Do You Remember

The_Pup

I had to think long and hard about this and while the Cup-tie v Celtic was a truly great day, and the Cup Final no less fantastic, I've had to plump for a pretty obscure match.

It was in the early 1960's and we were at home to Airdrie, I have no idea if it was a League Cup, Scottish Cup, Lanarkshire Cup, or a League match.

I was only 6 or 7 years old and it was my first football match. We were in the small enclosure in front of the Main Stand and, while the match, players, scoring etc escapes my memory, the atmosphere never ever will. It's what draws me back to football in general, and Motherwell in particular. Men, and boys, were laughing, shouting, singing, swearing and generally having a good time. Grown men on the field were kicking lumps out of one another, (apparently it's what passed for tackling back in those days) and there were goals, plenty of goals, 8 in all. Motherwell won 5-3, who scored? Haven't a scooby. What I do remember though is my reaction to each goal, I was jumping and cheering like a madman, had I known of the word and the emotion at the time, I would have said it was almost orgasmic. I was hyper on the way home, I was also exhausted and was happily esconced in my bed early that night at the end of what, at that point, had been the greatest day of my life.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For sheer delight the scoring spree during the tragic game against Dundee Utd takes a lot of beating. Not just for the number but also the quality of the 5 goals.

That such a game became etched in 'Well history for the wrong reason cannot delete the quality of the play from the team being captained for the last time by Uncle Phil.

I had to think long and hard about this and while the Cup-tie v Celtic was a truly great day, and the Cup Final no less fantastic, I've had to plump for a pretty obscure match.

It was in the early 1960's and we were at home to Airdrie, I have no idea if it was a League Cup, Scottish Cup, Lanarkshire Cup, or a League match.

I was only 6 or 7 years old and it was my first football match. We were in the small enclosure in front of the Main Stand and, while the match, players, scoring etc escapes my memory, the atmosphere never ever will. It's what draws me back to football in general, and Motherwell in particular. Men, and boys, were laughing, shouting, singing, swearing and generally having a good time. Grown men on the field were kicking lumps out of one another, (apparently it's what passed for tackling back in those days) and there were goals, plenty of goals, 8 in all. Motherwell won 5-3, who scored? Haven't a scooby. What I do remember though is my reaction to each goal, I was jumping and cheering like a madman, had I known of the word and the emotion at the time, I would have said it was almost orgasmic. I was hyper on the way home, I was also exhausted and was happily esconced in my bed early that night at the end of what, at that point, had been the greatest day of my life.

Had a quick look in the Well Again book and think this may be the game you're referring to.

1958-59 Scottish Cup 1st round.

31 Jan 58 Motherwell 7 Airdrie 2

St John(4) Weir(2) Hunter

Att. 14,000

Looks like quite a good game! :woop:

Had a quick look in the Well Again book and think this may be the game you're referring to.

1958-59 Scottish Cup 1st round.

31 Jan 58 Motherwell 7 Airdrie 2

St John(4) Weir(2) Hunter

Att. 14,000

Looks like quite a good game! :woop:

Sorry, could be wrong. Just found a 5-2 league win at home to Airdrie in season 1961-62.

For me? Rangers 0 Motherwell 2, May 5th, 1997. It was the 9-in-a-row conga party which never was, for the best performance I've ever seen from a Motherwell side at either Greyskull or Legoland ensured that we'd give ourselves a superb chance of staying up. With over 50000 in the ground, Motherwell were given just 600 tickets (and we were in a small section to the immediate left of the main stand) but I am sure there were only about 150 of us actually got a ticket. They were all around us, indeed I had their fans sitting in front, behind and to my left. And boy did we let them know when the goals went in, especially the second one. Fantastic feeling, and such a high. Brilliant stuff!!!!

For me? Rangers 0 Motherwell 2, May 5th, 1997. It was the 9-in-a-row conga party which never was, for the best performance I've ever seen from a Motherwell side at either Greyskull or Legoland ensured that we'd give ourselves a superb chance of staying up. With over 50000 in the ground, Motherwell were given just 600 tickets (and we were in a small section to the immediate left of the main stand) but I am sure there were only about 150 of us actually got a ticket. They were all around us, indeed I had their fans sitting in front, behind and to my left. And boy did we let them know when the goals went in, especially the second one. Fantastic feeling, and such a high. Brilliant stuff!!!!

