Well V Jam Tarts Match Thread

Welldaft Mk1

Unless I am blind there does not seem to be a match thread on Saturday's game.

Watched the CIS cup game and was hoping for xtra time for obvious reasons. Celtic could and probably should have scored 4 or 5 tonight but that does not detract from the fact that Hearts looked a decent team. More importantly they looked up for it, were big and physical and harried Celtic around the pitch. Exactly the type of team we struggle against. Dare I say a better St Mirren on tonights evidence :P In Goncalves they have easily one of the best defenders in the league and Dorman is a poor mans Andy Driver.

Hopefully Hammell is fit for the game. I would be tempted to drop Craigan and even Coke from last night's starting 11.

We need a HUGE improvement from last night if we are to take anything from this game.

As much as I would love 6 points from the next two games I would take 4 points. We certainly need to start picking up 3 points once more.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will take any sort of win on Saturday, doesnt matter how and by which means but i'll take it after last nights result. Never usually put a team up but I'll put one up this time.

Ruddy

Saunders Hutchinson Reynolds Hammell

Humphrey Jennings Forbes O'Brien

Sutton McHugh

Dont see McHugh starting but after his second half performance compared to Murphy's first half and Jutkiewicz's 90 minute "performances" I think hes earned it.

Another tough game. A return to a back four is surely a must.

What about the midfiled and attack though? I'd be fair tempted to try a 4-4-2 with Humphrey and O'Brien out wide and have a real go. A bit more attacking threat and try to play the match in Hearts' half of the pitch.

Although a return to the 4-2-3-1 and a safety first approach also has merits. Stick Hateley and A.N Other in midfield,keep it tight and attempt to conjure a goal from somewhere(set-pieces the most likely).

I'll sit on the fence and predict a 0-0.

Ruddy

Sutton McHugh

Spot on WellArmy. I have the fear for this game as Hearts looked fairly good against Celtic. In saying that they are in the wrong half of the table due to their inability to score goals. 1-0 Well.

Ruddy

Sutton McHugh

Spot on WellArmy. I have the fear for this game as Hearts looked fairly good against Celtic. In saying that they are in the wrong half of the table due to their inability to score goals. 1-0 Well.

Moutaouakil has to be in, Only plays bad when he is not full back. And lucas for me has to be in. We cant judge the team and rip it to shreds on one bad night.

For me:

Ruddy

Moutaouakil - Hutchinson - Saunders - Hammell

Humphrey - Forbes - Coke - O'brien

McHugh - Jutkiewicz

Here's what I'd start...

Ruddy

Saunders

Hutchy

Reynolds

Hammell

Hately

Lasley

Jennings

O'Brien

Sutton

Murphy

Gannon will probably go with something different; he seems hell bent on playing his own signings or youth players. Fuck knows how Lucas gets a game ahead of Sutton.

As for the result? We seem to raise our game for the bigger games, so I'm hopeful of a point. But I reckon we'll get beat 2-0.

Hope not though!

I'd send Yas out wi some loctite and tell him to glue himself to Driver.

With Hutch, The Colonel and Reynolds all fit - Gannon has a decision to make at the back. I'd mibbez play Reynolds with Hutch in the centre.

Ruddy

Yas, Hutch, Reynolds, Hamster

Hateley, Coke, Forbes, O'Brien

Juke, Sutton

I would drop Yassil and Coke for thsi game to be honest. Bothwere very poor on Saturday. Didn't go to the game on Tuesday but heard they weren't the best again. Would also drop Craggs for this one. This would be my team:

Ruddy

Hateley

Hammell

Reynolds

Saunders

Jennings

Lasley

Forbes

Humphrey

O'Brien

Lukas

No idea what the score will be!

Interesting to note that no two teams are rarely ever the same in these threads. Now we know what a problem Gannon has.............

In truth Coke merits a bit of time on the bench judging by his last 2-3 displays but he is likely to start given we and Gannon know what he is capable off on his day. Must be a bit disheartening for the likes of Lasley and Jennings? Jennings looked good against Rangers and this may be the type of game to give him a start if not 20-30 mins of game time.

As for Jukebox. Cannot understand the criticism. Admittedly his first touch is reminiscent of Clarkson at times but I thought he did ok on Tuesday night considering he had little or no support and in the last 10-15 mins he was easily our best player. That and the fact he scored 2 goals in his last league game make him a starter in my eyes.

I would go with:

Ruddy

Yas, Hutch, Reynolds, Hammell

Hateley, Coke, Forbes, O'Brien

Juke, McHugh

Unlikely he will opt for 4-4-2, therefore drop McHugh and insert Humphries into right midfield with Hateley playing in front of the back 4. We need to keep it tight and hope we can get a goal. If we win it will be narrowly 1-0 or 2-1.

