Clear Out

Steve Diggle

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think we should be keeping hold of Craigan and Lasley. Lasley's around the fringes of the team at the moment and still able to make the bench at least. Craggs has just been a superb servant to this club and a great ambassador. Every club needs a guy like that. In saying that, I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to leave to try and get regular football but I hope he sticks around, fights for his place and continues to represent us in the great way he has done so far.

I don't see Fitzpatrick or Smith going anywhere either. They've been injured and I think deserve a chance to prove that they're worth a spot in the team. Fitzpatrick especially could fit very well into this system and I could see Jim Gannon being the type of manager who knows how to get the best out of him.

Fraser and McGarry (and to some extent Jennings) just don't appear to be performing up to scratch for the manager so I wouldn't be surprised to see them go in January. All the best to anyone that does leave though, I hope they find clubs soon and do well.

they're no any better than the guys playing week in week out the now and they don't appear to offer us anything useful.

we've only really used 14 players significantly during the season with the odd cameo from humphrey and mchugh and wee glimpses of lasley and jennings. considering 4 of our 14 core players could well be off in january then our squad is pretty thin as it is.

On the bbc there is video of gannon talking about his manager of the month award. He states that the players he would want to leave are the ones not on the team sheet. Crags is/isn't on the team sheet as is lasley.

Are they too expensive for us? If we sell them on can we then keep the likes of Ruddy and Duke, coke longer than a year etc. If not then it will be players such as lasley/fraser etc who will be asked to come in and do a shift. What motivation is there for these palyers to play for a manager who has publicly said yer shite. Would question why gannon went public with this.

If we can sell them and keep/extend deals for the youngsters loanees all well and good. Ganon though has been saying he has a small squad. Will he be able to bring in better quality than what is already there?

interesting times.

Are they too expensive for us? If we sell them on can we then keep the likes of Ruddy and Duke, coke longer than a year etc.

my take on our budget this year is that we were well under which is why we were able to afford two fairly expensive loan signings right at the end of the window. i doubt we'll be able to afford to keep any of the three loanees, for all they might be enjoying their football here they would probably have to sacrifice too much money to make it permanent.

i don't think we'd have any problem keeping coke on, even on slightly improved terms. however i suspect that the reason him and jennings came up here on one year deals is to put themselves in the shop window and move to a much bigger contract with another club in the summer.

Darren Smith, and The Hutch, took part in turning on the lights in Wishaw today.

Euan Cameron spoke to the lads for a little bit.

Smith,"Think we've made a great start to the season... we're going for 3rd place and europe. Realistically, we're aiming for the top six, after that though, 4th and 3rd is realistic."

On the new manager,"He's been a breath of fresh air."

They then went on to mock his(Gannon) fashion sense and music taste. Shauny never said much other than we had made a great start and that Hibs are the best team they've played.

Darren still looked to be limping rather badly.

Not wanting to restart an old argument, but people saying Fraser is useless is just plain moronic. Maybe you've not been convinced by him so far, but Jim O'Brien took a while to come onto a game as have many others throughout the years.

I'd definitely keep Craigan, as if he's doing his coaching badges I think he'd be a great guy to have around the club off the pitch, but as much as it pains me to say this, his playing days seem to be numbered. I think Lasley is still a useful player to have around, but I think he'd be far from happy about being behind Forbes, Coke, Hateley and Jennings.

McGarry and Fitzpatrick I'd definitely let go. Both have been good professionals and servants to the club but we have far better options in other players. As for Darren Smith, I do feel he has something to offer, but he'd be behind O'Brien, Slane, Humphrey and Murphy for a game out wide, and Sutton, Jutkiewicz, McHugh and Murphy for a game through the middle, so all in all I don't really see much benefit in keeping any of those three.

right, this season craigan has been our motm against aberdeen and falkirk and put in good performances against killie and steaua. he's also played very well in three games for NI against poland, czech republic and slovakia. i don't get where the idea that he's finished comes from, end of august and september he's getting motms and doing well in world cup qualifiers, one bad game in the cup in october and he's finished?

