Well V Jam Tarts Match Thread

Welldaft Mk1

See they only lose to the big teams? :nod:

I thought they were poor against a very poor Celtic side. Apart from last week I think you have been more than reasonable, yes maybe riding your luck sometimes, nothing wrong with that, I'd doubt you will lose, at worst a draw.

1-0 you guys, let's see. :lol:

Can I become your good luck charm? :lol:

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Critic of the game......

Ruddy.

Nothing to do. It's good to hear a goalie that doesn't sound like his voice is breaking.

Hutch. Solid, Had crazy kicking feet first half, everything skift of his big toe but improved 2nd half.

Saunders.

Big crazy legs gets better ever game.

Reynolds.

Man of the match. Playing out of position, had a great game.

Yassin.

Ok.

Relyed on his pace to catch up with Driver too much, afforded him too much space on the left.

But he set up the goal with an excellent left footed cross. (Take note Ross Forbes, a player with 2 feet)

Midfield.

Forbes. Apart from the goal, can't tackle, lazy, doesn't close down, big head.

But he did score the goal.

Coke.

Better 2nd half than 1st. Still not as good as he was earlier in season.

Hateley.

Good steady game again. Good in air despite not being the tallest.

Passing is good.

Jim O'Brian.

Had my doubts when he first joined the 'Well but steadily becoming a stalwart for Motherwell, involved in most of our attacking play today. He must be the most fouled player iin the SPL.

Forwards.

Duke. Another improving every game. A wee moment of magic when he turned one of the farts players on a sixpence.

Sutts.

Underated. won every header, hold up play was great.

Subs did well when they came on, nice cameo by Keith.

Altogether happy with the result, but we cannot play against 10 men. We seem to think that when our opposition go a man down that we should stop playing, we're on easy street if you will. The 10 minutes after the sending off we were dreadful, letting farts attack us from all angles and giving the ball up too easy.

We played better when the assistant ref? put up 7 minutesinjury time. (Totally justified, 6 subs, 2/3 lengthy injuries) but I still felt they could have got a lucky equiliser.

Ref wasted the game in my opinion. Liked the sound of his whistle.

Why Forbes big head?

Thinks he doesn't have run after the ball, doesn't commit (or can't) to a tackle.

Only an opinion, but I'll ultimatly get shot down for it by the Forbes Fan Club.

But as i said, he did score the goal. Only thing he did in the game but it was decicive.

My spellinh is woeful. Apologoses. :nod:

Was out drinking Friday n my gf turned alarm off instead of putting it on snooze.
Separate alarm clocks are one of the keys to a happy relationship. They don't teach you things like that at school.

At least you caught a decent amount of the game.

I know in recent games Coke has come in for some criticism due to his comparitive lack of form. Then I read this on the 'fishul site and was suitably impressed:

Gannon said: “Giles has got much more to offer than I was allowing him, we were playing this Milan formation where our three midfielders were more in the construction phase and allowing other people to attack.
I don't recall any posters coming up with this reason for the problems Giles was having :notworthy:

It just goes to show that fans (and I include myself here) are often pretty clueless about the game at this level of detail. Of course we can see when something goes wrong, but I doubt many of us spotted the attempted Milan formation - far less contemplated the finer points of the 'construction phase'.

I know in recent games Coke has come in for some criticism due to his comparitive lack of form. Then I read this on the 'fishul site and was suitably impressed:

I don't recall any posters coming up with this reason for the problems Giles was having :notworthy:

It just goes to show that fans (and I include myself here) are often pretty clueless about the game at this level of detail. Of course we can see when something goes wrong, but I doubt many of us spotted the attempted Milan formation - far less contemplated the finer points of the 'construction phase'.

Cheers for spotting and posting this. Another good insight into the minds of Gannon the tactician. In fairness to most fans on here, we are aware we are witnessing a new manager mould a new team to play to precise formulae. Hence the transformation from last few seasons. Hibs and St Mirren games showed experiments don't always work. Now we know players like Giles are having to balance their natural game with exacting team formations.

Good on Gannon for not only being an enthusiastic student of the game, but also communicating effectively with the fans.

Just one wee thing - what exactly is the Milan formation and how is it supposed to work? Is Coke the new Pirlo???

