Goals/games That Ruined Your Day.

Wellarmy

Van Hooijdonk scoring the only goal at Parkhead at what seemed to be about midnight was a bit of a sickener, as was just about every time we've gone out of either of the cups since 1991. Celtic equalising to make it 4-4 (Beattie I think) hurt aswell.

Although I have to say the worst one for me was Nancy at home. A bigger damp squib there has seldom been.

Strangely enough, that's mine too. Been to plenty worse games, but for some reason that really got to me.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting beat 2-1 at firpark by Hearts back in the early 70,s in the Texaco cup ,the first game was 1-1 at Tynecastle and we were 1 up at firpark and heading to the final when they scored an equaliser deep into injury time and went on to win the match .I was only about 12 or 13 at the time and it was the first time I had felt the gut wrenching pain of defeat ,it still pains me [but not as bad] when I think about it 30 odd years later.

away to accies new years day 87.we lost 4-2.albert craig scored all 4 for accies.he was complete s**te,i dont think he ever scored again.and to round of a great day,it hammered down with rain on the walk back through strathy park.was in bed for 5 days with the flu.god i hate albert craig :(

Van Hooijdonk scoring the only goal at Parkhead at what seemed to be about midnight was a bit of a sickener, as was just about every time we've gone out of either of the cups since 1991. Celtic equalising to make it 4-4 (Beattie I think) hurt aswell.

Although I have to say the worst one for me was Nancy at home. A bigger damp squib there has seldom been.

These would be two of mine.

Also Brian Welsh putting us out the cup after the last minute Big Softy game up at Tannadice.

I also remember us losing our long undefeated run against Celtic with Pat McGinlay scoring at Parkhead to give them a 1-0 win. The thing about that match was it was actually the coldest night of the year and the temperature went down to about -15 or something! It was absolutely fucking baltic! You had to eat a constant stream of pies and bovril just to survive on the terrace.

Then there was the 4-0 humping by Hearts at Tynecastle on the open end behind the goals in monsoon conditions. The definition of misery.

I still say though that the Llanelli match was the worst performance I've ever seen. I was utterly ashamed after that one, I felt like I'd turned inside out.

Don't know about the 80's, but they definitely beat us by that scoreline on a Sunday night in 1999.

We lost 0-7 to them early on the season we came back up in 1982. Took half-an-hour to go behind, then it never stopped. Still, come January, and it was a different story..........

mccoist scoring a late pen to make it 3-2 in the game brian martin screamed in a 30 yarder.

dubordeaux punching a killie player when he was holding the ball and giving away a pen. 85 minutes into one of the coldest most boring games ever at rugby park. it was our second defeat there in 4 days.

the ball bouncing through meldrum's legs against st mirren.

Don't know about the 80's, but they definitely beat us by that scoreline on a Sunday night in 1999.

that was the day andy goram was pictured in the paper alongside a dodgy flag.My worst was john gardiner dropping the ball late on in a replay agains hearts in the late eighties

that was the day andy goram was pictured in the paper alongside a dodgy flag

i think it was two weeks before. i'm sure goram played the next weekend then we capitulated and dropped him for the celtic game two weeks after.

i was well pissed off at goram getting dropped, i'd have had harold shipman in goals ahead of woods at that point.

Motherwell 0 ICT 1 when Marshall couldn't see for the sun was so disappointing because we were playing so very well at the time.

Or getting thumped off Ayr United.

Another one that springs to mind was up at Tannadice. Dundee United scored a couple of minutes in while we were still waiting in line at the turn stiles. I'd just paid in and was going up the stairs when there was a big roar and Dundee United had scored again. 2 down before I was even in my seat. We ended up getting gubbed about 4 or 5 nil.

I remember feeling totally cheated the day Princess Di snuffed it ....

.....it was a Sunday , and we were due to play Killie that day, if we won we went top of the league, well I was like a wean on Christmas morning when I got up .....then its all over the tv and radio that Di had snuffed it , and the game was cancelled ! :lol:

we were then a game behind, and started dropping points, so we never went top.

spent the whole day feeling cheated out of top spot in the league !!

woods passing the ball to durie in the scottish cup.

