Goals/games That Ruined Your Day.

Wellarmy

We had lost the first league game of the season, 1994-95, against Rangers at Ibrox but we then went on a massive unbeaten run that took us up to mid-December and a home match against Aberdeen, it was a wild windy and blustery day, out on the touchline near the dugouts Chris Mccart hooked the ball skywards and it caught in the wind travelling back to our goal where the keeper caught it, only for the ref, Louis Thow, to give a free kick for a pass back. Aberdeen scored and we lost 1-0 shortly after that the wheels came off the barra.

McCart did hook it skywards but sadly that day he scored a OG, the Louis Thow game was against Hearts a few weeks later and again McCart(fae memory) hooked it skywards into the arms of Mr Woods.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also the 4-3 semi final defeat to Rangers.

With Faddy on fire I really thought we were going to win it that year.

We completely outplayed Rangers that day, I think Rangers scored every chance they had including a 25 yard balloon from Bert Konterman that somehow went in.

Jammy bastards. Life is so unfair.

Another couple of mine that haven't already been mentioned were the 4-1 defeat to Raith Rovers in 1991 after we'd won the Scottish Cup. I remember going in a right huff coming down from Kirkcaldy - thumping defeats like that weren't meant to happen to Scottish Cup winners!

Another couple of sickeners for me were Airdrie's first season back in the Premier League in the early nineties. We always struggled to get the better of Alex McDonald's thuggery and it was little different when he became manager of Airdrie.

It was bad enough losing to them when they scored the winner with 10 men in injury time around October but by the time they came and won 3-0 in March it just seemed the lowest of the low. The team had given up the ghost on the season since getting knocked out the Cup and had nothing to play for. The East Stand saw shouting matches and threats of square go's week in, week out - and some of that was with the players. The Great Leap Forward that everyone hoped we'd take after winning the Cup had completely fizzled out.

At 3-0 with quite a bit of time left, I spat the dummy out and stormed out. It was pretty stupid really since my old man was still inside and I'd no way to get home and nothing to do other than wait by the motor. Worse was the fact that all my mates from school in the away end all saw me, naturally thought it was hilarious and have never let me forget it. Bastards! :P

Another couple of mine that haven't already been mentioned were the 4-1 defeat to Raith Rovers in 1991 after we'd won the Scottish Cup. I remember going in a right huff coming down from Kirkcaldy - thumping defeats like that weren't meant to happen to Scottish Cup winners!

Big Sieb's debut :P

Too many to mention, but these ones stand out.

The Dundee Utd 5-4 game from a few years ago was a particularly bad one to take. I've always felt that one of the greatest crimes in football is for a team to lose a game after being 2-0 up, and yet we threw away a 2 goal lead 3 times that day after leading 2-0, 3-1, and 4-2!!! We should've been given a penalty in the last minute, but even still, I was in my bed for 6pm in a major huff that night and couldn't even bring myself to watch the goals at a later date, labeling it "the game that we must not speak of" to this day.

The cup defeat to Ayr Utd in 2000 was another one that haunted me for years. One of the most expensive Motherwell teams ever assembled, humbled at home to lowly Ayr Utd with a then 2nd Division Partick Thistle at Fir park standing between us and the semi finals. Unforgivable. I blame the hounding of Shaun Teale from the club for all our ills in the 2nd half of that season.

In fact all our recent cup exits to beatable opposition make very difficult reading. St Mirren 3 times in as many years, Dundee, ICT, and St Johnstone. Oot the cup with a whimper every time!

i felt cheated that day as well

she was a national treasure :(

Does that mean we can dig her up and claim 10%?

We completely outplayed Rangers that day, I think Rangers scored every chance they had including a 25 yard balloon from Bert Konterman that somehow went in.

Dooby doo had a blind spot right above his head, Delameux, Konterman... the goals he lost straight over his head :P

As for the Louis Thow incident, I blame Woods for catching it, he should have killed the ball on his chest, played a 1-2 with McCart, beat everyone on the Hearts team and scored twice.

For me goals that would ruin my day are late winners or equalisers for the opposition. I remember all the disappointments mentioned on here myself, it is like primal scream therapy this aint it?!!!

Many recent heartbreakers have involved Killie robbing us late on, but the cup defeats when a good run seemed inevitable are always hard to take. Humpings don't usually affect me for days to be honest, when we go 3 behind I've accepted defeat already and have got over it by full time!!

No-one has mentioned the Dundee cup tie from 2 seasons ago when a win would've seen us face QOS for a semi final place. That was sore.

A sore one for me was against Caley about 5 years ago a good crowd me n ma mates having a good cup bevy and a more planned after the match only for Caley to score from Hamilton cross and out we go and a trip to Hampden against Dunfermline down the swannie. AAARGH! :wallbash::wallbash: