St Mirren Away, League Cup 1/4 Final

steelboy

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Reynolds was shocking, never a left back. The space he had was unbelievable - something that would have suited Hammell if he was fit & O'brien perfectly to link up down that left side. I was shouting at the team to switch it to the left before getting so angry that Reynolds didnt both to make himself known and was quite happy to let the game on saturday pass him by. I cant understand the decision by JG to have Reynolds mark someone who i had never even heard of - players like mcgeady who can cause you problems i agree with marking them - but Allan Johnstone? WTF was that about?!?

Anyway - onwards and upwards eh :D

Reynolds didn't look as if he was playing left back on Tuesday night, any time he did get forward he left room tracking back, but most of the game he just played in the same position he normally does at centre half- giving us four centre halfs! I'd like to see what a neutral would have thought about the game, as I thought it was woeful but that was maybe just from my perspective. I am a huge Craigan fan, but he was woeful the other night, but to pin the defeat on him and him only is ridiculous. The only 'well player who could go out with their head held high is Hutchinson, in my opinion he should be first pick of all the centre halfs.

losing 6 goals to St Mirren in the space of 4 days has me rather alarmed.

I'd like to think we are better than that.

You are not the only one. I can assure you however we were as bad as that on Tuesday night. We have done a hell of a lot better than I or most Well fans thought we would so far this season, but in all honesty apart from periods against Rangers and the Killie game we have been fortunate - the Falkirk game being a case in point. 1-0 - 3 points - all hunky dory - but our second half performance that day was akin to Tuesday night. If Falkirk had been anyone other than Falkirk - we would have been lucky to get a point.

Saturday and the month of Nov should tell us exactly where we are. 3 home games against our rivals for top 6 - Hearts, Aberdeen, DDee UTd and an away game to our near neighbours. 7 or 9+ points required for Euro/top 6 push. 2,3,4 points and I think we will end up in bottom six.

Only my opinion mind.

Agree with that. I just thought the formation was all wrong on tuesday night. That and Craigan having arguably his worst game EVER in a Motherwell strip he really took PISH to another level but he wasn't alone. A marvellous support on a dreich tuesday night deserved better than that dross. Im glad i waited 2 days to calm down before i posted. :blink: .

Whist all the discussions are about the performance against the buddies I'm starting to become concerned with the lack of fight in this team we are to easily bullied by more physical sides (all of the other sides should we end up in the bottom 6). The last time we were in that situation (under Malpas) we were very lucky that Doris could not catch a cold in Inverness or we would have been stuck in the lower leagues if not worse.

I think it depends if it really is lack of fight, or just a refusal to panic. JG has said on a number of occasions that he is trying to introduce a framework (based on passing) that lets the players express themselves. He has also said how he wants his players to stick to that, and keep playing football to try and create chances.

There is a danger that when you start taking digs back at the opposition you lose your discipline and shape - which is exactly what they want.

I know he put in that OG but the level of critisism for Craigan here's ridiculous, I think the fact we've shipped 6 in 2 games is more to the absense of Hammell than the presence of Craigan.

Maybe he's not at fault for all 6 of them but he definitely was at fault for the first on Saturday! He didn't have a clue what he was doing.

Bombscare central with the guy.

We have done a hell of a lot better than I or most Well fans thought we would so far this season, but

Only my opinion mind.

But nothing, only my opinion as well but stopping your sentence there is enough for me. Gannon has taken us this far and expectations to go further have been raised through that. Time to take a look back to where we were and be thankful rather than demand we keep on raising the bar higher and higher. Don't always get what you want in life but at least we have a side that's better than expected.

But nothing, only my opinion as well but stopping your sentence there is enough for me. Gannon has taken us this far and expectations to go further have been raised through that. Time to take a look back to where we were and be thankful rather than demand we keep on raising the bar higher and higher. Don't always get what you want in life but at least we have a side that's better than expected.

Don't disagree at all fatcalf.

But it is the nature of football fans, indeed human nature in general to expect a level of performance when you know a person or team are capapble of it.

Frustration is all it is. Had we been sitting where Falkirk are, then none of us would have been too surprised by the events on Tuesday night. What disappoints is that we all know the team can perform better than they did.

That said Gannon did say it would be a rollercoaster ride this season. Inconsistency is the by product of a young team. Hell if Real Madrid can lose 4-0 away to a Spanish 3rd division side then we can lose 3-0 away to St Mirren without the need to panic - yet..............

One thing is for sure, even if we won the treble you could put your mortgage on the fact that someone on this here board would be moaning about something :lol:

What pisses me off more than anything is that we have failed to take yet another massive guilt edged opportunity to get back to Hampden! All we had to do was beat a 1st Division Inverness and St Mirren and we were there. Every year we go out the cup competitions with a whimper to teams that are at best, our equals, it's beyond a joke