St Mirren Away, League Cup 1/4 Final

steelboy

We got exactly what we deserved tonight and St.Mirren thoroughly deserved their win. We were second to every ball and didn't compete in the middle of the park where we looked slow and disjointed and we never looked like scoring apart from the chance early in the second half. Let's be honest, that result's been coming for a long time now. We are capable of playing some decent stuff but there is no end product to it as we have no creativity, no midfield and no one to hold the ball up in the final third and that's why we will struggle this season. We cannot rely on Ross Forbes to score penalties or spectacular goals to get out of jail every week and he himself badly needs some support in the midfield as he has looked out of his depth in recent weeks, likewise with Giles Coke.

And don't even get me started on Craigan and his distribution.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pish, what a waste of money. Not worth singling out any one player i dont think as Hutchinson aside, everybody was as bad as the other. I know he scored two goals on Saturday but how Jutkiewicz gets a game il never know, how can a guy his size be so hopeless at holding the ball up and heading it. We are crying out for a decent forward, what i wouldnt give for Clarkson, Porter or even Sheridan back. :( Oh, as for the bunch of wee dicks calling those leaving after the third goal "Part time supporters", get a fucking grip.

Pish, what a waste of money. Not worth singling out any one player i dont think as Hutchinson aside, everybody was as bad as the other. I know he scored two goals on Saturday but how Jutkiewicz gets a game il never know, how can a guy his size be so hopeless at holding the ball up and heading it. We are crying out for a decent forward, what i wouldnt give for Clarkson, Porter or even Sheridan back. :( Oh, as for the bunch of wee dicks calling those leaving after the third goal "Part time supporters", get a fucking grip.

Why leave after the 3rd goal then you moron? We pay money week in week out to support our team.

We did not play well tonight and I am not disguising that but what reflection does that have on the team that the fans arent there to give them support when the morale is low?

Just try to think of a worse way I could have spent my tuesday night and I'm really struggling. Pass marks only to Hutchinson for me, Jutkiewicz and McHugh were good for whatever minimal service they did ever see. We got exactly what we deserved if you ask me, we were lacklustre everywhere.

Those who know me know I am Craigan's biggest fan but tonight I don't think he had one redeeming touch or moment. At the start of the game the players looked as if they knew as well as I did what formation we were playing. From where I was sitting it looked like we were playing a keeper, a left back, three centre halfs, a right midfielder, three centre mids, two wingers and a striker. We got a bit more shape in the second half but even still. Mouatoukil's pace and positioning are good but his use of the ball is woeful. Jutkiewicz wasn't too bad but he always seems to gamble on the ball going over the top.

Also missed the build up to the first goal due to an amass of 12-14 year olds standing up in front of me, could have been a blessing. As for leaving before the end, everyone pays their money and is entitled to leave when they like, but if you leave you must expect a bit of stick and if a couple of folk calling you a part time supporter offends you, then you need to take a really good look at yourself!

Absolutely no spark of life in the team tonight or on Saturday in the first half.

Concerned by the total lack of interaction between the players as they warmed up before each game. Is something rotten in the state of Denmark?

Certainly it did not look a team tonight that were prepared to fight for each other. It was evident from the get go who was the team more up for it.

Some stuff on P&B from a Buddy fan about another supposed bust up between Gannon and Craigan after the match.

Comments about players distracting other players sounds a little strange but there is no smoke without fire. Hopefully we can get back to winning ways, but any more performances like tonight and we will be heading down the league fast :(

Why leave after the 3rd goal then you moron? We pay money week in week out to support our team.

We did not play well tonight and I am not disguising that but what reflection does that have on the team that the fans arent there to give them support when the morale is low?

I didnt leave after the third goal, but those who did paid their money and were quite entitled to leave when they saw fit, the game was as good as over anyway. Your saying about fans backing the team but why back the team then give stick like that to your fellow fans?

I share others's concerns about the comments after Saturday's match about a player distracting the rest of the squad. And don't really know what to make of it. How does one player "distract" the rest of the squad?

Team spirit not being great is not what we need given the lack of experience in the side...

I didnt leave after the third goal, but those who did paid their money and were quite entitled to leave when they saw fit,

We left with about 15 minutes to go (at 2-0) so we could make the 9.24pm train. Best decision we made all night.

Och calm doon, I left after the 3rd goal because I couldn't be arsed with that absolute pish served up the night.