When I close my eyes I can still see that happening. :lol:

Livingston beating us 5-1 and Woods being at fault for EVERY goal.

I'm not usually one for abusing Motherwell players, but when Livi's 4th or 5th went I completely lost the plot with Woods and stood shouting and ranting at him... not that he could hear me probably, as there'd have been folk nearer the front at it too no doubt.

I think the worst i've felt after a game was the following year in the cup, home to Inverness in the Quarters. They got a early goal (think it was Barry Wilson who lobbed it over Marshall) and then they stuck 10 men behind the ball for 80 minutes. We could have played all weekend and still not have scored. That game put me in a mood for about a week.

Any cup defeat to a lower league team is painful, but this one is the stand out. Seem to recall we'd have had a nice path to the final too which makes it the worse.

The first game of this season against Llanelli was very, very embarassing, but we put it right in the second leg.

The two semi-finals in the mid 1970's win it for me. I found the Airdrie defeat harder to take though, as it was a free kick given because Stuart Rennie had taken too many steps, that just seemed so petty at the time I was incensed.

We had lost the first league game of the season, 1994-95, against Rangers at Ibrox but we then went on a massive unbeaten run that took us up to mid-December and a home match against Aberdeen, it was a wild windy and blustery day, out on the touchline near the dugouts Chris Mccart hooked the ball skywards and it caught in the wind travelling back to our goal where the keeper caught it, only for the ref, Louis Thow, to give a free kick for a pass back. Aberdeen scored and we lost 1-0 shortly after that the wheels came off the barra, so to speak and, while we still finished second we were well adrift of Rangers, when we had been nip and tuck with them from the start of the season.

Craig Beattie's 96th minute leveller in the 4-4 game really pissed me off as well.

.....it was a Sunday , and we were due to play Killie that day, if we won we went top of the league, well I was like a wean on Christmas morning when I got up .....then its all over the tv and radio that Di had snuffed it , and the game was cancelled ! :lol:

Aye, recall that as well. Had driven all the way up from Warrington especially for the game then that..........

We lost 0-7 to them early on the season we came back up in 1982. Took half-an-hour to go behind, then it never stopped. Still, come January, and it was a different story..........

Bad memories of that day Charlie Nick ripped us apart that day and ended Joe Warks career. Severe hangover on the Monday morning don't remember the Sunday :P

My worst was john gardiner dropping the ball late on in a replay agains hearts in the late eighties

It was January 1987, remember it well because I took my wife to her first 'Well game we had just got engaged and that was my idea of a romantic night out B-) I took her to 5 games all 1-0 defeats, 3 against Hearts, Airdrie and Llanelli over the next 22 years before I she broke her duck in Wales. :woop: Now that she has seen us win I don't think she will be back :lol::P:lol:

.....it was a Sunday , and we were due to play Killie that day, if we won we went top of the league, well I was like a wean on Christmas morning when I got up .....then its all over the tv and radio that Di had snuffed it , and the game was cancelled ! :P

Yeah I mind that too, total fucking disgrace that game got cancelled.

The Brian Welsh cup game and the Van Hooijdonk (or whatever his name was) injury time winner at parkhead are probably my two most painful ones.

dubordeaux punching a killie player when he was holding the ball and giving away a pen. 85 minutes into one of the coldest most boring games ever at rugby park. it was our second defeat there in 4 days.

It wasn't actually. We'd beaten them 1-0 in the Cup on the Saturday before that with Faddy scoring a penalty in what was the start of our '03 Cup run.

I know what you mean though about Dubourdeau lamping the Killie player. It was probably the most ridiculous penalty I've ever seen us giving away but it was just typical of the way things were going for us that season with luck and disciplinary problems.

I think the Airdrie replay was the worst one for me.

I have been trying to forget about both of them for years, you realise I won't sleep for weeks now.

Thanks very much. :(:lol:

Edit: I've just read the whole thread, thousands of pounds and years in therapy wasted, wiped out in the time taken to read three pages.