If Hearts play like they did last night I will be surprised if we get anything however I don't think they will play as well again. I think our defenders look most comfortable with a flat back four so I would go with that. I would be inclined to go two up this time however I suspect JG won't. My team would be:

Ruddy

Humphrey Hately Forbes O'Brien

McHugh Jutkiewitz

All of a sudden I think we'll be doing well to get anything out of this game!!

Not sure what my team would be but I'd like to see a 4-4-2 with Lasley and/or Jennings starting. Hopefully Hammell will be back also.

A win would be great, but I'd settle for a decent cohesive performance and a point.

Ruddy

Moutouakil,Hutchinson,Reynolds,Hammell

Hateley

O`Brien,Coke,Forbes

Murphy,Sutton

4 points from the next 2 games would see us finishing 5th after the first round of fixtures and getting back to something resembling form, however, worried about Hearts physical threat and the fact Nade couldnt score in a bucket of fannies (a sure sign he will score on sat!) added to the likelihood of Gannon playing Murphy wide + Lukas up front :( means it could be a long afternoon

Heart says 2-1 Well

Head says 2-0 Hearts

apart from maybe mcgarry playing in goals i don't think gannon can do anything that would suprise any more with his team selections.

ruddy

yas hutch reynolds hammell

humphrey lasley hateley o'brien

juke mchugh

big yas hasn't been playing well but he is a good defender and his pace will be an asset against driver.

Here's what I'd start...

Ruddy

Saunders

Hutchy

Reynolds

Hammell

Hately

Lasley

Jennings

O'Brien

Sutton

Murphy

Gannon will probably go with something different; he seems hell bent on playing his own signings or youth players. Fuck knows how Lucas gets a game ahead of Sutton.

As for the result? We seem to raise our game for the bigger games, so I'm hopeful of a point. But I reckon we'll get beat 2-0.

Hope not though!

Couldn't agree more. Two goals on Saturday doesn't convince me. Admittedly his first was a good finish but look at his second. A fresh air shot, chest, then a shot. Against a better defence that would never have been allowed to happen. Had a great chance to bring us back into the game on Tuesday and chose poorly. A this time he would be behind Sutton and McHugh for me.

Re: Why Does Lukas start?

Jesus, a very good performance at Parkhead. Bearing in mind that the lone-striker role is possibly the hardest role in football (bar perhaps goalkeeping). He played there fantastically that day, and if it weren't for the exploits of Hateley then it would be he that ran away with the MotM poll on here. He held the ball up very well, and many an occasion he won a throw in/corner when chasing down Naylor/Wilson. On many an occasion he had no right to win anything, very good work rate. He took a tumble on occasion and won us free-kicks and as a result relieved the pressure on the back 5. All very vital aspects of being given this role to play up top himself. Was unlucky on a couple of occasions with a few shots, and again unlucky not to have won us a vital penalty when hauled down by Caldwell.

Then moving on to last Saturday's match:

Scored the two vital goals to bring us a point back home. His overall play was very good, brought the wingers into the game, held the ball up very well. Ran Potter ragged, and had the beating of him every single time. Was extremely unlucky not to grab a 3rd when he turned and shot at the near post which Gallacher done well to turn over the bar. He for a loanee seemed very up for it and gave his all. Again a game whcih Lukas ran away with the MotM poll.

It strikes me that the people that are slating Lukas and failing to see what he contributes, are probably the same people that found criticism in Porter and failed to see what he actually gave to us as a team. It's off-the-ball that Lukas and Ports are both in there element, both are extremely good at dragging defenders away from there respective zone, and as such leaves space for other people to take the limelight e.g. Forbes/O'Brien. It's the unglamorous side to the lone-striker but it's a role that both said players do extremely well. Sutton may be more of a goalscorer, and he does do a good job of chasing down and tracking back. But, the tactical side of the game is where Lukas is in his element and his intelligent runs are key and that seems to be missed by the critics on here.

One poor game and one poor miss midweek does not mean he should be dropped entirely. He seems to finally have a bit of confidence about him at last, worst thing we can do is knock that back down by dropping him. I am sure Gannon will know that as well.

And taking away our Europa League exploits, he is our top goalscorer this season from open play.

Lukas to start and hopefully have another playing far closer to him, and as such making his job slightly easier at bringing others into the game.

Lukas to start and hopefully have another playing far closer to him, and as such making his job slightly easier at bringing others into the game.

