday and take something from the jambos game we're right back in the mix

The support hasn't been slow in the past to criticise the leadership, but the silence is deafening at the moment.

Nope in fact there are several posts here calling for McGhees head.

However, yesterday showed a spark......and with a manager's passion for the Club, and I don't think its Mr McGhee, we could effectively claw back against a very poor season thus far.

Should you care to remove the blinkers you would see that Saturday was the first in many many games there was a full first team squad(well almost) to pick from and so the passing game returned, Coincidence ?

My opionion may mean little, but given that through my work, I live mostly in the middle of the north sea, surrouned by geordies and old firmers(scum), i'll give it anyway, ""'Well I've been a 'Well fan all of my life and I've seen some of struggles and some of our strife but what it comes to it i know it's my place to so " i am MOTHERWELL and God bless this race " and it's Motherwell - God bless this town, Motherwell, F.F, and it's Motherwell, It's Motherwell FC

My late father was a Steelman all his days...supported 'Well through good times and bad.

My interest has always been nominal, and fortunately, my kids are massive supporters.

Ergo...there is always discussion.

A year ago, my husband and kids were at the Motherwell/Dundee United game. As a family, we were stunned and saddened, and joined in the public display of support for Phil O'Donnell's family, and in turn for the players, and the Club.

One year on, and the loss is still keenly felt.

Mark McGhee , in my humble opinion, has misjudged his leadership of the Team from this point last year, and instead of a positive and sensitive support, he seems to have allowed to develop an emotional indifference towards the welfare of his players. On the few occasions I've been at Fir Park this season, I've been dismayed to watch the players emerge from the tunnel like bees from a jam jar....every which way, and none at all...and instead of going on the pitch as a united front, they've been all over the place...physically as well as emotionally. For Mr McGhee to berate the deficiences of the boys, and stand impassively on occasions on the sidelines, is at the very least, a cop out. He's only doing a job. His heart is elsewhere, and has been since he was rumbled. We need someone with integrity and passion to get us out of the mess.

Clearly, I'm no expert. I just know when someone isn't leading from the front, and biting the hands that are paying him....

The support hasn't been slow in the past to criticise the leadership, but the silence is deafening at the moment.

However, yesterday showed a spark......and with a manager's passion for the Club, and I don't think its Mr McGhee, we could effectively claw back against a very poor season thus far.

I'm now going to enter my nuclear bunker, and place my welder's helmet firmly over my big mouth.. :P ..but like the great Roy Walker would encourage his Catchphrasers...say what ye see :D

I've highlighted the phrase which particularly annoyed me in your post, although the entire thing was tiresome.

To say Mark McGhee "misjudged his leadership from this time last year" a period which coincided with the death of Phil O'Donnell, is a gross misrepresentation of the facts.

Mark McGhee impressed everyone in the way he handled events surrounding Phil's untimely and tragic demise. Not least the players. There were members of the team who found it hard to bring any enthusiasm to their game, others who couldn't bear the thought of playing football again, and yet others who just wanted to get out there and kick anything that moved.

Mark McGhee had to remotivate some of his players and get others to rechannel their aggression in a more positive way. To do all that and hold the team together and still finish in third place is nothing short of remarkable and a great deal of the credit lies firmly with Mark McGhee. Don't get me wrong, I'm no apologist for McGhee, sometimes his selections, tactics, and substitutions (or lack thereof) leave me mystified, but I doubt whether any manager anywhere worked harder or was more effective in the first 5 months of this year.

So to say he lost the plot this time last year is complete nonsense and invalidates the rest of your post.

I've highlighted the phrase which particularly annoyed me in your post, although the entire thing was tiresome.

To say Mark McGhee "misjudged his leadership from this time last year" a period which coincided with the death of Phil O'Donnell, is a gross misrepresentation of the facts.

Mark McGhee impressed everyone in the way he handled events surrounding Phil's untimely and tragic demise. Not least the players. There were members of the team who found it hard to bring any enthusiasm to their game, others who couldn't bear the thought of playing football again, and yet others who just wanted to get out there and kick anything that moved.

Mark McGhee had to remotivate some of his players and get others to rechannel their aggression in a more positive way. To do all that and hold the team together and still finish in third place is nothing short of remarkable and a great deal of the credit lies firmly with Mark McGhee. Don't get me wrong, I'm no apologist for McGhee, sometimes his selections, tactics, and substitutions (or lack thereof) leave me mystified, but I doubt whether any manager anywhere worked harder or was more effective in the first 5 months of this year.

So to say he lost the plot this time last year is complete nonsense and invalidates the rest of your post.

Thats not what I said, and to conclude your opinion misquoting me invalidates yours......to an extent....although I respect your reply.

