One Up Front

the fox

Around the time i started going regularly to Fir Park i remember my father saying to me something along the lines of teams are more interested in avoiding defeat than trying to win and bemoaning the lack of wingers.

Fast forward to this season and i must admit being incredulous at seeing my favourite team line up 4 2 3 1 against the might of Falkirk and this at our own park not theirs.

As i go to Fir Park mostly to be entertained ( if i merely went to see a win id go somewhre else) i think once this season is finished it will be junior football for me.

I will also point out my son will too be lost to the finance of Motherwell fc.

Around the time i started going regularly to Fir Park i remember my father saying to me something along the lines of teams are more interested in avoiding defeat than trying to win and bemoaning the lack of wingers.

Fast forward to this season and i must admit being incredulous at seeing my favourite team line up 4 2 3 1 against the might of Falkirk and this at our own park not theirs.

As i go to Fir Park mostly to be entertained ( if i merely went to see a win id go somewhre else) i think once this season is finished it will be junior football for me.

I will also point out my son will too be lost to the finance of Motherwell fc.

Aye I mind that game. We played 2 wingers that day, how many do you want? :P

I do know a little bit about football as i have played for Hibs and later Hearts under 9,10,11 and the latter at 12,13sand 14s i was then released as i am also a ski racer

but i am presuming what Gannon was trying to do was make the 4231 into a 433 when we attacked to combat ryhan flynn and scott arfield i beleive it was more tactical managment than a defensive statement as i played that formation at home with hibs at under 13 level

For me, football is definitely a results-driven business. Are you trying to say in McGhee's first season you enjoyed getting beat of Kilmarnock that day we were robbed than beating Gretna with a goal off Porter's arse?

I love Motherwell playing good football, but I primarily support Motherwell to see them win. Results come first, everything above that is a bonus. And I could see your gripe if you were moaning about a defeat, but we beat Falkirk that day, I'm happy to take the win rather than doubting the manner we won it six weeks later.

What's ski racing to do with anything anyway?

very cunning, Foxy. I have heard your like on the terracing, home and away and having followed the 'Well for 50 years I only remember 3 teams that played the way you seem to remember. Football has moved on since "tanner baw" wingers (sorry Bop!) and even the most flamboyant teams like Barca, Real Madrid and Arsenal play a fluent game which allows for tactical changes throughout the team structure. Did you watch Brazil play England? One up! Allowing Kaka the freedom to play.

Hopefully giving our young players success will allow them to learn to play the style of football you want to see and not the "kick and rush" of the juniors.

In JG etc.

Our best points total in how long and you're moaning. You can never please some people. :thumbup:

I'm afraid I think he has a point. On paper our record is good but I've not seen much entertaining football at Fir Park this season and that's the sad truth. In fact most of the performances I've seen this season have been plain dull. Die hards might be happy with points but we aren't going to attract new supporters because frankly its a bore.

We had a good half against Kilmarnock and we did OK, but no more, against Hearts but Falkirk, Hibs, Rangers? You could probably count serious attempts on goal from those matches on one hand.

Most teams in the league are playing what is essentially 4-5-1 and its not good for supporters to watch but its not really a Motherwell problem, more a football problem in general. Basically unless clubs change their tactical set ups then they are going to drive football out of business.

To be fair though, we played some fantastic fooball under Mutley and in a game where we played Dundee United which was 3rd against 4th we could hardly muster 5000 through the turnstyles. I don't think that really has anything to do with it. I think a regular Euro adventure is they way to attract fans. So if 4-5-1 gets us back in to Europe then I'm fine with that.

Could someone please tell me what this lone striker is supposed to do once he has got the ball and is quickly closed down? (we are talking about Motherwell not Liverpool)

Hold the ball up for the midfield to come on to it, flick it out to the wingers and then get into the box where he can score goals. He has managed to get a few recently oh and a player of the month award. :thumbup:

I am of a certain age that I remember what an inside left/right is and a wing half was :doh: and although I would love to see entertaining football played by Motherwell I would rathewr we won 1-0 every week and won the league than lose 5-6 in an entertaining game. Been there seen that lets win ugly or boringly and get into the champions league -_-

The main problem with scottish football being of a poor standard is at kids level. In spain and holland etc kids are judged on there talent and skill. In scotland it seems to be about strength and being a thug. Scotlands national team -thugs like Scott Brown, McManus, Caldwell and others. Spain And holland Xavi,Iniesta and the likes of Van Der Vaart. Small Kids in Scotland are put down!!

I like the ideology of Jim Gannon. He wants to bring in the european style. Passing the ball around and at least trying to play a nice game.

Got to agree with the guy's argument. Time was when teams played 4-2-4 and 4-3-3 then Alf Ramsay came along and won the World Cup with 4-4-2 and people bemoaned this for long enough for only playing 2 forwards. Now we have 4-5-1 (and variations thereon) and are reduced to only 1 forward.

Its difficult (to say the least) to argue against the fact that the accent has now gone firmly to not losing games of football. Yes we all want to see out team winning but surely we want a bit of entertainment too.

Some people do not seem to know the difference between a winger and a fullback who is supposed to run up and down the touchline all day.Davie Cooper was a winger Peter Marinello was a winger Jim o Brien is too although not as good as previous mentioned.Stevie Hammell is not a winger.

So we've only played well in half a game this season. That's good going :lol:

Youse are spoilt, no question about it. Not too long ago we feared the worst for this season but now you have to pick holes cos we're not quite as bad as you expected us to be. Moan for the sake of fucking moaning. Get real for fuck's sake.

So we've only played well in half a game this season. That's good going :lol:

Youse are spoilt, no question about it. Not too long ago we feared the worst for this season but now you have to pick holes cos we're not quite as bad as you expected us to be. Moan for the sake of fucking moaning. Get real for fuck's sake.

It's a miscommunication. Someone said 'wingers' and everyone else thought he said 'whingers'...

fuck sake mate get a grip we could go joint 3rd at the weekend if results go our way and your moaning about us playing 1 up front.weve been playing with 2 wingers this season and 2 attacking full backs in yass and hammell and reynolds has pushed on a lot when hes had to play left back plus the fact weve got a goal scoring midfielder in ross forbes.its hardly negative tactics weve been playing this season

So we've only played well in half a game this season. That's good going :(

:(