Wages

punk_in_drublic

I know its been done to death before (cerainly some of the older previous welltrustfc.net users will know) but i was listening to radio scotland on Saturday and thhe guys on it were talking about Heart's wages.

They were saying (i think it was the McKay fella who used to play for them) that Kingston is on circa £15k while guys like Berra, Driver and Aguiar are in the region of £10k - £12k. I had no idea they were paying guys this much.

It made me realise we are a relatively small club in comparison to a few others in our league. Aberdeens gate on Saturday was 18,000 while Hibs had 12,000. To be competing with these teams week in week out is testamemt to some of the guys we have had on our books recently, such as McCormack, McDonald, Steph Hughes. Looking at transfer talk i would expect we will be scouring the frees etc this window. Does anyone know if we have a wage cap and if so what it is.

There was a newspaper article about the best for value keeper in the paper a few months back, Smith was within the lowest three in terms of pay per year but was in teh top four or so in terms of stops per £.

It is an excellent point, and one worth making and reiterating to folk who think that top six finishes and European jaunts are easily achieveable every year.

Teams in Division One like Dunfermline, Dundee and St Johnstone and no smaller than us, and there but for the grace of God (or league reconstruction!) go we.

I'm not trotting out the old 'punching above our weight' mantra, although in the case of Motherwell FC is it certainly apt. All I mean is that we can't expect success every season, not with our financial limitations.

Pretty sure MOST of our first teamers are on £800 PW - £1500 PW and that is generally our maximum.

Special Requests can be made for 'Outstanding Calibre' of players that comes from JB's pocket - AFAIK both Porter and Hughes are on £4000 PW, again though the majority of that is from JB's back burner. ( :P )

If we sign some random foreign frees the most i reckon we will be offering is £1200 a week, which in the grand scheme of the world is pretty much a very solid wage, around £60K a year- in football terms though this is shite.

I know Dave W (kmcalpin) in particular hates it but in terms of budgets - then we do, as a club, punch above our weight.

For the size of club we have, our average gate, our basic wage, the number of players and staff we have - to have been in the top league for a continuous run over twenty years, to have finished third twice and second once in that time and won a Cup and got to another Final is a superb achievement.

Indeed, only five other clubs in Scotland (Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen) can claim better records and of that, even Hibs (as well as Dundee Utd) have been relegated in that run of time.

Up the 'Well

'Flow

I don't think you can draw a parallel between wages and club size in this instance. There was a story in one of the broad sheets a couple of months ago (The Scotsman I think) which compared wages as a percentage of the clubs income ours was a sensible 45% (ish) The jambos was something like 130% a completely ridiculous and unsustainable situation and just one of the reasons that they are paddle less and up the proverbial brown coloured creek.

I made the point that Motherwell is not even in the top 20 of scotlands biggest towns but manages to sustain a team in the way that it has for all this time.

Theres no way round it, we have been over achieving for years. Of course, when Ravenscraig is up and running that will be a different story :P

I made the point that Motherwell is not even in the top 20 of scotlands biggest towns but manages to sustain a team in the way that it has for all this time.

Theres no way round it, we have been over achieving for years. Of course, when Ravenscraig is up and running that will be a different story :lol:

Lol 2067 ? :P

Believe it or not, in terms of percentage of each towns population who attend games, we're actually the best supported club in the SPL.

As of the last census, around 19% of the population of Motherwell attend Fir Park, which is higher than any other club/city in the league.

I know Dave W (kmcalpin) in particular hates it but in terms of budgets - then we do, as a club, punch above our weight.

For the size of club we have, our average gate, our basic wage, the number of players and staff we have - to have been in the top league for a continuous run over twenty years, to have finished third twice and second once in that time and won a Cup and got to another Final is a superb achievement.

Up the 'Well

Sure, I don't like the phrase Flow, but you're right of course.

Just a point though about Hearts' wage levels. If true, they're a good bit above what I'd heard, but they'd be way above what even Aberdeen or Hibs could fork out. They'd be on a par with lesser lights with the OF. In one word - unsustainable.

FHW - a staggering 121% of their turnover goes on wages. In other words, they will continue to lose money on top of the massive debts they have. Unsustainable, and they WILL be out of business before too long.

ABERDEEN

Turnover: £7.52m

Wages: £5.15m

Wages/Turnover Ratio: 69%

Debt: £11.46m

CELTIC

Turnover: £75.24m

Wages: £36.42m

Wages/Turnover Ratio: 48%

Debt: £9.16m

FALKIRK

Turnover: £3.98m

Wages: £2.31m

Wages/Turnover Ratio: 58%

Debt: None

DUNDEE UNITED

Turnover: £4.01m

Wages: £2.58m

Wages/Turnover Ratio: 64%

Debt:£7.28m

DUNFERMLINE ATHLETIC

Turnover: £5.15m

Wages: £3.34m

Wages/Turnover Ratio: 65%

Debt:£8.92m

HEARTS

Turnover: £10.32m

Wages: £12.49m

Wages/Turnover Ratio: 121%

Debt:£37.57m

HIBERNIAN

Turnover: £9.85m

Wages: £4.06m

Wages/Turnover Ratio: 41%

Debt:£2.88m

INVERNESS CT

Turnover: £2.88m

Wages: £1.35m

Wages/Turnover Ratio: 47%

Debt:£20,000

KILMARNOCK

Turnover: £8.06m

Wages: £3.90m

Wages/Turnover Ratio: 48%

Debt:£11.60m

MOTHERWELL

Turnover: £3.68m

Wages: £2.37m

Wages/Turnover Ratio: 64%

Debt:£0.5m

RANGERS

Turnover: £41.77m

Wages: £24.26m

Wages/Turnover Ratio: 58%

Debt:£16.54m

ST MIRREN

Turnover: £2.96m

Wages: £1.75m

Wages/Turnover Ratio: 59%

Debt:£1.37m

• Source: Price Waterhouse Coopers Annual Review 2008 (Figures from accounts for 2006-07 season)