I think the thing to remember, and I have seen a few people say the same thing, If you speak to the player McGhee is highly thought of. He has good people skills, he is articulate and can get his opinion across without ranting and raving and he bases his team selection (from what he has said) on players attitiude and performance on the training field. I am sure this is motivation enough for those players who are fighting for a position each week.

The club has obviously been through difficult times lately so I think it is imperative that fans get behind their players each week, the Gaffer and Leitchy are staunch professionals and we should respect their opinion when it comes to team selection because they are the ones seeing the players every day and can see the work that they put in and their desire to play in the team. So get behind our players whether you think they should be in the team or not.

As for Mcghee 'only doing a job...of course his is! He may not be 'a motherwell man' but that doesn't impact on his ability as a manager.. I'm sure there are many of our team who are not 'motherwell minded' but they do a job and have a want to do well for MOtherwell FC which imo is the most important thing!

As for Mcghee 'only doing a job...of course his is! He may not be 'a motherwell man' but that doesn't impact on his ability as a manager.. I'm sure there are many of our team who are not 'motherwell minded' but they do a job and have a want to do well for MOtherwell FC which imo is the most important thing!
Exactly. He may not be a Motherwell Man, but neither was wee Tommy, and he did no' bad.

I have been a big critic of McGhee's words and actions in the past. However, he made his choice to stick with us this season, even if it was at the airport, and I'm happy to support him and his team.Of course, that doesn't mean I won't moan about some of his decisions, but I still think he has the ability to turn the season around and move us up the table.

I suppose thats the beauty of being a football fan Weeyin, you don't always have to agree with the managers decision but if you can respect them then I believe you are showing your commitment to the Club.

I believe we should be very proud of our club. Those who know a bit about the everyday running of the club will know that the people there everyday work very hard for the club and many of them are 'motherwell minded' and work as hard, not only because its their job but because you can't help being caught up by the passion that other people have for the club.

It is a small club in comparison to others in Scotland and I believe there is a 'family-like' atmosphere at the club which is probably quite unique and something you only get at smaller clubs. So its easy to see why tempers become frayed when things don't go our way and I suppose in his role as manager the buck stops with McGhee and people will take their frustrations out on him.....I'm sure he knew that came with the job though!!!

I suppose thats the beauty of being a football fan Weeyin, you don't always have to agree with the managers decision but if you can respect them then I believe you are showing your commitment to the Club.

I believe we should be very proud of our club. Those who know a bit about the everyday running of the club will know that the people there everyday work very hard for the club and many of them are 'motherwell minded' and work as hard, not only because its their job but because you can't help being caught up by the passion that other people have for the club.

It is a small club in comparison to others in Scotland and I believe there is a 'family-like' atmosphere at the club which is probably quite unique and something you only get at smaller clubs. So its easy to see why tempers become frayed when things don't go our way and I suppose in his role as manager the buck stops with McGhee and people will take their frustrations out on him.....I'm sure he knew that came with the job though!!!

I know this only too well. And I agree with you. I want us to be where we were at the end of last season......and I hope the manager succeeds in fulfilling this..............but...(and I know never to end a sentence with a conjunction..)

The managers and the players need to fulfill this, it's not just down to McGhee and McGhee only. These are professional players paid to do a job. Perhaps McGhee no longer wants to be at Motherwell, but I would find it very hard to believe that someone could change their entire nature and go from being someone the players were happy to be managed by to someone who has lost their respect totally. We don't know what has gone wrong and the reasons behind it, it is all just speculation.

The managers and the players need to fulfill this, it's not just down to McGhee and McGhee only. These are professional players paid to do a job. Perhaps McGhee no longer wants to be at Motherwell, but I would find it very hard to believe that someone could change their entire nature and go from being someone the players were happy to be managed by to someone who has lost their respect totally. We don't know what has gone wrong and the reasons behind it, it is all just speculation.

Again... I've never said that the players had lost respect for Mr McGhee.

And I totally agree that its team effort.

What you have said though, is that you feel that he has developed an emotional indifference towards his players, I know that your first post was lengthy but I'd just like to ask, what makes you feel that way and why you are focusing on McGhee rather than the poor performances on the park. Also, again, McGhee is the manager and obviously he is going to carry the can first and foremost if we don't pick up our game but, there's been very little comment on what Leitch's role is in all this. He is a Motherwell man, he probably has a lot of daily contact with the players, yet he seems to be getting no criticism whatsoever from the majority of Motherwell fans. I'm just not sure how you think Motherwell have been going downhill since last Christmas given that we got into Europe last season. I know I'm not directly quoting you above but what you said was he has misjudged the leadership of the team from this point last year, what is it you mean when you say this?

I'm just not clear on what you mean by that and I'd be interested to know more.