St Mirren Away, League Cup 1/4 Final

steelboy

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely gank. It's been a long time since I've saw a Motherwell team that had 14 god awful performances within it. In fact make that 15, cause Jim Gannon had an absolute nightmare. This is the kinda stuff I expected pre season with the collection lower league English , players from our under 19's and those left from the Fir Park summer fire sale that Gannon cobbled together, although it disnae make tonights result any easier !!!! The early games had given us some promise, but let's be honest, tonights result has been on the cards for weeks. We were fortunate against Caley, Falkirk, Celtic and on Saturday, when we've got the breaks, but now is the time to call an egg an egg. Keep trying to play football in your own half (and at times penalty box) will not be rewarded with a top six finish or anything like it. Tonight, we could argue about the rights and wrongs of the starting line up, but, the way Gannon tinkered with it defied logic. The three players with any kind of pace, and therefore a degree of threat (all be it minimal !!) were eventually withdrawn in a cup tie that was slipping away from the first 15 minutes.

time to get rid of craigan me thinks

Might need a tin hat for that statement. For my tuppence worth, I've only seen 5 games this season but I tend to be a bit worried when Craigan is in the starting line-up as it doesn't seem to work when he is. I think its important that Hammell is fit and we don't have to shift someone out to replace him.

I like Craigan

Absolutely gank. It's been a long time since I've saw a Motherwell team that had 14 god awful performances within it. In fact make that 15, cause Jim Gannon had an absolute nightmare. This is the kinda stuff I expected pre season with the collection lower league English , players from our under 19's and those left from the Fir Park summer fire sale that Gannon cobbled together, although it disnae make tonights result any easier !!!! The early games had given us some promise, but let's be honest, tonights result has been on the cards for weeks. We were fortunate against Caley, Falkirk, Celtic and on Saturday, when we've got the breaks, but now is the time to call an egg an egg. Keep trying to play football in your own half (and at times penalty box) will not be rewarded with a top six finish or anything like it. Tonight, we could argue about the rights and wrongs of the starting line up, but, the way Gannon tinkered with it defied logic. The three players with any kind of pace, and therefore a degree of threat (all be it minimal !!) were eventually withdrawn in a cup tie that was slipping away from the first 15 minutes.

I would say so too.

As an aside, I like Craigan. Great guy, great ambassador, but the backline has been performing miracles without him. Cleansheets left, right and centre. He plays and bingo! 6 goals conceded in 2 games. I get the feeling that when everyone is fit the bench is the best he can hope for.

Just back from the game and to be honest we deserved nothing. We didn't appear to have learned anything from Saturday's performance and we got what we deserved, feck all.

We seem to find it difficult against teams with big forwards and to be fair to St.Mirren they also put in some good crosses which we failed to deal with.

On the night the quality of the ball into the box from us was sadly lacking. In saying that if big Lucas had taken his chance early in the second half it may have been different result.

Ah well always next year.

The Club is in no position, with the paper thin squad, to get rid of anyone, never mind the Club Captain. To me it looked like three OG's/deflections, surely we don't start childishly blame defenders for getting the "last touch"? Also you've got to give St. Mirren some credit for putting dangerous crosses in loading pressure on our back lot, something we painfully failed to achieve.

Where do I bloody start.

I am very very disappointed in that performance tonight and for me one man got it all wrong. Gannon tonight changed the shape of the team to a bizarre formation. Was a definate 5-3-1-1. Not good enough going forward at all. No dig in midfield and the less said about Craggs tonight the better, although in his defence he wasnt the worse player, step forward Giles Coke, totally lack lustre uninterested performance. Was it to wet for you son.

Why was Reynolds man-marking 36year old Alan Johnston.

We made a very average team look decent, our passing was diabolical, our movement was awful and it looked like we had never played together as a team. Only pass mark for me tonight was Hutchison.

St Mirren had 3 shots on goal and scored three chances. Ruddy had no real saves to make.

In saying all this we had a clear cut chance at 1-0 to draw even and was a bad miss from the Duke when through 1 on 1 with the goalie.

What a wasted oppurtunity for a cup semi final.... diddy cup or not this was a real chance wasted....

I know that we lost three goals tonight and that the defence has taken a lot of stick for tonights performance but what about the fact that there was no goals scored, no-one stood up to be counted and put the ball in the back of the net!

Yes, we need to be keeping a clean sheet to win but we also need to score tgoals as well!

Why was Reynolds man-marking 36year old Alan Johnston?

Exactly, I couldn't believe that one myself. Our midfield was fuckin' non existent and to lose 6 goals against that shite in the space of three days is truly shocking. Mehmet and Higdon bossed our defence and they are arguably the worst pair of strikers I have ever seen*

Not good enough tonight and as someone said earlier, it had been coming given our performances over the last few weeks.

*maybe a slight over exaggeration there :lol:

why do we persist with murphy no imagination reynolds the only place for him to play centre of defence the french left back first game against rangers excellent but since then rank rotten did gannon drop forbes or rest him i think jennings should now be given a run and for gannon to take off o brien when ross is on a yellow card for st mirren is beyond me gannon learned nothing from saturday roll on the hearts game get right in about them from the start and they wont want to know

So why do we bother?

It's like anything you find your level and as a fan you find a team to support. Sometimes the team you support is average, there is nothing you can do about that but stick by your team. Either that or you just pack it in, cause there is no way I would support any other side.

I have accepted that the team I support (I blame my dad!) will always be up and down. You just need to saviour the good times as they don't come along too often.

why do we persist with murphy no imagination reynolds the only place for him to play centre of defence the french left back first game against rangers excellent but since then rank rotten did gannon drop forbes or rest him i think jennings should now be given a run and for gannon to take off o brien when ross is on a yellow card for st mirren is beyond me gannon learned nothing from saturday roll on the hearts game get right in about them from the start and they wont want to know

A full stop or period (.) (sometimes stop, full point, or dot) is the punctuation mark commonly placed at the end of several different types of sentences in English and many other languages. A full stop consists of a small dot placed at the end of a line of text, such as at the end of a sentence.

For more information on full stops, please consult this wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_stop

Glad to be of assistance.

As soon as I saw the excellent numbers that had travelled through I thought, oh shit!!

From the first 20mins it looked like only one team was going to win, they did their homework and put in a real shift in closing us down at every opportunity knackering out passing game, and they were also able to take their chances when they came.

What the fuck is Saunders and Yass all about on the right Saunders saunters up to Yass waits until he is marked and tries to pass the ball to him and guess what loses the ball. Happened so many feckin times it was murder to watch. Jim, Yass is not a right midfielder get him back at right back. Rest of them didn't get their finger out until the second half and even then it was piss poor.

Positives - good to see big Hutch back, got to be him and Saunders at central defense IMO, Big Juke up front put a shift in as well and, if only he had scored it might have been a different result but I somehow doubt it.

Stephen Craigen - top man, but I absolutely shat myself every time he was anywhere near the ball tonight, opposed to being a steadying influence in the team, it pains me to say, he was a total liability tonight.

i cant beleive all you people who are getting on gannons back hes made one mistake fair enough its cost us the game but shit happens!! 1 defeat from nine only a few points of the h*ns still got another cup to look forward too id say theres more to be positive about than negative so tonights over lets forget about it and get right behind the boys on saturday while we hopefully pump the junkie scum

it could be worse imagine being a h*n just now hehe

MON THE WELL!!!!!!

Bizarre formation to start the game, no idea what the game plan was.

They got in our faces and stopped us from passing the ball, first 45 was worst we have played all season. 2nd half was slightly better with the introduction of McHugh upfront brightening up things a little.

Pass marks for Hutchison and McHugh.

Giles Coke once again does not impress me. Keith Lasley please.

Absolutely no spark of life in the team tonight or on Saturday in the first half.

Concerned by the total lack of interaction between the players as they warmed up before each game. Is something rotten in the state of Denmark?

Not to begin conspiracy theories but I wonder if the lack of games of some of the established players McGarry, Laslay, Craigan is causing friction and hence a divide in the team. Have noticed during warm ups etc that these three tend to stick together. Adding Gannon's comments at the weekend into the mix and 2 + 2 definetly=5

Total speculation so could be miles off the mark.

Oh and the Twin Towers were taken down by the American government!