If you want to stay then stay, if you want to go then go. What were the team gonnae do, play worse??

what a joke tonight was with the tickets

What was the script with that? Did folk get turned away? They made an arse of ours, the three of us put our money together to buy the tickets together so they would be next to each other, we got three tickets all over the row, clearly sequential numbering is something that is not understood in Paisley. :(

As for leaving before the end, everyone pays their money and is entitled to leave when they like, but if you leave you must expect a bit of stick and if a couple of folk calling you a part time supporter offends you, then you need to take a really good look at yourself!

Why? Getting stuffed 3-0 away to St Mirren in the League Cup on a cold, wet Tuesday night. I left as soon as the third went in. Ive been going since I was 4, so its been 18 years going to see Motherwell. It fuckin hurts seeing them getting a doing like that. The money doesnt bother me, if it did I wouldnt go. I have got every right to walk out after watching that.

At the end of the day, you stayed, good for you :(

Really poor stuff tonight. Couldnt work out formation we were meant to be playing first half. I hope Hammell is back for saturday so we can move Reynolds back to central defence. Craigan was woeful tonight and i will be surprised if he plays against Hearts. I would like to see Lasley back in the team on saturday but i doubt he will be.

I'll be honest with you mate, I don't give two fucks what time you left at. You are a paying fan and you are entitled to stay for however long you like, the point I was making is that if you are offended by a couple of weans calling you a part-time supporter, you must be rather easily offended. And for the record I did stay till the end, I'm glad you're pleased for me! :(

Fair play to you for staying really admit that. I wasnt offended, at the end of the day I was going to games before they were an itch in their dads pants.

Its a split opinion but I bet you more supporters left than stayed to watch that. St Mirren never had to do much for a win tonight. And thats why people left.

Ended up sitting in the Main Stand with the feral's..

Most disappointing aspect was we didnt learn a thing from Saturday. Agree with the earlier comments that we've been due a doing...Its been on the cards and hopefully its the rocket the team need.

Where to start?

I think the shape of the team was wrong. Reynolds and Maouatakil were far too ofensive and every time St Mirren got the ball all they had to do was drop it into the last twenty yards of the pitch within ten yards of the shyline and they were getting a free cross into the box. For all St Mirren are an ordinary SPL team they are quick and allowing them to do that was in my view criminal and we sacrificed ourselves by not having any full backs.

As for the performance, like Saturday, you could see Gannon was willing for us to concede territory as long as we had possession. Biggest problem with that is we are not good enough to keep possession. It worked to an extent against some teams (e.g. Rangers) because they allow you to play with it in your own half and then harry you when you get into theirs. St Mirren didn't allow us that luxury and as such our team became compact and deep and there was no out ball. This meant they had the majority of the game.

The thing that made that frustrating was that when we did get up and around their boxwe actually looked to carry more of a threat than we have done for a while. Whilst never getting right in behind we played some lovely passing stuff round their box. There was one move that ended with Coke having a drive that went out for a corner that was particularly good.

As for the defending I don't think on the whole it was that bad. There were some errors but only one of them really cost us a goal. That was the failure to mark Higdon for the first goal. Ruddy also made what looked like a good save and was a little unfortunate (on the one viewing I have had that it spun in). The second goal was a huge deflected cross and the third was an own goal that only happened because the defence were rushing back after being caught up the pitch. Pretty sure that would not have happened at 0-0.

I think what Gannon needs to decide is how to shape his defence. I think we need people at full back as attacking the central defence was too easy tonight - though I understand that he maybe wanted to go more attacking with them so as not to expose Reynolds to Murray the way it happened on Saturday. I really feel the shape of the team does not feel so comfortable to the players without Hammell.

I thought Hutchinson had a great game tonight and was probably the only 'Well player who really didn't deserve to be on the losing team.

Overall I have no qualms that St Mirren deserved to win the game but I thought 3-0 flattered them a bit.

Worst in a long time!! Struggling to find any positives in terms of the way we were setup and the guys who 'attempted' to do the job on the park.

Heard some amount of nonsense being spouted on our bus home that would make you think we were a club in crisis though.

Lets face it we have had many dissapointments in the past and only a few months ago this board was full of chat about being relegated.

We'll lose again this season, maybe even to teams worse than St Mirren, full confidence in the manager and his team to bounce back from what was a pathetic showing.

Wasnt there, or heard the game or anything but here we go :thumbup:

If it was a deflected cross as I've heard, he would probably get pelters if he left it and they scored anyway. He did his best, get off his back.

And the 'fishal says 3-4-3 formation, is that right? Just unusual for us.

Well lucky you. if you had been you would know that it was nothing to do with the og.

I have no ill feeling toward Craggs but I think media work might just be right up his street now :nod: