Gannon And The Press

steelboy

I don't know if anyone (Brainier?) has the stats for the number of red cards this season as compared to others at the same stage? The number being flashed is now getting to the concerning stage I'd say...

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if anyone (Brainier?) has the stats for the number of red cards this season as compared to others at the same stage? The number being flashed is now getting to the concerning stage I'd say...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/fairpla...e=4&cc=5739

That doesn't include today's though.

took this from the scotland site..........dont know how accurate it is tho flow

"This season so far is 29 including the 7 this weekend. Over the whole of last season the red card count was 51."

Today's Herald report seems to take a rather big issue with Gannon.... Herald

60% of the report discussing the situation with the gaffer and the faltering circulation figures of the papers then the remainder about the game? Standard Scottish media trash, they have a mighty big hit for themselves.

This whole thing has highlighted one of the fundamental flaws in the whole set up.

I believe as Motherwell fans we're entitled to know Gannon thoughts and if that's limited to the official website, the local press and the matchday programme - I'm perfectly happy with that.

The national papers and telly forget that their job, and their placer in the food chain is to 'report on the match' - that is Hibs played well, Motherwell played badly, player x had a nuber of good chances, player y set up a few etc etc etc.

Their 'need' to incorporate managers comments and the desire to constantly stir things up by including every morsel of controversy actually shows THEM up. They see their role as the catalyst to constant controversy and are the bearers of constant negativity.

I know I mentioned this before - but when we were running the GLF fanzine a great contributor (Terry Willoughby) used to send us up match reports from the past - reporters used to actually describe in their report what actually happened in the match and in a real positive light - i.e. focusing on the good play from wherever in the match first and foremost (i.e the goals) then describing anything else of note that went on.

These days it's arse over tit and everyone from the SFA, through the press, and the TV focus on the controversy and the negatives - and its 100 times worse here than it is in England. Anyone flicking between hamilton v Hearts and Scunthorpe v Coventry on Sky yesterday would see that it's like flicking between some junior game and a senior professional league match (which it obviously was).

This whole thing has highlighted one of the fundamental flaws in the whole set up.

I believe as Motherwell fans we're entitled to know Gannon thoughts and if that's limited to the official website, the local press and the matchday programme - I'm perfectly happy with that.

The national papers and telly forget that their job, and their placer in the food chain is to 'report on the match' - that is Hibs played well, Motherwell played badly, player x had a nuber of good chances, player y set up a few etc etc etc.

Their 'need' to incorporate managers comments and the desire to constantly stir things up by including every morsel of controversy actually shows THEM up. They see their role as the catalyst to constant controversy and are the bearers of constant negativity.

I know I mentioned this before - but when we were running the GLF fanzine a great contributor (Terry Willoughby) used to send us up match reports from the past - reporters used to actually describe in their report what actually happened in the match and in a real positive light - i.e. focusing on the good play from wherever in the match first and foremost (i.e the goals) then describing anything else of note that went on.

These days it's arse over tit and everyone from the SFA, through the press, and the TV focus on the controversy and the negatives - and its 100 times worse here than it is in England. Anyone flicking between hamilton v Hearts and Scunthorpe v Coventry on Sky yesterday would see that it's like flicking between some junior game and a senior professional league match (which it obviously was).

Yes spot on

people-clapping.jpg

The first paragraph is just a sarcastic ramble, if these people want to be taken seriously, then perhaps they should act like journalists, and they will be treated like journalists.

I'm sure Jim won't be too fussed with this.

So The Herald write an article saying that Jim has spat the dummy out in a whole article where The Herald spit the dummy out.

Roon them

I think we all agree that the media will take whichever slant to a story that gets more attention whether true or not and make up stories or misquote all too often. I think we also agree that the standard of refereeing is very poor in the SPL at this moment in time.

But I am not in agreement with the stance that Gannon is taking.

It is not just Motherwell FC that are victims - take the Hearts game yesterday - this is hard given my fellings towards the jambos in general, but Mike Stewart was handbags and warranted a yellow card at worst. Then you had the incident at the end when a free kick was awarded against Callum Elliot for what looked like a foul against him in the penalty box and one where I would have been looking for a Motherwell penalty.

I believe that Gannon is a very good Manager but he is in danger of ruining both his reputation and that of the club. Whatever has got his back up - perhaps he sould be thankful he is in a job or he is not in Afghanistan etc etc There are millions of people worse off and IMHO he is coming across as petulant.

If he improves this side of his management skills - he will go a long way. If he continues along this path that the whole world is against him and his team - then he will definitely limit his long term potential.......

