How Did You End Up Supporting 'well?

rightdodgyman

I actually used to be a Smellic fan until I went to Kilbowe when I was at primary and I came back a Motherwell fan.One of my teachers who was there was Mark Reynolds' brother.I had been going to all the home game that season.The first ever 'Well game I went to wwas in the Malpas season when we played Hearts at Fir Park and we were beaten 1-0.I wasn't a 'Well fan at the time.It was at the end of Mark McGhee's first season that I became an offical fan.Now I never miss a home game and I have just got my first ''Half'' Season Ticket.My dads a die-hard Smellic fan and my mums a die-hard Rangers fan so I had to get out of that battle. :P

Old Man 1st took me along in the mid-60's. Bobby Howit was the manager and Willie McCallum was the last of the Ancel Babes. No idea who we played in that 1st game but I will never forget the experience of walking thru the main stand concourse and up the steps to see inside the arena that was Fir Park for the 1st time. It took my breath away, and I've been hooked ever since. :P

Did help growing up in Manse Road and then Dalzell Ave, and going to Knowetop then Dalziel. Most folks supported the 'Well then.

Just as the topic says... how did you end up supporting Motherwell? I'm guessing a lot of you were just dragged along by your old man like me. I think my first game was Dundee Utd at home in the 91-92 season and I canne remember a thing to be honest.

Sorry if the topics been done before!

:P

I did it ages ago, and some of the stories were really good, much more than the tale most of us tell when speaking of allegiances i.e. "me dad said".

I'm not a proper of fan of course, but I married one of you and took an interest. End of story :P

My dad was a big Well fan and took me to my first game when I was only one year old.

I obviously have no memory of the game and slept through most of it. (Nothing changes!)

My first proper match would have been when I was around three or four years old but I couldn't tell you who our opponents where. We used to travel on the Forth, Lanark & Carluke Motherwell supporters bus. Hailing from 'The Forth', I used to get first choice of seat on our 'luxury' Tennant Coach. :P

This would have been in the mid 1960's when we wore what is still my favourite ever Well strip.

14nfv9k.jpg

Don't actually know why I was taken to a Motherwell game, but my dad took me one night and expected me to hate it. I loved it, but he was losing interest in football and didn't see why I would want to go. I started tagging along with my uncles and have been hooked ever since and still enjoy their banter at Fir Park every home game.

Family have always been Well fans going back to my Dad, Grandad, Great-Grandad etc. etc. I'm just following the family line. Entire family are Well fans and I've converted a few mates along the way as well.

When I was about 7 I remember trying to support the h**s as I was sick of Motherwell getting beaten every week. But my heart wasn't in it and I lasted about one game then I was back on the righteous path. Thank fuck.

I just remember the buzz of going to the old Fir Park when it was all terracing, walking around to the other end at half time, wagon wheels, cheesy crisps, guys walking around the park selling food etc. Early floodlit games just seems to be so exciting when you were a kid. Then started to going to all home and away games especially when we had been relegated. The rest is history - of lots of ups and downs. But so so glad that I am a Well fan and not a supporter of one of the gruesome twosome.

MTID..

Moved to Hamilton in 1969 when I was a nipper. My dad was raised a Falkirk fan, but wanted to take us to see a local team. The top 2 choices were Motherwell or Accies (who at the time were in the process of running up the lowest number of points in the history of the First Division).

Bobby Howitt was the manager at the time, and his son was in my brother's class at school. That made him more interested in 'Well than Accies so I'm told (I don't remember), and the rest is history.

Motherwell is all I ever knew as a kid.

All I really remember from my first game is my dad making me wear 2 pair of trousers because it was baltic and I always had the cold as a nipper.

Game was against Aberdeen, pretty sure Jess and Bett scored in a 2nil defeat. Jan 89 apparently?

First away game sticks in my mind cleary, Ayr United in the Cup and we were sitting in the main stand with mostly ayr fans. Brian Martin getting us a 1-1 draw, Ally Graham scored a belter IIRC.

My Dad was a Rangers fan from Lanark, but converted to the 'Well when he moved here and married my Mother, her family were all 'Well fans. He was involved in the Fir Park club for years and helped found Fir Park Boys Club in 1968. My Mother worked in the club office for over 20 years until she retired. Because of this, I was in and around the club a lot in my younger years.

Lots of family connections to the club, so I didn't really have much choice, and I am so glad that was the case. Had many, many great years as a 'Well fan and wouldn't change it for the world.

My son is now 14 and is probably a bigger 'Well fan than I ever was. I never had any fears that he would ever go over to the dark side.

i started following the well,out of spite.my family all rangers supporters.dad took me to sit in main stand when we played rangers,i started to shout for well,really pi@@ed off my dad.that was 36 years ago,have followed well ever since.in football terms still blacksheep of family.but as i tell them,no other team worth supporting. :D

my dad to take me, we used to go on the supporters buses as well it was great,

he also took my wee sister to a game thinking she wouldn't like it but we scored a scrappy goal and she said that wasn't a goal then we scored a net buster and she turned and said "that's a goal !" the rest is history and she takes a bigger huff than me when we get beat :D

Born and Bred Lutonian (but still a proud Scotsman!!!), who started following 'Well when I was about 7 after I noticed my namesake Bobby Russell in my first panini album (86/87 I think) that my old man bought for me. He is an Inverkeithing-born Jambo and my brother is a Pars fan. My first game was when the 'Well came down here to play Baldock Town and even though we had the likes of Coyne and Van der Gaag playing, I remember we made quite a meal out of it in the first half.

I've always preferred playing football as to watching it. When i was younger all my mates were Gers fans and my first top was a Rangers top bought by my cousins boyfriend at the time. From the age of 5 I went to atleast 5 games a season with my Grandpa, Aunt and Uncle. Got a schools season ticket for the 02-03 season I think it was and I've been going ever since, this is the first year I've not had a season ticket but im getting a 'half' season ticket.

Basically I'm a fan because they're my local team.