Billy Davies

GaribaldiRed

Hello 'Well fans,

As you may have heard, we've installed Billy Davies as our new manager. A lot of Forest fans are underwhelmed, a bit worried about his reputation for falling out with players and for the style of play of his Derby team (Steve Howard et al). I think this is possibly an overreaction on the part of these fans - they're worried he's going to be another Gary Megson, whose dystopian interpretation of the game was disastrous for the club. As I understand it, Davies was a not long ball man when at Preston.

I'm interested to know about his earlier days as a manager. I know he took you into Europe but that quite a bit was spent on transfer fees and wages and that you went into administration not longer after he left. What do you think we can expect, personality-wise and in terms of the style of football?

Looks like you are struggling a bit this season. Hope you are still a Premier league club for the rest of 2009.

The guy has the potential to be an excellent manager. He has spent a long time researching and studying the methods of top European clubs, and knows how he wants the game to be played.

The biggest problem he has appears to be dealing with the Board. At his last two clubs he has fallen out with the Chairmen because he didn't get exactly what he wanted, exactly when he wanted it.

Similarly, when he was being touted for the Scotland job, he basically talked himself out of it before he was even interviewed, by mouthing off about what a poor job the SFA were doing, and what would need to be changed before he deemed it worthy of consideration.

If he can keep that side of his ego in check, he could do well at Forest. He certainly likes his teams to play a bit of football, which should suit your club.

Best of luck now that you have got rid of that arse Calderwood. His comments about Phil O'Donnell won't ever be forgotten up here.

Davies was completely untried when we appointed him, did all right though was a bit out of his depth I felt and could've done with a job or two before us. He never actually took us into Europe, almost did but we lost out narrowly on the last day of the season despite giving then champions Rangers their only away defeat of the whole season at Fir Park. Personally I liked him, always had time to talk to you.

What do you think we can expect, personality-wise and in terms of the style of football?

Football wise, he played with two wingers with us. Personality-wise, he's miles better than that ignorant c**t Colin Calderwood who - if he ever shows his fucking mug in Motherwell again - will be getting a right good bleaching. Delighted he's out of a job.

I like Davies although he seems to have an ego. If i remember correctly he felt it was poor that the SFA wanted to interview cadiates for the Scotland job, his view that was that they knew all they neeeded to know about the guys on the shortlist. In my opinion thats balls because they needed to speak face to face, get an idea of plans, motivations, aspirations etc.

I think he will do ok with Forest. I would echo the comments made about Calderwood.

Davies played with two wingers here in an almost 4 2 4 formation when going forward.

With one season as an exception the Davies years were mostly dire.

He probably had more money to spend than any other Motherwell manager in history and the net result was no success and escape from relegation by the skin of our teeth.

It was his first job and I don't doubt he has improved over time, his record in England isn't bad at all, but his time at Motherwell was a waste of time and money.

Also worth remembering that Davies was probably the least liked manager in my time as a supporter. Even McLeish and Malpas didn't get the abuse from the East Stand that Davies got in his last couple of seasons.

I think its a good appointment for you Garibaldi.

The guy seems to have the knowledge and ability to comfortably deal with turning around ailing Championship sides. The Premier League? That remains to be seen in the longer term doesn't it?

As for his time at Fir Park, here's his profile >>>>> Billy Davies Profile up to around the time he left Preston for Derby....

Good appointment for you IMHO, but will he be able to save you from the drop.

Was given the job at Fir Park too early I reckon, and didn't actually take us into Europe nor was he in any way responsible for our tango with Administration.

I thought he did a good job at PNE, and took Derby up afterall then was given no money whatsoever to consolidate their top flight place.

A great wee player in his day and one of the game's genuine good guys.

Best of luck to him, and Forest.

Billy Davie's first game in charge of Motherwell....

17th October 1998

St Johnstone 5 (1) - 0(0)Motherwell

O'Boyle 39

Kernaghan 53

Simao 62

O'Boyle 85

Dods 88

St Johnstone: Main ,McQuillan ,Preston ,Dasovic ,Kernaghan ,O'Neil (Lowndes ,73 ) ,O'Boyle ,Kane ,Bollan ,Dods ,Simao (McMahon ,71)

Subs not used: Grant,Griffin,Allan Ferguson,

Motherwell: Woods ,McGowan (Craigan ,66 ) ,Ian Ross ,Valakari ,McClair (Matthaei ,45 ) ,Coyle ,Doesburg ,Stirling (McCulloch ,56 ) ,Teale ,Nevin ,Adams

Subs not used Kaven,Ramsay,

Bookings: Adams ,Doesburg ,Teale (Motherwell)

Attendance: 4062

Referee: John Rowbotham (Scotland)

And his second.........

28th October 1998

Motherwell 1 (0) - 0(0)Rangers

Spencer 55

Motherwell: Kaven ,McMillan ,McGowan ,Brannan ,Valakari ,Coyle ,Christie ,Doesburg ,Teale ,Adams (McCulloch ,66 ) ,Spencer (Nevin ,76)

Subs not used: Woods,May,Ramsay,

Rangers: Charbonnier ,Porrini ,Amoruso ,Ferguson ,Kanchelskis ,Van Bronckhorst ,Albertz (Durie ,45 ) ,Wallace ,Johansson (Ferguson ,60 ) ,Vidmar (Numan ,45 ) ,Hendry

Subs not used Mark Brown,Wilson,

Bookings: Christie (Motherwell) Amoruso ,Ferguson ,Van Bronckhorst (Rangers)

Attendance: 11777

Referee: Eric Martindale (Scotland)

Used to laugh at his post match interviews when he was our manager and we'd been gubbed he'd come out with the classic....We'll need to work very very hard. Im not convinced in him and was glad he ruled himself out the Scotland job. As for signing John Davies then having a go at us when we booed him saying it was because he was a relative??? :lol: .