Gannon's Tactics

dinho80

We've been doing it all season but haven't conceded from it so it's no a really a concern for me (yet). I think we've lost that bit of creativity lately which has meant it's seemed pretty pointless but I do believe there is a purpose to it. When all the guys are on their game then it makes sense to play it from the back, draw out the opposition and wait for the spaces to open up. It's just one of these things that the players who are integral to that haven't been great of late.

Edit: What yer suggestion instead dinho80? Humpin up the park won't work unless we've got Sutton on to win it, even at that we're limited with what he can do once he has the ball.

i'd say most goals in the spl are scored by either putting opposition defenders under consistent pressure near their own goal forcing them into mistakes or happen when the play changes and players are caught out of position. if we can go to parkhead and hold our shape for a clean sheet any team in the spl can do it to us.

i don't neccesarily think we need sutton to play long balls. we used to have success playing long balls to down the channels to mcdonald and clarkson, they used intelligent movement to get in behind players. it also must be a hard shift for saunders, reynolds and hutch having to defend when we don't have ball and do the majority of the work when we do have it.

All i sugest is we mix it up a bit a long ball up the park wouldnt hurt now and again,We seem to get ourselves in a bit of a fankle when ruddy keeps playing it short.

Yeah you're right, we do. Thing is though, what Gannon is trying to instill is an instinctive way of playing. A culture if you like. He's not trying to apply tactics in games here, he's trying to ingrain a natural way of thinking in players. The changes he's trying to make takes a couple of years at a club, until it becomes second nature and the players know what they should be doing in any given situation. Until that time, it's just gonna have to be accepted that it's going to be very very patchy and sometimes won't work at all.

You can't undo 2 generations of the car-crash that passes for kids football coaching in Scotland, in 5 months. The work being done at Motherwell isn't supposed to reap rewards just now, it's with a view to where we want to be in 2/3 seasons time. We are very much a work in progress at the moment...this season is a tiny part of what Gannon is trying to do, and as long as we don't suffer in the meantime then it's fantastic for everyone. It doesn't look like we will, and so therefore all things considered Jim Gannon is doing an exemplary job as Motherwell manager, going way beyond what he'd have to do if it was merely about having and keeping his job. He really is changing our club, but it seems some people won't see that until 2012-ish, when they can look back over what he's done, and see the results, effects and benefits rather than the ideas and the work.

Dunno if anyones noticed, but how tremendous is it having a striker that when a high ball is played, prefers to retain the ball other than head it too no one.

Hateley has been shite recently and thats why the tactics dont work. Meechan looks like a player and the fact that Gannon has the confidence to play these young guys in this 'new' formation is great.

I think we need to get back to basics though, some c**t have a shot from outside the box. We've been doign it less thus scoring less goals. Thats more annoying than defenders loosing possesion.

Yeah you're right, we do. Thing is though, what Gannon is trying to instill is an instinctive way of playing. A culture if you like. He's not trying to apply tactics in games here, he's trying to ingrain a natural way of thinking in players. The changes he's trying to make takes a couple of years at a club, until it becomes second nature and the players know what they should be doing in any given situation. Until that time, it's just gonna have to be accepted that it's going to be very very patchy and sometimes won't work at all.

You can't undo 2 generations of the car-crash that passes for kids football coaching in Scotland, in 5 months. The work being done at Motherwell isn't supposed to reap rewards just now, it's with a view to where we want to be in 2/3 seasons time. We are very much a work in progress at the moment...this season is a tiny part of what Gannon is trying to do, and as long as we don't suffer in the meantime then it's fantastic for everyone. It doesn't look like we will, and so therefore all things considered Jim Gannon is doing an exemplary job as Motherwell manager, going way beyond what he'd have to do if it was merely about having and keeping his job. He really is changing our club, but it seems some people won't see that until 2012-ish, when they can look back over what he's done, and see the results, effects and benefits rather than the ideas and the work.

Shut up Al you're being too sensible :rolleyes:

Dunno if anyones noticed, but how tremendous is it having a striker that when a high ball is played, prefers to retain the ball other than head it too no one.

Hateley has been shite recently and thats why the tactics dont work. Meechan looks like a player and the fact that Gannon has the confidence to play these young guys in this 'new' formation is great.

I think we need to get back to basics though, some c**t have a shot from outside the box. We've been doign it less thus scoring less goals. Thats more annoying than defenders loosing possesion.

We've been doing it a lot more this season than what we did last season. We've just no created enough chances as I can't think of a keeper other than Cerny who we have played this season who has had more than 1 or 2 very good saves to make against us. Coke's one of the worst culprits for not shooting when he gets in a good position.

we're 9/12 for total shots and 10/12 for shots on target.

a word of warning for saturday is that st johnstone are joint third with hibs for total shots and have had 43 more shots than us over the season so far.

