Football Wit

Auldyin

Santa brought me a wee book on football wit perhaps these two might explain our problems just now,

From Tommy Docherty::

When I signed Jim Holton from Shrewsbury for £100,000,

Harry Gregg told me I had a player who didn't know the

meaning of the word defeat.

I told him defeat wasn't the only word he didn't understand.

There was also pass,control,dribble......

From Alastair McSporran(who???)on Jim Baxter:::

Slim Jim had everything required of a great

Scottish footballer.

Outrageously skilled,totally irresponsible,

supremely arrogant and thick as mince.

ANY OTHERS??? :woop:

One of my favourite Shankly story supposedly took place during a practice game. The captain went for the toss up and lost. Shankly walks over, puts his arm around him and asks:

"What did ye call"

"Heads", says the player.

"Ach, ye should have called tails, son".

Bill Shankly said to Jock Stein after the European Cup Final, "well done Jock your immortal now, mind you Liverpool would have beat that lot".

Later on Stein said of Shankly, "if his players were as good as he says they wouldn't just win the European Cup but the Ryder Cup, the boat race and the Grand National as well".

:woop: Another Shankly gem. Talking to a journalist,

"Of course I didn't take my wife to a Rochdale game as as an anniversary present,

it was her birthday".

"Would I have got married during the football season?"

"And anyway it wasn't Rochdale, it was Rochdale reserves". :lol:

Shankly used to play 5 a sides all the time Scotland v England and used to play until Scotland won.

On one occasion he used a shy quiet lad (Alec Lindsay) as the referee and when he disallowed one of Shankly's goals Shanks said, "Jesus Christ son you've not said a bloody word for 2 years and when you do it's a lie".

Cant remember it word for word but Gordon Strachan, as much as i hate him, had a gem when manager of Southampton and was beaten 3-0 by (possibly) Aston Villa.

Journalist : ''so Gordon, in what area do you think your team were well beaten in today??''

Strachan : ''See the big green bit out there'' (walks away)

:woop:

Cant remember exactly who said this but am sure it was a Scottish manager.

One of his players got a head knock and was out cold, the physio came over and said "he doesn't knw who he is"

and the manager replied

" tell him he's fukn pele n get him back on "

Brilliant.

Cant remember exactly who said this but am sure it was a Scottish manager.

One of his players got a head knock and was out cold, the physio came over and said "he doesn't knw who he is"

and the manager replied

" tell him he's fukn pele n get him back on "

Brilliant.

That was Partick Thistle manager, John Lambie

Shankly again, signed a youth player and Shankly used to feed his players with Steak to "fill them out a bit".

This youth player comes in a couple of months later (after eating steaks) to get a day off training.

When Shankly asked what he needed the time off for the boy said he needed to get married.

Shanks said "What do you mean you NEED to get married" The boy says, well. my girlfriend is pregnant.

Shankly opens the door and shouts ,"Bob (Paisley), Joe (Fagen), Rueben (Bennett),

We've created a monster"!!!

“To put it in gentleman's terms, if you've been out for a night and you're looking for a young lady and you pull one, you've done what you set out to do. We didn't look our best today but we've pulled.

Some weeks the lady is good looking and some weeks they're not. Our performance today would have been not the best looking bird but at least we got her in the taxi.

She may not have been the best looking lady we ended up taking home but it was still very pleasant and very nice, so thanks very much and let's have coffee.”

Ian Holloway.

He has a very very good tactical sense, he is a great motivator of players, he works particularly well with young players and brings them on, which is important at a club the size of Motherwell, and he has boundless enthusiasm,

John Boyle on the appointment of Jim Gannon.

John Robertson told me this one about Brian Clough.

They used to have quizzes on the bus when they were going to away matches. Cloughie was walking up and down the aisle of the bus asking questions and he asked the following question, "Which player won two caps for England in the one day"

Everybody thought it's a trick question, it must be one of those players who played both Cricket and Football back in the thirties and forties and they very quickly gave up "Who was it, Boss?" they asked as Cloughie marched up and down the aisle. Suddenly he stopped whirled round and pointing at Gary Birtles he said "You, your first and your last"