One of the first away games I went too. Was brilliant.

cis cup semi against hearts what a night that was

also game day in nancy was amazing and me and my uncle singing jilted john the whole way up the rue st george after the game will live with me for a long time best moment of 2008 :D

Guest Reuben

So many good moments, but I have to say Nancy away. The result could have been better, but the atmosphere was very special. The singing of "One Phil O'Donnell" as the game kicked off was a tearjerker, singing all through the game, followed by half an hour of solid chanting after the game. Was close to tears at the end, was just so proud!

Dortmund was kinda the same. Constant singing before, during and afterwards, to the extend the home fans just didn't have a clue what was going on - we'd lost and were still supporting our side!

Fantastic stuff! :unsure:

Remember that one well. My dad was a cop and was working that day so couldn't take me. But, he appeared at the house at about 3:30 and said "get your scarf". Up to FP in the back of a police traffic car and watched the second half from the press box along with every Motherwell cop working but not on duty at FP that day. One or two lost their caps when Wullie P scored. Couldn't stop smiling for about a week.

Deffo the best day after the '91 cup final for me.

This is a great thread full of wonderful memories, superb to read! Some of mine have already been covered, so I'll throw in a few others:

Farningham Day at Geyskull in 1986.

Jamie Dolan in goals v Shellic in 1996.

4-2 at Easter Road last season.

3-0 v Gers in 1991.

Motherwell 6 - Hibernian 2. 31st january 1998.

Not a game of great significance apart from the scoreline. two nil down after 7 minutes, 3 - 2 at half time. 6 - 2 full time. Good stuff.

The 2-1 game against Aberdeen last season was a blinder too. Dairylea punting us into Europe.

I remember that day very well! Especially the guys nabbing the slates which used to be the way of making subbies, and a female plod chasing through the crowd to get them back! Then the players tentatively making their way up the rickety stairs and onto the front of the "main stand". The only stand, and that was pushing it in terms of description.....

Guest mockchop
I remember that day very well! Especially the guys nabbing the slates which used to be the way of making subbies, and a female plod chasing through the crowd to get them back! Then the players tentatively making their way up the rickety stairs and onto the front of the "main stand". The only stand, and that was pushing it in terms of description.....
ive got one in the loft :lol:

I also remember a game at FP in the late seventies agains Killie which finished 5-4 to us. Thrilling stuff.

Another game with Cooper and Boyd playing piggy in the middle with an opposition player before the guy lost it and booted Boyd in the nuts. Can't remember who or whih club we were playing though.

Another game with Cooper and Boyd playing piggy in the middle with an opposition player before the guy lost it and booted Boyd in the nuts. Can't remember who or whih club we were playing though.

Would it be mabye be the day we drew with Celtic at Fir Park in the fog and Cooper took the absolute pish out of Anton Rogan? In my minds eye he rips him to shreds to the point that Rogan halfs Coop who promptly shows him the ball as if to say this what you are trying to kick?

cis cup semi against hearts what a night that was

also game day in nancy was amazing and me and my uncle signing jilted john the whole way up the rue st george after the game will live with me for a long time best moment of 2008 :(

Should this not be in the "Drunkest watching the 'Well" thread? :(

Oh aye, and for someone with a Higher English your spelling is terrible. :angry:

Nancy for me.

As odd as it might sound as well, the day Phil died. Up until his collapse, I don't know if I'd ever seen a more exciting and impressive display by a Motherwell team. We were unstoppable that day.

There have been so many... recent ones include Tynecastle last January, and the Aberdeen game last year...

But 2 from Easter Road stick in my mind:

The CIS Semi against Hearts where we were on for the win then Clarky missed a sitter 2 yards out and Hearts equalised only for Fitzy to score a peach of a goal to win the game! Why doesnt he do that anymore?!

The other one was last year against Hibs in the CIS round bout September. I had been travelling for a few months so missed the first games of the season but was getting regular updates saying how we were a changed team, playing sexy football! I didnt believe it and when we went 1-0 down I was like, yeh wotever! But then we played some of the best football I have seen the well play in recent years with Rossco scoring 2 peaches.... Good times!