Goals/games That Ruined Your Day.

Wellarmy

I know we're doing a goals most celebrated thread and have stuff from years ago but I thought I'd ask everybody what was one of your most painful moments as a Well fan was.

I know its depressing but had to ask.

A goal or a game that has ruined your Saturday, Tuesday, Wednesday night, wotever night :D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably late 80s early 90s it was a really windy day, playing St Johnstone, Andrew Waddell was the ref, heading for injury time we attempt a clearance ball hits Waddell, wind catches it right into path of Saints player........GAME OVER I'm in a cold sweat with the memory :D

Oof, there's been a few. Against aberdeen at the start of last season sticks in the head as the most recent. Mulgrew scored after we hammered them for 80 mins i think. Think Killie were playing celtic that day. Bought a Well towel that day and was all sorted out with a plastic bag from the shop. Anyway, on the way back to ayrshire the killie fannies thought it would be good to rip my new plastic bag. So i just pished on them and whipped a few.

The CIS Semi against Celtic in 2006 when Maloney scored was a very sore one to take but it still doesn't top Woods' brainstorm against Rangers in the Scottish Cup at Fir Park. Whilst Kaiser was unfortunate with his backpass and had a rush of blood to the head given that there was a man on, Woods had all the time in the world to do whatever the hell he liked with that ball. It wasn't even a pass back, he could have picked it up or blootered it out of the park instead of doing whatever the fuck he was trying to do by passing it out wide and into Durie's path. It ruined what would have been a fantastic day and a superb performance by the rest of the Motherwell team who had more than matched Rangers and had them beaten only for that utter liability to throw it all away like that. It was quite simply a terrible, terrible error by a terrible, terrible goalkeeper. And of course we lost 3-0 in the replay.

Both of those goals were heartbreaking, but the Rangers one was made worse by the way Woods threw it away for us and by the fact that we were winning the game with only a few minutes to go. Against Celtic at Hampden I didn't fancy us in extra time or penalties had it went that far, though it was still a sickener all the same after the way we'd played.

To lose any late goal against the OF is a sore one. I'll throw the last minute Kilmarnock goal in when we punded them and we scored a perfectly good goal that got chopped off. Whilst we were still reeling they put the ball in the net. I think it was the first time I have saw a defeated Motherwell team given a standing ovation.

My biggest gutter of a goal, it ruined my life not just my day, was Jan Vennegoor of Castlemilk's winner against the blue scum the season before last at the san giro. I was waiting on a draw for £29, 374.56. I still actually have the line. I never even thought of betting the thing in running at one all for either team to win :thumbup::doh:

There have been a few I'd have to admit. 1996 we went to Greyksull and were wiped 5-0, it was more the manner of defeat than anything else, though we did go back there later that season and stop the 9-in-a-row conga day. Also lost 5-0 at Legoland again with a wimp of a performance. Probably angriest I've been was a 0-2 reversal at the old Broomfield in season 84-85, that really got me seriously pissed that day.

Earliest one for this old timer was the 1974 cup qf replay when Celtic won 1-0 at FP.

Think I was 7 at the time and thought we were certain to win having drawn 2-2 at CP.

Closely followed by the semi defeats in 75 and 76.

1981 1-6 v Dundee utd

1984 0-6 v Celtic

1985 0-3 v Celtic

More recently, the Woods howler, 5-6 v Aberdeen, 4-5 v United and Maloney games all stand out.

:thumbup:

I always seem to take cup defeats a lot harder than league ones.

The worst ones that stick out for me were losing 4-3 to Ayr United at FP around 2000, when we had 2nd division Partick waiting in the Quarters.

The 2003 semi against Rangers was a sickener. Can't believe we shipped 4 goals to possibly one of the worst Rangers teams in recent history. And from the the high of being 2-1 up at HT.

I think the worst i've felt after a game was the following year in the cup, home to Inverness in the Quarters. They got a early goal (think it was Barry Wilson who lobbed it over Marshall) and then they stuck 10 men behind the ball for 80 minutes. We could have played all weekend and still not have scored. That game put me in a mood for about a week.

Van Hooijdonk scoring the only goal at Parkhead at what seemed to be about midnight was a bit of a sickener, as was just about every time we've gone out of either of the cups since 1991. Celtic equalising to make it 4-4 (Beattie I think) hurt aswell.

Although I have to say the worst one for me was Nancy at home. A bigger damp squib there has seldom been.

1976 Semi Final v Rangers,having beat Celtic in 3rd round,survived 2 replays v Hibs and then to get cheated at that stage was just too much to take,tears were tripping me all the way home on the bus,then went into chippy in Wishaw only to be met by Gers fans all giving it "youse were the best team hen"

1976 Semi Final v Rangers,having beat Celtic in 3rd round,survived 2 replays v Hibs and then to get cheated at that stage was just too much to take,tears were tripping me all the way home on the bus,then went into chippy in Wishaw only to be met by Gers fans all giving it "youse were the best team hen"

Same one for me...was only 10 at the time, and was inconsolable all the way home.

Closely followed by the Airdrie replay the previous season. Those 2 games in particular are why winning the 1991 semi final ranks as my best ever moment