They have scored only one more goal than us so we must be more prolific then. They have 4 points less than us and they still have celtic, Dundee United and Hibs to play for a second time so I don't think they stats make a difference. The league table is the only one that counts.

Yeah cos your the bestest Motherwell fan ever. You never slag the team or the merchandise cos your superwellfan. Steve Diggle..the best Motherwell fan ever :D

Thanks mate. :P

However if things were truly as bad as some folk made out there would be no point in getting up in the morning.

Falkirk have been trying to do something similar to Gannon for a few seasons and it just hasn't worked for them. Lots of nice passing, hardly any goals and bundles of defeats. Even John Hughes admitted that in order to survive in the league he had to change the tactics in the last part of the season and go more direct.

My fear about Gannon is that he isn't tactically flexible enough. He gets an idea and he goes with it even when it doesn't work and he won't change his stance.

I'm also a bit worried about him using the club as a sort of experimentation lab where he can test out his footballing theories regardless of where it leaves the club.

Gannon must not lose sight of his priorities which should be in the following order; 1) to win as many games as possible, 2) to entertain the fans.

Anything else should be a byproduct of the first two.

I fear however that his philosophy in the game will never quite come to fruition at Fir Park because either he will move on or we will get embroiled in a battle towards the bottom of the table.

I suspect and fear that you are probably spot on with both points raised above............

I would be happy to go along with the Gannon philosophy if I genuinely thought he would be here for a reasonably longish spell - in otherwords 3 years minimum. But the fans (including myself) will lose patience if we play nice passing football, yet lose to St J, Hearts and Hamilton who are doing what it takes to win a game of football in the SPL.

I would like to think that Jim will have the balls and determination to stay at Motherwell and complete the job he has started - only then will he become a good manager IMHO.

In otherwords we are unlikely to have any Manager for longer than 2 years these days. Either they will do a good job and then move on or they will do a crap job and get the bullet :O

Bought the book Motherwell FC Miscellany in Waterstones in Edinburgh the other day - Good read. One stat that surprised me - I have been supporting Motherwell since 1973/4. MFC had 4 managers from 1911 to 1973 yet have had 16 since then..............

Realise this won't be popular but to my eye Gannons game was working a treat until the fallout with O'Brien - easily the most important event of our season.

O'Brien was the only player with the technicality to receive the ball from the comfortable passing about the backline/deep-midfield phase, and take us into more dangerous and pressurised positions. He was brilliant for this early season and made us a dangerous and watchable team. Now we pass it about the back, and whoever receives it in more advanced positions either loses it or gives it back to the defence, and we put ourselves under constant pressure.

Only hope we can replace him, and although I don't doubt Slane has great talent going forward he has not got this element to his game.

Realise this won't be popular but to my eye Gannons game was working a treat until the fallout with O'Brien - easily the most important event of our season.

O'Brien was the only player with the technicality to receive the ball from the comfortable passing about the backline/deep-midfield phase, and take us into more dangerous and pressurised positions. He was brilliant for this early season and made us a dangerous and watchable team. Now we pass it about the back, and whoever receives it in more advanced positions either loses it or gives it back to the defence, and we put ourselves under constant pressure.

Only hope we can replace him, and although I don't doubt Slane has great talent going forward he has not got this element to his game.

There is something to this but I don't think its the full picture.

Take the Aberdeen game for instance which was the first match O'Brien was dropped.

I thought we'd suffer for dropping O'Brien but actually I thought we played pretty well in the first half. We didn't get three points because of some baffling tactical decisions by Gannon including taking off Forbes for O'Brien which at the time was completely unwarranted and which had a big negative effect on the side.

Recently I think you can also say that generally we've started matches fairly well but suffered second half collapses and O'Brien has usually come on in the second half.

But I agree O'Brien was probably our best player this season up to being dropped and is one of the more important players at the club when he's on form, I just don't think he's so important that you can explain the recent dip in form on his exclusion from the starting eleven.

i don't think there's been much change in our form it's just been that luck hasn't been with us the way it was earlier in the season.

st johnstone - forbes scores a screamer, deuchar misses an empty net.

dundee united - dillon goes insane and gifts us a pen, ruddy makes triple save

falkirk - we get an OG, arfield's chip looks in all the way but hits the bar.

celtic - they miss two free headers

accies - another wonder goal and a late equaliser through defending that bad an accies player booted his own teamate.

we were very much living on the edge and when you're creating so few chances it doesn't take much to go against you before you're in a spot of bother.