I agree with this. Gannon needs to keep at least some of his more experience players. You surely can't go all on youth, you need a mix to keep it together, and Craigan is a good player. Everybody has an off day sometimes. If the goalies let in a goal, you still play them the next week. But obviously if he's still getting picked for international duties he must be doing something right.

Just look back to this time last season when Well were getting beat every week and McGhee was getting pelters. Craigan was out injured. Craigan came back and we got a decent unbeaten run. Don't know if it was his playing or his influence as Captain on the rest of the team but something worked.

Yeah couldn't agree more. When Craigan was out of the team last season I think that's as bad as I've seen us defend. We would have been relgation candidates if he hadn't came back into the team last season and steadied the ship. I don't think Craigan has done much wrong this season, he had a stinker up at Paisley in the cup, but other than that he hasn't done anything that badly stands out. His distribution isn't brilliant, and never has been, and it has gone mostly without complaint until now. The reason I said that I think his playing days are numbered is that Gannon doesn't seem to rate him. To be fair though, Hutchinson and Saunders have both been tremendous so you can't be over-critical of Gannon leaving him out, although I think him getting subbed last week was totally unjustifiable and contributed greatly to our downfall.

All we can do is speculate until January. I can't see JG making any more outlandish comments to the media. My comments on discussion so far -

Fraser - Fair point Joeboy that he's not been given time to prove himself. But I'd shunt him cos no matter how many times I see him, he's never going to be quality and he's not tall enough.

Craigan - Keep him. Apart from his wee sojourn with Partick, he's a big part of the club. He's near the end of his playing days but he's working on his coaching badges, he's smart and articulate. I'd like him given player/coach contract.

Lasley - Popular with many fans - including me, a midfield workhorse. It would be nice to have him as a squad player but that's maybe not what he needs at this time in his career. But the situation would change completely if Coke or Hately weren't to stick around long.

McGarry and Fitzpatrick - Move them on to smaller club where they can get regular football

DL Smith - Long term injury, been a future prospect for a long time before that. Will he ever make it at Fir Park. I agree with the comment he's the type who could thrive under JG, but will he ever get the chance now? Murphy is now way ahead of him in the queue and McHugh is knocking on the door now as well. I don't think there's room for Darren anymore.

Fraser - Fair point Joeboy that he's not been given time to prove himself. But I'd shunt him cos no matter how many times I see him, he's never going to be quality and he's not tall enough.

Don't you think he's of a good enough standard to come on for Ruddy if/when he's injured? We've not seen the other guy in action and he's obviously behind Fraser in the pecking order. That tells us Fraser is the better choice. I'm not sure we could do any better when it comes to subby keepers.

From what I've seen of Fraser so far I don't think he is fantastic, or anywhere near the standard of Ruddy, but at the same time I really don't think we can be aiming for better in a back-up keeper. But as I said previously, the jury is still out, he hasn't played nearly enough to be judged.

I'd rather have a quality, enthusiastic youngster as back up keeper than a journeyman. Unfortunately, since JG pulled Kosiorowski from the bench against Hearts, I fear this will have impacted upon his motivation.

In what way do you consider Fraser to be a journeyman? He'd been at one club his whole career til he signed for us.

He was dropped after that game. If i remember correctly, he could have done better with one of the goals. This is the same 'keeper who also won MOTM against celtic the previous season.

His distribution is as good as Ruddys and from what we've seen, his shot stopping is just as good too. Ruddy is definately better at coming for the ball but he punches far too often. Outwith the Old Firm, i'd say we have the best backup in the SPL.

Yeah we have all talked about clear outs but anyone think we will further strengthen our squad with players other than loanees?

I think it will be a mix of both mate. Not too fussed about that either. I think loanees are fine and don't see them as anything other than our players in the time that they are here.

Gannon will take us forward in the right way and there'll be enough money coming in from the conveyor belt to take us forward by further establishing the young contracted players supplemented by loanees to keep us battling in the league.