I think that's the key. Playing 4-5-1 successfully (or whatever variant you choose) is heavily dependent on the midfield being in close support when we attack. A lone striker can only hold the ball for so long before he needs to pass.

Jesus, a very good performance at Parkhead. Bearing in mind that the lone-striker role is possibly the hardest role in football (bar perhaps goalkeeping). He played there fantastically that day, and if it weren't for the exploits of Hateley then it would be he that ran away with the MotM poll on here. He held the ball up very well, and many an occasion he won a throw in/corner when chasing down Naylor/Wilson. On many an occasion he had no right to win anything, very good work rate. He took a tumble on occasion and won us free-kicks and as a result relieved the pressure on the back 5. All very vital aspects of being given this role to play up top himself. Was unlucky on a couple of occasions with a few shots, and again unlucky not to have won us a vital penalty when hauled down by Caldwell.

Then moving on to last Saturday's match:

Scored the two vital goals to bring us a point back home. His overall play was very good, brought the wingers into the game, held the ball up very well. Ran Potter ragged, and had the beating of him every single time. Was extremely unlucky not to grab a 3rd when he turned and shot at the near post which Gallacher done well to turn over the bar. He for a loanee seemed very up for it and gave his all. Again a game whcih Lukas ran away with the MotM poll.

It strikes me that the people that are slating Lukas and failing to see what he contributes, are probably the same people that found criticism in Porter and failed to see what he actually gave to us as a team. It's off-the-ball that Lukas and Ports are both in there element, both are extremely good at dragging defenders away from there respective zone, and as such leaves space for other people to take the limelight e.g. Forbes/O'Brien. It's the unglamorous side to the lone-striker but it's a role that both said players do extremely well. Sutton may be more of a goalscorer, and he does do a good job of chasing down and tracking back. But, the tactical side of the game is where Lukas is in his element and his intelligent runs are key and that seems to be missed by the critics on here.

One poor game and one poor miss midweek does not mean he should be dropped entirely. He seems to finally have a bit of confidence about him at last, worst thing we can do is knock that back down by dropping him. I am sure Gannon will know that as well.

And taking away our Europa League exploits, he is our top goalscorer this season from open play.

I'll second that whole post. IMHO he is maybe a slightly poorer Porter, but is a better Sutton. He was unlucky with the shot on Tuesday night. It was actually a good save by Gallacher. I think like Ports he has started slowly, but is now starting to show evidence and signs that he could deliver on a regular basis.

I think the chance on Tuesday was much tougher than people give it credit for. It was bouncing and movig sharply, Gallacher was alert to it and he could only have one touch. However I think he is very guilty of being too far away from anyone else and he does not have the pace nor the touch to play on his own. The goals he scored on Saturday were when we were flooding forward or Sutton was supporting him. However he looks sharp hence I think we should play two up top closer together to let him flourish.

What I think he could improve is, as mentioned, his positioning. Too often he's miles away from everybody else. I also think he could work a little bit harder. One thing I remember Porter being good at was moving the centre halves around for Clarky & Rossco to work in. Another thing which frustrated me on Tuesday night was that he never once faked to run towards the St Mirren goal, then come back and scream for the ball at his feet. Not once did he take a ball into feet from what I can remember. Saunders (who was our ONLY out ball for Ruddy ALL night) continually got the ball, looked up and it was so obvious that there was a big gaping hole for Lucas to run into and demand the ball, but he never & Saunders had to give it to Hately who was quickly closed down and we lost the ball.

I think Sutton is a far superior player. But hey, that's just my opinion!

However I think he is very guilty of being too far away from anyone else and he does not have the pace nor the touch to play on his own.
I see that as the opposite problem i.e the midfield support is too far away from him.

I agree we should keep playing him though. It seems like he is still improving. Unfortunately, with the injury situation at Everton, I think he might improve just enough to get recalled at the end of his loan deal.

I see that as the opposite problem i.e the midfield support is too far away from him.

I agree we should keep playing him though. It seems like he is still improving. Unfortunately, with the injury situation at Everton, I think he might improve just enough to get recalled at the end of his loan deal.

Yes and no. When Sutton played up top on his own against Flamurtari the midfield were right beside him. Granted the opposition was duff but it worked well. But it worked because Sutton has enough in him to track back and win it further back and then progress without the ball. And if that boy plays for Everton I will be astonished.

I know what you mean, but in 4-5-1 the striker shouldn't really be having to track back. What's the point of overloading the midfield if you still need your only outlet up front to keep coming back to help?

Five men (plus support from the full backs) should be more than plenty to get the ball moving from midfield.