John Ruddy

DaveTheRave

Was watchin the sheep highlights and after ruddy's first amazin save thought of the amount of points we've gained cause JR has made so many class saves. Aberdeen we could of been beat, Dundee Utd he made tht class triple save, Falkirk aswell. Also despite gettin beaten by St Mirren it could of been worse.

Very glad to see tht bit on the official sayin he'd like to stay.

Marshall and Goram were both outstanding goalkeepers in their prime, but had past it by the time they reached Fir Park IMO.

I never really rated Scott Howie highly - I think a lot of folk over-rated him because he was usually compared with Stevie Woods at the time.

And Francois Dubourdeau shouldn't even be mentioned in this thread.

In my lifetime, I honestly can't remember having as much confidence in our defence and keeper. The defence with the young guys are an obstacle enough to get past, then after that you have Ruddy. Lets hope Ruddy extends then hopefully after that will stay a little longer on freedom of contract!

Well, we can dream can't we!

IMO Gordon Marshall was an excellent goalkeeper for us when he was here and probably was the best we've had in recent times. Despite his age he was very reliable and worked well with the defence, who in turn had a lot of confidence in him.... Craigan's best seasons in his second spell here were in the two that Marshall was in goal, I don't think that's any coincidence.

Marshall was just unfortunate that his worst performance in a Motherwell jersey was the CIS Cup Final which is understandably remembered by most fans more than anything else.

As for Dubourdeau, the only quality he had as a goalkeeper was that he wasn't Stevie Woods.

Doobydoo was immense in that game, but apart from that he was awful. All I can really remember him doing of particular note was letting a Konterman shot go straight through him at Hampden, and trying to decapitate Craig Dargo with his elbow at Rugby Park.

I think there was a fee agreed when the loan move happened, so we should know what we would have to shell out for big Ruuuuddyyyyy!! I will be delighted if we can extend the loan firstly, as other wealthier clubs could well be sniffing around in January.

Signing him long term would be worth it in my view as we'd make a huge profit in selling him on, but I fear it'll come down to bigger wages being offered elsewhere. In that scenario we're screwed, so let's enjoy him for as long as he's in goal for us.