Jim O'Brien

DEWELL

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never thought about Jim when the team and subs were announced at the game yesterday ,it wasn't till after the game I wondered about his omission .He is certainly a better guitarist than a football player no doubts about that whatsoever, and I have every confidence that he will go on and become a Dons legend like that great double act Adams and Craig who left Motherwell a few years ago and bettered themselves no end. As they say in showbiz Jim break a leg.

He's definitely away, so why keep playing him?

Why not give someone else a game who wants to be here.

He had a great start to the season but he's not been the same since Mutley talked about him in the press. And to be honest if talk aboot moving to Aberdeen is going to his head then there is clearly something wrong.

He's definitely away, so why keep playing him?

Why not give someone else a game who wants to be here.

He had a great start to the season but he's not been the same since Mutley talked about him in the press. And to be honest if talk aboot moving to Aberdeen is going to his head then there is clearly something wrong.

You play your best team. O'Brien has probably been our player of the season so far, or at least until a couple of weeks ago he dropped to the bench, made two poor sub appearances and then dropped out completely.

If, if being the important word, O'Brien can play to the level he had been before being 'unsettled' then he should play.

Remember Scott McDonald played on in the team after signing a pre-contract with Celtic and even although lots of fans wanted him out the side he scored the goals that basically kept us up that season.

You don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

Remember Scott McDonald played on in the team after signing a pre-contract with Celtic and even although lots of fans wanted him out the side he scored the goals that basically kept us up that season.

Not disagreeing with you there.

If O'Brien was still playing at the level he was earlier in the season then put him in the team. But he's been rotten recently, and it's coincided with all the Aberdeen talk,which would suggest he would rather be there.

Shades of Pearo when all the Celtic talk picked up round about the same time in the season and he hardly started another game after that either.

You play your best team. O'Brien has probably been our player of the season so far, or at least until a couple of weeks ago he dropped to the bench, made two poor sub appearances and then dropped out completely.

If, if being the important word, O'Brien can play to the level he had been before being 'unsettled' then he should play.

mcdonald didnt sign a pre contract with celtic we sold him for 750k i think he still had a year on his contract with us before he left.if o'brien has indicated that hes offski then he should be nowhere near the team imo

If O'brien was going to score us even half the goals or do half as much good attacking work as McDonald was giving us then get him in the team.

That after 2 years a good game is hitting a shot within a foot past the post or winning a foul says it all.

His goal scoring and assist records are there for all to see (entire career if you need further convincing) That stands up against these mythical matches where he's been terrorising opposition defences as far as im concerned.

Has be been missed ? Has he what , Murphy gives us more going forwards.

Lets see where he ends up , more fool Aberdeen if they take him on and i'll be surprised if they do.

McDonald had signed for Celtic before the end of the season though.

I'm sure it was a good few games before the split that the deal was done.

i remember mcdonald going in the huff when we turned down a bid from rangers in the january so he hadny agreed to sign for celtic at that point.wasnt martin oneill leaving celtic in the summer so id be surprised if mcdonald had agreed anything with celtic before strachan took over.thats what i thought had happened mate i could be wrong though

<br />Not disagreeing with you there.<br /><br />If O'Brien was still playing at the level he was earlier in the season then put him in the team. But he's been rotten recently, and it's coincided with all the Aberdeen talk,which would suggest he would rather be there.<br /><br />Shades of Pearo when all the Celtic talk picked up round about the same time in the season and he hardly started another game after that either.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Are we not talking something like three sub appearances since that speculation came out? I didn't see him against Hibs but seemingly just about everyone was terrible and the two previous games against Aberdeen and Utd I didn't think he was that terrible, not brilliant or at his best but hardly disgraced himself either. I reckon in the context of Gannon's stranges subs and how those games turned out alongside the impression that he is off has coloured peoples perceptions. Not saying he actually played really well but up until Gannon dropped him to the bench he was a fairly consistent and useful performer.

If he has said he away or wants to then I don't blame Gannon for not picking him, but unless he's made that overtly clear I wouldn't have dropped him in the first place it only added fuel to the fire. Or even if he had and Gannon wanted to get more out of him he should have stuck by him until the performances tailed off, not drop him and then watch his form start go as he gets asked to take Forbes role off the bench.

We'll get by with out him as he isn't that good but our loss will be someone elses gain until we get someone in to replace him as we've certainly started to look a weaker team in recent weeks. I'm curious to see how muc hthe team is going to change again in January.

<br /><br /><br />

as we've certainly started to look a weaker team in recent weeks. I'm curious to see how muc hthe team is going to change again in January.

We are playing better teams to be fair but i disagree anyway , first half against Aberdeen for example i thought we were as good as we had been this season.

I challenge someone to tell me what we'll miss (have been missing) with O'Brien out the team

Met Jim last night, he's a top notch guy! In my opinion, jim is one of the few players who add some flair to the team. seen him a few times this season, and he's the player i hope gets the ball the most! he may not be not be the best for goal return or assists, but he's certainly the most enjoyable to watch. Say no to the sheep shaggers!

Met Jim last night, he's a top notch guy! In my opinion, jim is one of the few players who add some flair to the team. seen him a few times this season, and he's the player i hope gets the ball the most! he may not be not be the best for goal return or assists, but he's certainly the most enjoyable to watch. Say no to the sheep shaggers!

Maybe we could sign Rob Walters to replace him then eh ?

Sums it up for me , good guy , tries hard , can play a guitar - surprised all the above wasnt enough to see him win the MOTM award for Saturday on here.

Goals , assists , general effectiveness in the job he is supposed to be doing , er um , well

Maybe we could sign Rob Walters to replace him then eh ?

Sums it up for me , good guy , tries hard , can play a guitar - surprised all the above wasnt enough to see him win the MOTM award for Saturday on here.

Goals , assists , general effectiveness in the job he is supposed to be doing , er um , well

even if he hasnt been playing well, i still think he would be eventually missed when all this dies down. But i agree it would help make way for more players, one of them being darren smith! anyone know when he's expected back?

i remember mcdonald going in the huff when we turned down a bid from rangers in the january so he hadny agreed to sign for celtic at that point.wasnt martin oneill leaving celtic in the summer so id be surprised if mcdonald had agreed anything with celtic before strachan took over.thats what i thought had happened mate i could be wrong though

Yeah that's right, it wasn't long after Rangers approach. O'Neill had already left though, that would have been half way through Strachan's 1st season, IIRC. I think it was round about March they signed him. We had still to play Celtic before the split that season and Malpas wouldn't play him in the game because he had already signed with them.

They did the same thing with Scott Brown after the split when they had still to play Hibs after the split, but Hibs let Brown play and he scored the winner.

O'Brien has not played with the flair he did earlier in the season. Like Forbes and Coke, he deserves to be rested. However, everything said here about him being affected by Aberdeen speculation is speculation in itself. Maybe I'm just speculating here, but Jimbo could be affected by folk speculating about speculation.

Whatever, I hope he comes back to the team soon.