How Much Longer Will Jim Gannon Stay?

El Grew

As I 've said on a few previous posts, I'm for Jim Gannon staying at FP to continue building a squad and a team because he's a breath of fresh air to us in particular and Scottish football in general.

However, I've always felt that there were two things a manager should never do or he would be living on borrowed time - have a go at the supporters or have a go at the players in public.

Well, I'm wondering if JG perhaps crossed the rubicon yesterday with hs post match comments about the players. I must admit he did sound really downhearted when he was interviewed (and this is not always a good thing to do straight after a game when emotions are still high) and lamented that it doesn't seem to matter how much coaching and training he does with the players they are basically poor players. Now, what he says might be true but surely saying it live on radio is hardly going to get the dressing room behind him?

Do you think perhaps he's had enough and is he looking for the exit door?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it is in his nature to be looking for the exit door. He strikes me as a proud man and a man of his word. I think he will want to stay to see the job through in the way he wants. I think with Gannon what you see is what you get. His comments weren't mainstream and were wrong. However, I don't think he will change. It's his way or the highway and and afterall he is the manager. Anyway the next few months are going to be interesting and the proverbial rollercoaster is being warmed up. Let's hope by March we are comfortable top six and we will look back on these threads and laugh.

Keep The Faith

I think its pretty clear Gannon does not have Motherwell at the top of his priority list.

All this talk about long term plans are a bit ridiculous considering he has supposedly been for interviews with other clubs.

It is a fact, many players in the dressing room do not get on with Gannon. Why would players want to play under a manager who they do not like or who talks them down?

Jim Gannon is about the standard of manager we are going to get at best, however all this talk on here about him being a saviour is pish!

I don't think it is in his nature to be looking for the exit door. He strikes me as a proud man and a man of his word. I think he will want to stay to see the job through in the way he wants. I think with Gannon what you see is what you get. His comments weren't mainstream and were wrong. However, I don't think he will change. It's his way or the highway and and afterall he is the manager. Anyway the next few months are going to be interesting and the proverbial rollercoaster is being warmed up. Let's hope by March we are comfortable top six and we will look back on these threads and laugh.

Keep The Faith

He's a relatively young man and younger manager. It would be in his and our best interests if he spent a bit of time reflecting on his own performance sooner rather than later. I hope that his comments yesterday don't result in wholescale player changes - never mind top six I think rebuilding a team from scratch from Jan onwards is a recipe for relegation. When Gannon goes onto other things I will still be a Motherwell fan and I don't want Well just to be a learning experience for him which resulted in Div 1 for us.

It's impossible to say what Gannon will do in terms of staying or going. I'm also wary of 'rumours' about his relationship with players behind the scenes.

Better to stick to what we actually know about - the teams performances and the managers tactics - anything else is just speculation.

However, if anyone knows the length of Gannon's contract I'd like to know. I'm almost sure at the time he signed a one year contract, as I remember it my eyebrows were raised by the length of contract announced in the media when he first came to the club but I've been unable to find any details on the web from a reputable source to confirm or deny that.

I think its pretty clear Gannon does not have Motherwell at the top of his priority list.

All this talk about long term plans are a bit ridiculous considering he has supposedly been for interviews with other clubs.

It is a fact, many players in the dressing room do not get on with Gannon. Why would players want to play under a manager who they do not like or who talks them down?

Jim Gannon is about the standard of manager we are going to get at best, however all this talk on here about him being a saviour is pish!

:wacko: SSSSHHHHHH! you're not allowed to mention his exit thoughts/plans

Because they are supposed to be PROFFESIONALS , they are being paid a shit load of money each week to do what is probably most of the people who post on heres' dream job.

Because they are supposed to be PROFFESIONALS , they are being paid a shit load of money each week to do what is probably most of the people who post on heres' dream job.

Exactly .... I detest my line manager, but I still put a shift in else it would impact on my colleagues and there is no I in team imho. Besides I have my pride to think about.

Surely Pro players should have that same work ethic.

I think he could be away shortly.

I think Gannon may have done so well at Stockport because of the emotional tie he had to the club and community. At Motherwell though, it strikes me that he has no fire in his belly.