I wonder when the Herald reporter will be able to spit the lemon oot his gob. That's one bitter, bitter person. The report made it sound like Hibs should've won by double figures, even as bad as we played it was never that.

i disagree by a monday morning anyone who is actually likely to read a match report will have read the sunday papers, seen the highlights and maybe even been at the game. the monday papers need to take a different angle to make it interesting to the readers than just describing the game.

controvesy sells. if there is an article about aiden mcgeady talking about his football skills i'll skip it but if it's aiden mcgeady and boruc boxing i'll definitely read it. the same applys here, most people would rather read this than some generic match report.

i disagree by a monday morning anyone who is actually likely to read a match report will have read the sunday papers, seen the highlights and maybe even been at the game. the monday papers need to take a different angle to make it interesting to the readers than just describing the game.

controvesy sells. if there is an article about aiden mcgeady talking about his football skills i'll skip it but if it's aiden mcgeady and boruc boxing i'll definitely read it. the same applys here, most people would rather read this than some generic match report.

hence the game in Scotland is in the grubber.

We'd rather talk about boxing than anybody playing decent fitba.

And I'm not saying match reports and coverage should be inane drivel. The media have a responsibility to cover the football match. If we're looking to read the bullshit than you're playing into their hands. The sooner all the bodies involved in scottish football start to sell it and look to the positives - like the young players coming through, like the stuff that hibs and dundee utd and ourselves can play on occasion as opposed to all that tedious shit about who hit who in the Douglas Park tunnel.

We need to get arses on seats and quickly. we need to show football on the telly at a decent hour so that kids of all incomes nowadays have a decent chance to see good players showing decent skills - and we need to stop accentuating all the negative shit that goes on in the background.

The tittle tattle might be interesting to some but if you take a step back it's actually (one of the things) that's strangling our game.

I agree with you there however it does become a problem when thing's are constantly getting taken out of context for the sake of spin and controversy? I'm not just talking about sport either, some journalists and editors should get jailed for the amount of pish they write about people.

I don't know the specifics of Gannons issues with them but for that reason alone I can't blame him at all for for wanting fuck all to do with the media.

Today's Herald report seems to take a rather big issue with Gannon.... Herald

that garbage just proves to me how right the gaffer is to tell the media to go take a flying feck to themselves :(

Boo bloody hoo for the poor wee reporter and his petted lip.

Maybe if he tried to actually report on the match rather than have ago at the gaffer they would get the respect they think they deserve

To go down the old...........its for the Motherwell fans route is a fecking joke cos if they actually did that it would be a first

No mention of the booking for Murph's not given penalty.

No mention of the other 2 very soft bookings

Or that we committed 4( or 6 according to our own sites) and got 3 bookings and they committed 20+ and got 1 booking

No mention of the clear handball not even flagged( ref waved play on) etc

yep we were poor first and second half but that match report is just all about the "reporter" and his petted lip

From the record:

"It was a shameful display of petulance from Gannon who then sent up a clearly-embarrassed press officer Alan Burrows to mutter his apologies for the no-show."

Clearly embarrassed....how did that look?

I'll take a stab that flow went into the press office at 5 o'clock looking like this:

embarrassed.jpg

The papers are going with the angle that Gannon is letting us (the fans) down by not talking to them, which is an understandable stance given that we're the guys who spent £50+ going to Edinburgh on saturday to see an unnacceptable performance from our team. We do deserve answers to why certain decisions were made, where he thinks it went wrong, and what he'll do to fix it.

However, keep in mind that he has agreed to come and speak to the Motherwell fans face-to-face a week on Thursday at the Trust's Fans Forum event where he will attempt to answer any questions we have without the 'papers getting a sniff. A win/win situation I'd say, and well worth the £3 given his recent lack of comment. And that's without mentioning Craig Brown, Mark Hately and Chris McCart!

It will be tomorrow before we hear from the manager on the official site if anyone was waiting on it....

Oh, and Thursday will be a good one to get along too as well!

'Flow

P.S Where did you get that picture of me jk? :(

We need to get arses on seats and quickly. we need to show football on the telly at a decent hour so that kids of all incomes nowadays have a decent chance to see good players showing decent skills - and we need to stop accentuating all the negative shit that goes on in the background.

A good point well made. When I was a lad (que Hovis theme) football highlights were on free to air TV at a decent time. There was Scotsport on a Sunday afternoon and Sportscene on Saturday evening. Not all kids (especially those from low income families) can afford Sky or ESPN. All we are looking for is some decent highlights (Scotland and SPL games) on terrestrial telly. They have it down South with the EPL and England games so why not here.