January Transfer Window

WilliePettigrew

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the Lasley/Hammell and JOB/Slane loyalty debate, for me an important fact is that both Lasley and Hammell proved their worth to the team and gave us a good length of service before trying to prove themselves for more money down south. Lasley made over 100 appearances and Hammell over 200 before moving.

I suppose Jim O'brien is in the process of proving his worth to the team by having a good first half of the season but Slane doesnt really have anything to speak of in this department yet, despite looking promising in his 3 games.

You are right Dezz but what the argument is , is that they let their contracts run down and then fucked off just like the two aformentioned.

Cant argue with your argument nethertonwellfan (or Airfinz), i suppose im slightly blinded by the fact Las is one of my fav 'well players....or that im stupidly drunk just now and cant think of a decent response to your post! but anyway, all players whether its Lasley, JOB, Slane or bloody Kaka...they'll all chase the money. End of.

From the BBC gossip pages.....

Blackpool have failed in a £70,000 bid for Motherwell defender Steven Saunders, with the Scottish Premier League club putting a £500,000 price tag on the 18-year-old's head. (Daily Express)

swap the Daily Express for the Daily Star and then you'll realise that this story is made up :rolleyes:

As we are coming to the end of the window, how does everyone feel about the squad at this point in time?

In many ways we have been busy - secured the Everton pair till the end of the season, secured a new management team until the end of the season, ex-Celt midfielder apparently on the way, and one time Motherwell midfielder possibly off to his boyhood heroes.

On the face of it, we don't appear to have strengthened the squad greatly (yet), and will no doubt have to face last minute anguish on whether anyone wants to buy one of our key players (am guessing Reynolds would be the most likely candidate?).

Do we have enough to finish top 6 assuming no more signings/departures?

aye, barring injury. But we're short of good cover in a few places.

We really need a decent right back. We could be doing with a better reserve goalie, and in an ideal world we could also be doing with another decent striker.

Dont think we need another goalie one superb one and one solid one waste of small budget to get any more!

Spot on. I really don't get the Fraser hate on here although Ruddy is not a superb goalkeeper. A very good one but not superb.

Also when was the last time a Motherwell Under 19's keeper became a First Team Keeper and played more than 15 games for us?

Assuming we get Mcglinchey I think the only area we need to strengthen is our striking department. We dont score enough goals imo and Mchugh at theis time isnt suitable backup for three (Strikers)- Murphy isnt an out and out striker. The defense is covered imo. Hutchinson is still to return and Saunders is on the bench and he can play at both centre half and right back and at the moment Hatley is doing very well in that position

I'd like more defensive cover, as I'd be tempted to allow Hutch plenty of time to recover and play a few U-19 games, the same with Saunders who has been short of confidence lately. Both will be fantastic assets to the club but having given them a taste of the first team, I think it's time to remove them from the limelight for a spell.

I hope your way of the mark Melvin, but you might also be right. I still think we might receive an offer for Reynolds though and that could result in some more movement. I'm guessing the loan extentions of Ruddy and the Duke have eaten a little into our wage bill but surely Boyle has saved enough from recent exits to allow a little more strengthening. Some pace on the left would help and whilst we may (injuries permitting) survive the season with what we've got up front, I think there's a big risk in only going in with what we've got.

I know it's futile to throw figures out there but I would not be surprised if our overall squad wage bill has been reduced by as much as 30% over the last year or so.

Still think we have the potential to lose Reynolds and O'Brien. Obviously Slane as well too. Now as capable as I think Hateley is at RB, I'd like someone in to fill that role and another striker would be good. Sutton and Murphy have been a bit hit and miss all season. Keeping Lukas and Ruddy till May, hopefully getting McGlinchy in February, Hutch coming back to fitness, and getting another striker and defender in would be a good window. Even if we did lose the above three.