I do believe that he thinks about the game in the correct manner and I'm greatful to have seen so many yopungsters introduced to the first team but things are quickly turning sour. I think Gannon may have realised that he doesn't want to stay with Motherwell for 3/4 years and is therefore ready to chuck in the towel with regards to establishing a long term future for the club.

Really confused with all this Gannon leaving nonsense!

People seem determined to read into everything,why the paranoia?

We lie at the right end of table half way through a season which we thought would consist of boys playing for our club!

We lost a fair few players which we regarded to be very good!

We brought in a manager who we thought at the time was a master stroke by Boyle!

We lie above teams that in the last few years we have been battling against to stay up!

We have had a few bad results in the last few weeks! It happened last season it will happen again!

Give the guy a break!

I work in a team, and tend to understand why things have to be done a certain way, for the benefit of the department and the service delivery and so on. There are team members who do their own thing, despite being asked to work in a specific way, with the result that mugs like me have to do THEIR job too(on occasions). Our Chief can be a pain sometimes, but she gets paid to do her job, which involves making sure we do ours. No matter how many times folks are reminded to certain things within a time scale, no matter how many times we're reminded to work towards targets, no matter how many times we are encouraged to work within an acceptable clinical style, there are staff who interpret instruction differently(basically they won't do as their asked). I imagine Jim Gannon may have similar issues at present. He knows what is successful, (he has a track record...no??). You can take horses to water and all that...

It's quite amazing reading this as history is repeating itself so accurately.

When at Stockport he initially kept us in the FL with an immediate return of results. When he then started to build the squad he did an awful lot of tinkering. During this period of a few months results were a bit indifferent and he started to get some stick. In the meantime he spoke out about the standard of refereeing, he fell out with players (who continued to play for him by the way), he critisised the sponsors choices of MOTM, he argued with supporters behind the dug-outs etc etc.

What JG was doing was testing and trying players, pushing them to see if they could play maybe more than just their own position, pushing their ability. In time it worked. What we finished with was a young team that played the most fantastic football whilst being able to constantly change formations leaving the opposition completely baffled as to how to stop us. The only way was to kick us, which happened on a few occasions. Managers often admitted they could not cope with the tactic changes during games, or with the pace and skill that was produced by such a young side. This may happen for Motherwell. I'd stick with him and support his decisions if i were you but that's based on our experience with Jim as manager.

I must admit i was suprised at him moving up there. It just happened so suddenly after he had apparently agreed a deal to stay with us and take a pay-cut, which is what he wanted. Next minute the consortium was gazumped and he was made redundant in the strangest circumstances. I also believe he has been reported to have said that he has 'unfinished business' at County.

I have continued to follow JG's career and it is quite odd to hear his interviews in the media as it is deja-vu like.

Have you any idea who he is meant to have had talks with?

Its all about attitude. McGhee for his faults always encouraged his team no matter what was happening. Whether it was right team or not was debatable. Gannon does not seem to have has much encouragement in his nature. Even when he is prowling round the edge of his technical area there is less being said. However retracting and sitting on your arse is very negative body language. When it is out of character and he looks disinterested it is hardly surprising people are speculating.

Its all about attitude. McGhee for his faults always encouraged his team no matter what was happening. Whether it was right team or not was debatable. Gannon does not seem to have has much encouragement in his nature. Even when he is prowling round the edge of his technical area there is less being said. However retracting and sitting on your arse is very negative body language. When it is out of character and he looks disinterested it is hardly surprising people are speculating.

I have to say, Jim was always very vocal during the games and was always stood. Towards the end we noticed he started leaning against the dug-out and saying nothing. It was completely out of character. Then it started to break that there were off-field problems that resulted in administration. It is definitely not like him if he's mute and sat down!

McGhee for his faults always encouraged his team no matter what was happening. of character and he looks disinterested it is hardly surprising people are speculating.

McGhee publicly spoke about the need to bring in another defender because he couldnt change it amongst the personnel within the club.

He also went for any job going, publicly. The apathy that his attitude brought on is clear to see in Mark's second season.

McGhee publicly spoke about the need to bring in another defender because he couldnt change it amongst the personnel within the club.

He also went for any job going, publicly. The apathy that his attitude brought on is clear to see in Mark's second season.

Sorry I meant during the 90 minutes of a game.