Keith Lasley

DEWELL

Im just wondering after yesterday's game if it's not time for Lasley to make a return to help bolster our midfield and actually make blocks;tackles and maybe intercept some passes in that area. Everything really that Giles Coke WASN'T doing. We made Kerr look like a good player especially the 2nd half and really we can be thankfull that boy McDonald got sent off [ridiculous decision by the way]. If he hadn't the last 20 mins would've been watched through ma fingers. If we allow United the same space next week we'll get gubbed cos they dont have numptie strikers like Lee Miller. :nod:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im just wondering after yesterday's game if it's not time for Lasley to make a return to help bolster our midfield and actually make blocks;tackles and maybe intercept some passes in that area. Everything really that Giles Coke WASN'T doing. We made Kerr look like a good player especially the 2nd half and really we can be thankfull that boy McDonald got sent off [ridiculous decision by the way]. If he hadn't the last 20 mins would've been watched through ma fingers. If we allow United the same space next week we'll get gubbed cos they dont have numptie strikers like Lee Miller. :nod:

Agree 100%..........Bring back Las !

(Or Jennings)

:doh::lol:

To be honest if Jennings or Lasley come in for a run out at the expense of Forbes or Coke I'd not be unhappy.

Don't think they quite earning untouchable status in fist XI, would like to see if Las still has it, if Jennings can stake a claim and give the other two more impetus to stay on their toes.

Either way whoever starts if we get 3 points next saturday can't really argue.

Forbes' goal return has disguised some very average performances (and his goal return has been boosted by penalties - Richie Foran?). The last time I saw Coke have a really good game was against Rangers. Having said that, both these guys can offer more technique and guile than Lasley and Jennings. Hately has been doing the spadework in the midfield well this season.

However as we went looking for a winner yesterday following Aberdeen's equaliser, the thing that did irritate me was the apparent lack of urgency in the midfield (and indeed throughout the team). What we've seen of Jennings and what we know of Lasley says to me that they would bring some of that urgency. Indeed any urgency that was seen from us yesterday seemed to stem from Jennings after his introduction.

Even outwith the midfield, I find myself wondering what difference a Paul Quinn or David Clarkson would have made in yesterday's game. Players with the real appetite for a battle. While I do appreciate the good possession football we have been playing, we do seem to be lacking just a bit of steely determination. We were missing Hutchison yesterday who brings a bit of that to the table. We had Craigan and Lasley sitting on the bench who can roll their sleeves up and get in about people. For my mind, Aberdeen had possession far too easily yesterday when down to ten men.

Sometimes you have to fight for the right to play your football...

:( Wonderfully put Melvin. As much as I've been impressed with Giles Coke, he doesn't seem to have an urgent bone in his body, which doesn't often help in the last twenty minutes of a game. I don't think Forbes has been hitting the same heights recently, but I do think that might be down to him being burnt out. Quinn and Clarkson are the only two players from last season's exodus I'd welcome back.

Quinn and Clarkson are the only two players from last season's exodus I'd welcome back.

Aye, if only for their will to win. We need to find more characters like them.

On your other point regarding Forbes being burnt out. It does concern me that he should look so jaded in November. I said to someone at the game yesterday that I wished we could cross Fitzpatrick's engine with Forbes' use of the ball. What might hold Forbes' career back is his lack of speed about the field...

I find it funny that everyone now wants Paul Quinn back considering some of the abuse he got last season.

Its also ironic that we want players back considering last years league position and this years.

The thing with Forbes is remember that this is his first season, there are bound to be ups and downs and we lost our shape when he got taken off.

Also remember that when we brought on Jennings we lost the midfield even more against ten men!

Thats not a criticism of Jennings, Gannon is trying to build the teams shape and I believe ultimately Forbes is more of the future than Lasley so lets stick with it and hopefully we will see an improvement as he is still young and he only played his 12TH SPL game v aberdeen.

If we are going to lose patience with our youngsters we will not grow a team in the long run. Not all about the short term.

For me, Forbes albeit relatively slow and lightweight, offers a lot in terms of range of passing, set piece threats etc. He's the kind of midfielder who needs someone with dig and drive beside him to complement his skill set. Coke is pretty decent, would say he's not just as mobile as Lasley or as good as getting 'stuck in' about the opposition, however undoubdtedly offers more of a physical presence and quality of passing. From what I've seen of Jennings, he's got the drive and quality bt down pat, maybe not the same dig as Lasley.