A massive 3 points for us and a decent performance with lots to be pleased about. Have to say was worried when Nade went off as they'd replace him with a striker. :notworthy: . Big Hutchie was fab as was Reynolds at left back.(I've been saying it all season to play him there and put Hammell left mid). So all in all well done after whwt was a demoralising defeat on tuesday which i think affected our support who were a bit quiet in the forst half.

Delighted with yesterday on a number of levels. Obviously the win and the clean sheet, but the reaction as a team and of certain individuals to Tuesday's disappointment was very heartening indeed.

We were spot on to mix it up a bit more, but any ariel stuff was guided up to Sutty and Duke rather than a bit punt, so that was positive. We also played some great stuff on the ground again, and it was tremendous to see big Giles getting on the ball and pushing forward too.

Lovely goal from Rossco and thought that 2-0 would've been a fairer reflection, but a win is a win!

Now onto Accies!!

Just one wee thing - what exactly is the Milan formation and how is it supposed to work? Is Coke the new Pirlo???

Your classic Milan formation is a 4-4-2, with the midfield tight, almost diamond-shaped, relying on full backs for width. The midfield would be set up with one holding guy in front of defence (Gattuso or Ambrosini) which would be Hately. The other two midfielders would be tasked with sitting back, and creating, to do this you weed need at least one with a decent range of passing and technique (Pirlo obviously with Seedorf as the other), so these would be Ross Forbes and Coke. The other midfielder would be given more a free reign, and play behind the front two or anywhere required really. In seasons gone by this would be Kaka, now it's Pato, our equivalent would be Jim O'Brien. Finally the front two can be varied, Milan have had success with a target guy (Borriello or Huntelaar) plus poacher (Inzaghi) or fast, nippy, skilful (Pato). We obviously used two target guys yesterday to good effect.

Much improved performance from the last 2 games. Forbes wasn't at his best, but I dont think there was really a player in the team who had a bad game today.

The ref was terrible right enough, although I had no complaints with 7 minutes of injury time.

We were totally dominant with the exception of the 10 minutes after the sending off, just a shame we couldnt score a couple more. However if we win every game from no till the end of the seasn 1-0, we'll be in the champions league. :notworthy:

We had a few crazy moments of our own, a Coke back headed from the middle of the park, Saunders slack pass and Ruddy nearly giving it away. Yaas also needed his baws toed in the last 10 for the space he gave Driver. But we got by. Dissapointed we didnt really go for them when they were down to 10 men.

Really impressed with the job Saunders has been doing at CB, but I've got to say Im looking forward seeing a pairing of Hutch and Reynolds in there when Hammil comes back.

Good to see big Sutton come back into the fold, although I really don't like JOB playing through the middle. I think he is far more effective hugging the touch line and getting the balls swung in, particularly if we are going to start playing with 2 big tall strikers.

All in all it was a good game and performance and always good to get it up the FHW. Mon the 'well!

Oh and OSB was a good read yesterday too!

Absolutely delighted with that result, and by all accounts the performance was a positive one. Many of us on here, myself included, approached yesterday's encounter a tad nervously ............... but what a moral boost for us fans and the players.

Now lets take a large and noisy support across the Clyde next Saturday :woop:

I think that ourselves, hibs and dundee united have now broken away from the other teams and will have our own battle for the european places.
After the Accies game we will have played everybody the league once. Even if all the results go against us, the lowest position we can be is 5th. That's not a bad showing while we are still very much in the early stages of rebuilding.

A massive 3 points for us and a decent performance with lots to be pleased about. Have to say was worried when Nade went off as they'd replace him with a striker. :doh: . Big Hutchie was fab as was Reynolds at left back.(I've been saying it all season to play him there and put Hammell left mid).

Reynolds did pretty well except for one really important aspect of playing at full back - he can't cross for toffee.

We got away with it yesterday because we were playing 4-4-2 (or variant of) but I don't think you could play him there in a 4-3-3.

I think the European games are much more likely to bite come February time. The year we came third under McGhee Hibs were only one point off the lead at this time in the season yet ended up receding an awful lot after the turn of the year.

McGhee's interests in anything other than Motherwell and our club's future were to blame. Made no preparations squad-wise for Europe and it showed. Gannon was just in the process of building a squad and come January will continue this. We'll be fine.