How Much Longer Will Jim Gannon Stay?

El Grew

After the last couple of interviews I've heard of Gannon - its less of 'what he says' and more of 'how he says it' that worries me.

He sounds dishearted and not keen anymore, maybe he's double bluffing the players and making them step up to the plate - maybe hes just a total arse and can't be bothered with the task anymore.

But, I hope to God he knows what hes doing and isn't bad mouthing the players in public because he doesn't care anymore.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still quite undecided myself on the whole situation. To say things are going really badly and be sitting in sixth place does sound a bit arrogant. But I am growing less and less fond of Gannon with every passing week. All this front with the press and the referees I think is just clutching at straws, I think our poor run of form is partially down to mistakes he is mistaking and refusing to address. Any other manager we've ever had in my time (McLeish onwards) has been far too hesitant to make substitutions, but Gannon seems to be the complete opposite. So many times this season a player, particularly Murphy, seems to be just beginning to get the better of the opposition and are then hooked early on. He also seems to have an arrogance that makes him dislikeable, he takes any opportunity to hold Scottish Football in disregard. When I heard all the stories of his outspoken nature before he joined us in the summer, I slightly feared we were going to get a manager with the personality of Jim Jeffries and now it doesn't seem far off. Mind you, I'm sure I speak for most of us when I say, we've been through worse, we'll go through worse and we'll always go back.

Jim Gannon is an arrogant wank.

Thats all I'm going to stay because once I start on him I find it hard to stop ^_^

If he does well for us, fair dos, but I just don't like him at all.

From personal experience? I have met him a couple of times and he comes across well imo. Certainly didn't come across as arrogant.

I've got to say that the alarm bells are ringing loud and clear at Fir Park in my humble opinion. Not particularly as far as results and performances are concerned (I kinda expected a tough season), but the recent demeanour of our manager, his interviews, criticism of Referees, and now his own players is worrying. Yesterday he sounded like Berti Vogts during his Scotland days with his " what more can I do" line. His claim that his players can't pass properly, and can't defend properly, no matter how much he coaches them, don't go down well with this fan, and sure as hell won't go down well with his playing staff. I get the impression, and have had for a period of time, that Jim Gannon will be back down South sooner rather than later. That doesn't concern me in itself, but I'd hate to think the Club is going along with, and standing behind the current manager in his discourteous remarks regarding players who have served this Club with distinction for a number of years. Man management is an art that perhaps Jim Gannon should brush up on.These guys deserve MFC's, and our respect

Man management is an art that perhaps Jim Gannon should brush up on.These guys deserve MFC's, and our respect

It is hard to tell whether this is kind of reverse psychology and criticism of players is aimed at getting a response or whether it is because he has lost the appetite for the challenge.

If he is going to get to the top of the management tree then I believe he will have to stick it out - which by the way may be his intention all along - as a blip here will, whilst not fatal will certainly set him back a couple of years.

As for the criticism of the players - I personally would rather he took another route - that said it is difficult to argue with his points about keeping clean sheets given the last few results. I am quite sure he has stressed to the defence how to go about simple defending, yet it is clearly not getting through.

On Saturday we actually played reasonably well for the last 25 mins of the first half and should have been more than 1 goal to the good. Credit must go to D McInnes who made two subs at half time and gave his players a rollicking which worked.

Interesting to read the posts regarding him going for interviews, which he seems to have denied at the MST meeting. What is going on?? Either someone is trying to create trouble for Gannon or he did go for these interviews in which case I would question his commitment and seek a replacement ASAP. If he is going for interviews at this stage, then he clearly does not see even a short term future at MFC and perhaps the players know this.

Personally i like what he has tried to do with blooding the youngsters, although you could also argue with the lack of resources that he had little choice. Certainly in the beginning it was working reasonably well. I am a bit bemused (like all it would seem) by the constant tinkering to the line up and would like to see a more settled side.

I hope he can work through this tough phase of results - we are still in 6th place and if we can get back to some early season form and a little luck we will hopefully pick up a few positive results - we sure as hell need them.

Im slowly beginning to find myself getting annoyed with Gannon (although i'm still 100% behind him) due to his post match comments. I dont get to many games due to work commitments, therefore i get most of my information from here, the interviews on the official and the highlights.

Surely 6 months into a job a manager has atleast a rough idea of the best tactic and line up to acheive some results. Also, in my opinion, a rebuilding job as gannon has called our situation needs a good solid grounding before he can properly start to stamp his mark on the club and our philosophy. To me Gannon isnt giving himself a chance to get this with his constant tinkering and seeming desire to make enemies wherever he goes, the media, referees and supposedly now his own players.

January is going to be an important month for our season. A couple of wins against Hearts and Accies and cup progression against ICT, along with Ruddy and Lukas staying on and the whole situation will seem a lot rosier.

Hopefully Jim will soon reaslise what is needed to allow the club to stabalise and head in the right direction.

Cheers, Dez

I fully expect Gannon to leave Motherwell in during the January transfer window. The guy has no long term plans for the club and is soon to loose some vital players without much or any thought into who to replace them with.

I just feel that this new adventure which he undertook at the summer has gone very sour for him. Who knows what has altered his attitude, referees, the media? Anyways he is looking for a scapegoat and thats clear to see.

Interesting to read the posts regarding him going for interviews, which he seems to have denied at the MST meeting.

What is going on??

Either someone is trying to create trouble for Gannon

or

he did go for these interviews

in which case I would question his commitment and seek a replacement ASAP. If he is going for interviews at this stage, then he clearly does not see even a short term future at MFC and perhaps the players know this.

Agree with much of what you said welldaft mk1

but the section quoted is to me why we are having trouble at mill , sad as it all had the makings of something special.

Hopefully we get through it and get to see what could be, If JG delivers what he is capable off, but that'll only happen if he wants to and I have my doubts that he still does

I fully expect Gannon to leave Motherwell in during the January transfer window. The guy has no long term plans for the club and is soon to loose some vital players without much or any thought into who to replace them with.

I just feel that this new adventure which he undertook at the summer has gone very sour for him. Who knows what has altered his attitude, referees, the media? Anyways he is looking for a scapegoat and thats clear to see.

Do you have inside information on this or is it just an opinion? I'm beginning to get a little worried by the recent performances and post match interviews but was kind of hoping Gannon had a trick or two up his sleeve for the transfer window.

Maybe the critisism of the team in the lead up to the transfer window is a ploy to get Boyle to release some cash?

players who have served this Club with distinction for a number of years.

Who has "served the club with distinction" at present ? Craigan is just a average player even by Motherwell standards. He's a nice guy but that doesn't make him first pick every week until he retires/leaves the club.

McGarry, Lasley, Sutton, O'Brien etc etc would hardly make the first 25 of any of our greatest Motherwell sides.

heard a rumour he aint got a contract n can leave if he gets a good enough offer plus hes been down south 3 times in a couple of months for talks

I heard that too from somebody that was at the forum night the other week about him not having a contract. They quoted him as saying he didn't trust contracts.

Walks out to join some English division2 mob, run out of town by the combined might of the SFA, Media and Refs, Sacked by Boyle..............

If he does go in the not too distant future, then we should recognise that he has actually done some good at fir park, namely sign up some of our younger starlets on long term contracts. Hutch, Saunders, Forbes, Murphy etc etc.