Well V Jam Tarts Match Thread

Welldaft Mk1

Much better today than recently if not quite what you'd call brilliant. Perhaps the improvement was down to playing two strikers today. I think the refs haven't been too bad this season but David Somers had a shocker.

John Ruddy - 6 - Not much to do, didn't seem hampered by the injury

Yassin Moutaouakil - 7 - Good match up until the closing stages when gave Driver far too much space.

Steven Saunders - 7 - Excellent at the back except for one slack pass.

Shaun Hutchinson - 7 - Another sound performance at the back.

Mark Reynolds - 7 - Did well at left back but just doesn't have the delivery that Hammell does.

Tom Hateley - 7 - Decent in his usual role.

Giles Coke - 7 - Much better than recent performances

Ross Forbes - 6 - Not at his best today but still made the difference between 1 points and 3.

Jim O'Brien - 7 - Caused Hearts all sorts of problems.

John Sutton - 7 - We looked so much better going forward with Sutton up there.

Lukas Jutkiewicz - 6 - Did reasonably well alongside Sutton than he has done in a lone role.

Keith Lasley - 3 - Not on long but got stuck in, nice reaction by the crowd to his introduction.

Jamie Murphy - 3 - One good run.

Chris Humphrey - 3 - Worked hard and made the runs when we needed them.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy with the result today.

Thoroughly deserved victory and some good stuff played in patches.

I was impressed by the link up and hold up play bye or 2 forwards Sutton and Jukebox. Both had very good games.

Thought our centre of defence looked solid aswell, the youngest professional central defensive pairing in Britain I would say, combined age of less than Davie Weir. Also thought Reynolds had a very good game aswell. In the 2nd half in particular he was striding forward with the ball excellantly.

I think we could ahve scored a few more and apart from a spell just after they had a player sent off we controlled and dominated the game. All in all a good result and a clean sheet. Well done the Well.

P.s. How pish are Hearts. FHW.

Got to be absolutely delighted with a vital 3 points today. And another league clean-sheet. We are now top of that particular table now, six clean sheets in 10 league games, six in the last 8. And we sit fourth, if it's a draw tomorrow we are just three points off second with just one game left of the first third pre-split games. We were always going to get games like during th eweek, it'll happen again this season. Important thing is how you react - we reacted superbly today.

A good result today although I didn't think our performance was that great. I felt we gave away the ball too many times in midfield however we didn't get punished for it as the Hearts midfield was poor.

Good performances by Hutch, Coke, Hateley and O'Brien. Also though Forbes' goal was a cracker.

Last 10-15 minutes was absolute heart in mouth stuff.

Ref was shocking, so many inconsistencies with his decisions.

A fucking brillaint result today. I genuinely believed that we didn't have what it takes to win today, and I thought Hearts would pump us. Delighted that I've been proved wrong and that's a fantastic 3 points. I think Hearts will come good and climb up the table soon, but that's us 6 points away from them than we could've been today! :lol:

good showing today. you wouldn't think the team who played the first half day were the same team as last week. we must have played more long balls in the first half than we've played for the last five games combined and we benefited from mixing it up. the back four were great today, hutchison and saunders have massive potential.

great goal from forbes but he's a frustrating player, he doesn't always shine in general play but he's always worth his place in the team cause he can win matches.

no idea, didnt sound like there were any injuries, just the Hearts sending off

Hearts had Christian Nade stretchered off, which took a few minutes (resulting in a ridiculous stoat-up despite the fact Yass had put the ball out for them, which Hearts hadn't wanted to do themselves), and Yass took a smack in the face not long afer that that held things up again. Plus there were six substitutions.

Hearts had Christian Nade stretchered off, which took a few minutes (resulting in a ridiculous stoat-up despite the fact Yass had put the ball out for them, which Hearts hadn't wanted to do themselves), and Yass took a smack in the face not long afer that that held things up again. Plus there were six substitutions.

it was tom hateley who went down after getting blasted in the ribs with the ball. easy mistake to make though, tom likes a sunbed.

Clean Sheets against Aberdeen,Dundee Utd,Hearts,Rangers + Celtic and undefeated with 9 points from those 5 games, theres not a single Well fan in the world who would have thought that possible in early July! great result today and a win next week in the Derby would see us comfortably 5th, maybe even 4th or 3rd depending on results. OK the St Midden games were poor but with such an inexperienced + young team the job Gannon has done so far is incredible

Delighted with the three points, as someone else has said, the Jambos rank only behind the OF in kudos/pleasure stakes when it comes to taking points of them. Thought Gannon (and he's said as much post-match) mixed it well today, letting the back four go for the long ball to the Duke and Sutton when it was on, but not doing it exclusively a la Malpas.

Was very impressed with our central defensive pairing of Hutch and Saunders, and to be honest think the writings now on the wall for Craggs, Gannon obviously doesn't fancy him and rightly won't tolerate sub-par performances. Thought Hately and Coke were back to their best today, Forbes is kinda frustrating in that his midfield contribution is lacking at times, yet he will score goals and win games, our Kris Boyd? Reynolds did OK at LB but doesn't have Hammels flair going forward, but he did well today. Yass's strong point ain't defense but, hey, we knew that already, didn't make it any easier on the underwear when they were punting it to Driver in the last 10.

A good day at the office, and we're in the top 4 again. Unlike St Mirren or Aberdeen. Tragic.... :lol:

Easily the best Motherwell performance since Rangers game. Lot's of good individual performances, Coke, Sutton, Reynolds and Duke all immense. Sutton and Duke won almost everything in the air, held the ball up well and had some nice wee touches here and there (suttons wee flick to set JOB up for the volley was magnificant). Thought Duke in particular showed a lot of composure on the ball and created space for himself quite a few times.

Not a perfect performance but we played some really really nice football at times. We were able to mix it up quite and play a variety of balls from the back as our two front men looked settled in in control (mostly). Only dissapointing thing about today is the space we gave Hearts when they had a man sent off. For about 20 minutes we looked like the ones with the man down.

It's funny how difficult it is to play against 10 men, noticed that time and time again. It took Hibs until 88 minutes to finally break down Aberdeen today (eventually scoring twice in the last five minutes including injury time) and they had been playing against 9 men for almost half-an-hour (10 for much of the second half).

Gannon definitely got the tactics right today. Two big guys up front and not afraid to play the long ball, mixed in with some decent possession. Thought Jutciewicz was immense against a very strong Hearts central defence. He's improving with every game. Saunders and Hutch were solid all game, and Hateley broke up any of Hearts attacks.

We defended well and awaited the chances to come. The first half was dull but we were knocking on the door. And the chances did come. A wonderful finish from Forbes and a goo shout out to Hutchinson for having the awareness not to go for the header which many (much more experienced) players would have done and a sweet crisp finish. Adding on seven minutes and the red card were the only things the tit in the middle did today that were right. But what impressed me was the way we held the ball during that seven minutes. They only had one foray into our box at that time. Mouatakil still needs to be more aware of the left winger when we not in possession and Ruddy maybe a bit over keen to play short when he has it and when we have the pace of O'Brien and Humphry the long kick is a viable option. All in a good day's work and a professional performance.

Ruddy maybe a bit over keen to play short

Jings, you just reminded of that scare near the end when he rolled out to Saunders (I think).

I'm absolutely amazed we've yet to concede doing that. Absolutely terrifying fitba to watch at times. All part of the fun though. :thumbup: