Gannon To Brighton?.....

CheshireCat

Hi chaps, don't want to worry you lot but it looks lke Brighton are determined to get their man. They tried to get him whilst with us, he went to speak to the then chairman Dick Knight but he turned it down as he wanted to stay with us.

Hope things are going well up there!

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/4726375.Bl...it_down/?ref=mr

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just goes to show that the grass isn't always greener eh. Sounds like we me have had a lucky escape with Virgo as well.

You have absolutely no idea just how lucky...he is even slower than I remembered which is saying something!

Its fair to say that Buzz hasn't had a good start - but any keeper playing behind the Brighton defence will ship goals!! To be honest, I don't think he could be blamed for many of the goals he has conceded.

Think there is more to this than the Crewe one....

It is an interesting one - Gannon (reportedly) only turned Brighton down the last time because he wanted to stay loyal to Stockport.

He clearly impressed the powers that be at Brighton - and now there is a new chairman who has personally underwritten a new stadium (90+ million), a number of new players in the close season (sadly, no experienced defenders), and appears willing to back his new man.

A number of sources close to the club have all suggested that the Chairman appears confident that he can get Gannon (whether that simply means financially, or that there is a clause in Gannon's contract etc I can't say).

The majority of the Brighton support can't see Gannon leaving Motherwell for Brighton - unless its purely down to money.

For what it's worth, as of Friday the bookies favourites for the Brighton job were:

Gus Poyet 9/2

Steve Cotterill 7/1

Teddy Sheringham 10/1

John Gregory 12/1

Peter Taylor 12/1

Gareth Southgate 13/1

Iain Dowie 13/1

Alan Curbishley 14/1

Tony Adams 20/1

Gannon didn't even rate a mention.

As I stated on the other Gannon thread I'd be very surprised if he were to go anywhere. He's started building a team here and is making plans for January and beyond. From what I've seen and heard of him I don't believe he's the sort of person to walk out in the middle (or even at the beginning) of something.

he went to speak to the then chairman Dick Knight but he turned it down as he wanted to stay with us.

Part of the reason he turned them down was because he wasn't very impressed with Knight. Jim tried to talk budget, potential signings (including bringing the likes of Mullins and Tommy Rowe with him), that Knight bloke kept changing the subject and talking about the new stadium, etc. There's probably more to it, but that was from the horse's mouth at the time.

I'd be pretty surprised if he went anytime before the end of the season.

Football is a pretty short term game these days and from the early promise I'd like to see Gannon build a team and stay for a few seasons before moving onto bigger things but provided he at least stays this full season I'll have no complaints. You never know when opportunities are going to come round and like with players if clubs with more money are hovering it is because things are going well. We can change the manager every season for all I care provided it is because they keep getting poached rather than having to sack rotten ones! :lol:

Story has broke in The Sun today also. "One of the front runners".

Would that be the Scottish Sun? Another few lines taken up to avoid calling Shellic fans exactly what they are. Conveniently enough a club doing okay under their new gaffer and taking points off the Old Firm. Conspiracies, conspiracies :lol:

Part of the reason he turned them down was because he wasn't very impressed with Knight. Jim tried to talk budget, potential signings (including bringing the likes of Mullins and Tommy Rowe with him), that Knight bloke kept changing the subject and talking about the new stadium, etc. There's probably more to it, but that was from the horse's mouth at the time.

Yes, that's pretty much how I heard things went down. Knight is no longer in a position of power however...

I'm really not worried but either of these rumours, especially Crewe. I don't think Gannon will be leaving us anytime soon.

Heard a few reports tonight that Darren Ferguson has been sacked at Peterborough. If that turns out to be true I think he might well jump to the top of Brighton's list.