League Table Comparisons.

SuperSteelman

We're only 1 win off where we were those seasons and if anything, I would say that the number of draws we're having shows a bit more character and that we're becoming harder to beat. Under McGhee we were usually a win or lose team but with Gannon, we're drawing while playing poorly rather than losing and showing some great character to fight back from behind in games that we probably would have lost previously.

The most relevant stat there is that we are 2 points better off than either of the last two seasons at this stage. Given that 2007/2008 was one of the most succesful campaign in years that sounds good to me.

What's interesting about the last few seasons was that after this point (on the run up to Xmas) we had very different fortunes. In 07/08 we started playing some of the best football I have ever seen a Well team play and last year we started to plummet down the table at this time.

If we have 36 pts after 22 games I will be delighted.

I'd bite yer hand off for 36 from 22 and maybe a couple of players added in January and I think we just might achieve this total if we can win our home games over the period.

Don't forget that a couple of the draws were against the old firm and after todays result we have nothing to fear from Celtic and little to fear from Rangers.

I agree that the points on the board are the most relevant stat but we have also had some good football to watch and an excitement and buzz so far this season that no-one expected at the start.

Speaking of stats I fully expect Jeno, if played, to feature in our scoring charts this season.

I know there are lies, damned lies and statistics but who would have thought that the season we had scored the fewest goals at this point was McGhee's first season! Perhaps putting the ball in the pokey is not as big a problem as we have been making out.

I know there are lies, damned lies and statistics but who would have thought that the season we had scored the fewest goals at this point was McGhee's first season! Perhaps putting the ball in the pokey is not as big a problem as we have been making out.

I think though Tweed that the free flowing football and goal scoring that we remember from that season came after this point in the season.

I think though Tweed that the free flowing football and goal scoring that we remember from that season came after this point in the season.

The second round of matches was obviously mixed up by the postponements following Phil O'Donnell's death but out of the 10 matches that were played in sequence we won 6 out of 10 and scored 3 against Inverness, Gretna and Aberdeen and obviously the 5 against Dundee United; 19 in 10 matches overall.

Although there is the odd draw I think we should have turned into a victory, I think if following us losing McGhee, you had said to me, by the end of the first round of games you will have lost once, playing football on the deck, with many homegrown youngsters in the side I'd have been more than happy to take it.

What it means is that we picked up more points than either of the previous two seasons but it is still far to early to say how things will go longer term. Reasons to be optimistic absolutely, but as the previous two seasons show things could look very different come the turn of the year. And then we have a few loan players who may or may not be around on top the usual instability of anyone going into final 6 months of their contract.

I'm basically quite happy, shame we don't have a couple of more points at least from saturday for one thing but we are clearly quite hard to beat which whether things go well or get a bit sticky is a good attribute to have.

An interesting comparison. 1 defeat as opposed to 5 - yet only 2 points difference. Last two seasons felt fair to middling - win some, lose some. But this term we appear strong and consistent. Some of our draws have been nearer to victories rather than defeats. Therefore I feel optimistic we are going to pick up more points in the second half of the season than we did in the first. The team is is still developing - but going the right way.

The most relevant stat there is that we are 2 points better off than either of the last two seasons at this stage. Given that 2007/2008 was one of the most succesful campaign in years that sounds good to me.

What's interesting about the last few seasons was that after this point (on the run up to Xmas) we had very different fortunes. In 07/08 we started playing some of the best football I have ever seen a Well team play and last year we started to plummet down the table at this time.

If we have 36 pts after 22 games I will be delighted.

The ONLY thing that matters.

Goals, the stats would seem to back up, that they came more regularly a bit further into the season, but the free flowing football was there from game one.

We had roasted the Saints defence and had a goal of the season candidate against St Mirren by about 3 minutes past three on the opening day of the season.

We also had the rather curious scenario of the whole of the East Stand singing and cheering the team off the park after the loss against Killie such was the level of performance and that was only 2 or 3 weeks into the season.

I think all in all though its one of these stats that you can cast up to emphasise a positive and we all like to see and read positive stuff about our team, so its a good news story for me that we are better off points wise.