First Well Game?

dazamfc

Some great memories on here.

Can't remember my first actual game as the memory cells are getting old but one of my earliest memories was going to see us play away at Cowdenbeath in the Scottish Cup in about 75/76 season.

I was about 8yrs old and can remember being amazed at the size of our support. We seemed to take over the whole ground. It had something like a speedway or greyhound track round the pitch and i can remember watching the game sitting on the wall at the front with my legs hanging over the wall.

We won and had Hibs in the next round and took a couple of replays to beat them.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..one of my earliest memories was going to see us play away at Cowdenbeath in the Scottish Cup in about 75/76 season.

I was about 8yrs old and can remember being amazed at the size of our support. We seemed to take over the whole ground. It had something like a speedway or greyhound track round the pitch

U sure it was Cowdenbeath ?

I was a student in Edinburgh at the time and remember travelling to a cup game but I thought it was at Stenhousemuir. I rememember we had a big support and their ground was crumbling to pieces but they put up a fight and we won 3-2

Mines was against Dundee United at Fir Park in 1998. Wasn't sure of that for a while, but checked that statistic thing on the club website and found the details :D

30.09.98, kick-off 18.05. We won 1-0, Kai Nyyssonen scored just before half-time.

Motherwell Team :

Mikko Kaven

Stephen McMillan

Shaun Teale

Michael Doesburg

Jamie McGowan

Simo Valakari

Brian McClair

Rob Matthaei

Ian Ross

Owen Coyle

Kai Nyyssonen

This is very precise :lol:

Brian McClair in 1998 ?

U sure it was Cowdenbeath ?

I was a student in Edinburgh at the time and remember travelling to a cup game but I thought it was at Stenhousemuir. I rememember we had a big support and their ground was crumbling to pieces but they put up a fight and we won 3-2

The Cowdenbeath game was 1976. For some reason we took the whole town over and ran out 2 - 0 winners. I remember Marinello having a stormer that day.

15th February 1997.

Motherwell 1 (Coyle 34)

Hamilton Accies 1 (Clark 69)

Motherwell: Howie, May McMillan, (McSkimming), Van Der Gaag, Martin, Denham, (Ross), Burns, Davies, Coyne, Falconer, Coyle.

IIRC Jose Quitongo ripped every member of our team a new arsehole that day.

April 24th 1982

Scottish First Division

Motherwell 0 Clydebank 0

That point was enough to clinch that championship and a return to the Premier League after a three year absense. Not a bad debut, despite the lack of goals!!!

Mine was Vs Dundee UTD at home in 1993 i think, we won 2-1 I would have been around 7yrs old sitting in the family stand, Malpas was playing for united and I can remember the terracing where the cooper stand is now.

Also remember of that season, possibly the last game of the season was against st johnstone 9was billy dodds playing for them?) and one of our fans over in the terracing was dressed as Mr Blobby, anyone care to identify themselves? Ide love to know coz that always sticks in my mind. I feel an 'Im Spartacus' moment coming

Bloody hell, next year I'll be into my sixth decade watching Motherwell.

Shite never thought of that me too, howver to prove I am younger I never saw them during the whole of the 60's only the last couple of years ^_^

Also remember of that season, possibly the last game of the season was against st johnstone 9was billy dodds playing for them?) and one of our fans over in the terracing was dressed as Mr Blobby, anyone care to identify themselves? Ide love to know coz that always sticks in my mind. I feel an 'Im Spartacus' moment coming

:lol: I remember that game aswell. I'm pretty sure that was the last game with the terracing behind the goals before the Cooper stand got built. I usually sat in the East Stand but my Dad took us behind the goals that day.

My first game was early 1991 (around January or February) against Hearts and we lost 3-1. It was only a couple of months after my 4th birthday. No idea of who played that day or the scorers, will need to check that out.

Now approaching 20 years as a 'Well fan. Doesn't time fly when you're having fun....... ^_^