Its your classic swings and roundabouts conundrum really, clearly Gannon thinks Forbes justifies his slot for reasons outlined, Coke is just ahead of Jennings and Lasley in the partnering Forbes stakes. Hately for me, has been our most consistent midfielder in terms of quality and contribution thus far.

Agree with Melvin that we do miss that slight edge that Coach and Clarky brought, arguably not so much their contributions in individual positiions however. Although reading the Mooty thread, some folks beg to differ...

I was really impressed with Jennings and have been a few times this season. Every time he's on he's confident enough to put a foot on the ball and knock off passes. I think he'll be a handy player. I feel a week or two out of the team would benefit Forbes in the long run as well. Coke had a decent game I thought, he's willing to throw himself about as we saw in the build up to the goal. I think fading in the second half had more to do with the fact we had thrown on O'Brien, who while I have a lot of time for him, is a completely different player from Forbes and Coke struggled to adjust a bit.

I actually think that Forbes works better with O'Brien on the left wing as their technical abilities and all round play compliment each other and give us an extra dimension in attack. The sticking point seems to be around who to partner Coke and/or Jennings/Hately.

However, I think it would be useful to have both Hately/Jennings/Coke/Forbes in the team with O'Brien/Murphy in a free-role behind Sutton/Jutkiewicz.

This will probably mean that we would need to have a compact midfield that can switch from defence to attack. However, that also mean we are likely to switch back to 1 up front:

Ruddy

Moutakill Saunders/Craigan Reynolds/Hutchison Hamell/Reynolds

Hately

Coke Jennings Forbes

O'Brien/Murphy

Sutton/Jutkiewicz

This could work well for the next 3 games as we will be up against physical sides (Dundee Utd and Rangers) as well as against Celtic (possession-wise). It doesn't engender as much threat from open play as opposed to say, from set pieces. However, it would mean that we would win the midfield battle and that would mean that we can get width from our over-lapping full-backs (Moutakill and Hamell).

I think Keith Lasley can fit into the Jennings role as well but does seem to be behind him the pecking order at the moment.

On your other point regarding Forbes being burnt out. It does concern me that he should look so jaded in November. I said to someone at the game yesterday that I wished we could cross Fitzpatrick's engine with Forbes' use of the ball. What might hold Forbes' career back is his lack of speed about the field...

Yeah agree with most of what you said, but if you take into account the six Europa League games, Forbes has now played over twenty games this season, the most he's ever notched in one campaign at the highest level he's ever played at, being a bit jaded is understandable. Somewhere with our neat four yard passes there is room for a stronger will to win!

Yeah agree with most of what you said, but if you take into account the six Europa League games, Forbes has now played over twenty games this season, the most he's ever notched in one campaign at the highest level he's ever played at, being a bit jaded is understandable. Somewhere with our neat four yard passes there is room for a stronger will to win!

to be fair though he was blowing out his arse in the last 20 minutes against steaua, in perth and at aberdeen. his fitness is pish.

Somewhere with our neat four yard passes there is room for a stronger will to win!
You are allowed to win by passing the ball about.

Will to win doesn't have to mean running around like a headless chicken and yelling at everybody for 90 minutes. Staying in control of your emotions can lead to better decision making and better results.

Good shout for Lasley's return. However, I too sense Jennings is ahead of him in the pecking order. One of them needs to come in to the starting line up for Saturday. That's 3 games on the trot we've failed to put 10 men to the sword - we may have beaten Hearts but only cos we held out. We are sitting too deep, not tackling in midfield and surrendering possession. I notice Forbes is getting rotated in the starting line up. Is it not time for Coke to be rested too?

Never been a super Lasley fan, dont think he brings anything to the table that Jennings/Forbes/Coke dont.

Paul Quinn? The boy on occasions quite rightly copped it from Well fans. He could defend (at times) but composure, skill and decision making were attributes all missing in my book.

Players from last year that i would take back? Clarkson, Porter and Buzz to explain why he thought Brighton would be a good career move.

and Buzz to explain why he thought Brighton would be a good career move.

A lot of folk down on the South Coast would be delighted to see Smith return home after conceding 20 goals in 5.5 games.

The number of goals conceded does not even begin to tell the story, but he needs to start doing something quickly or he will soon be a forgotten man!

I do believe the main thing we miss about Lasley is that we have no one that closes down space and other players relatively quick. He isn't the greatest player in the world but is certainly valuable and gives his all. Although Coke is a good player I think he tends to be casual at times and is maybe becoming a touch comfortable as it seems Gannon will never drop him. Lasley deserves a look in or Jenno deserves a start.