steelman1991

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Club Statement

Motherwell part company with manager

Motherwell Football Club announced today (Monday, December 28) that it has parted company with its manager, Jim Gannon.

The Motherwell Board of Directors said the decision was not related in ‘any way whatsoever’ to recent results.

Motherwell FC chairman, John Boyle, said: “It is deeply regrettable that the board has felt it necessary to part company with the manager at this stage of the season but we have reached a situation where we felt there was no other option.

“Generally results on the field have been satisfactory since Jim Gannon was appointed and the Board wishes to make it clear that today’s decision is not related in any way whatsoever to recent results.

“Over the past couple of months it has become abundantly clear that the manager was not fully committed to the Club and, despite our best efforts, he repeatedly refused to sign a contract. Relations between the manager, staff and directors deteriorated to the extent that the situation became untenable. ”

Gordon Young, the club’s head of youth, will take charge of the team for Wednesday’s SPL match against Hearts at Tynecastle.

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/index.php?op...&Itemid=133

I'm shocked. I'm sure there must have been more going on than we knew about, as surely this wouldn't have been down to the run of results, since we've had worse runs under worse managers who kept their jobs.

Edit - maybe they should sack the webmaster too, cos it's no working :-)

I'm shocked. I'm sure there must have been more going on than we knew about, as surely this wouldn't have been down to the run of results, since we've had worse runs under worse managers who kept their jobs.

Edit - maybe they should sack the webmaster too, cos it's no working :-)

Yeah,that's what the statement on the 'fishal says:not down to results but that Gannon wasn't fully committed to the club. His refusal to sign a contract looks to have cost him. Does this mean we don't have to pay him any comp?

Well, I've heard it said from quire a few sources that the man was very hard work to get on with behind the scenes for many members of staff, and that ran right through all aspects of staff. Reading into some of Boyle's comments it would appear that this had some truth in it.

I know I, like many others, felt that he was attempting to manufacture his way out with all the outbursts, and maybe even down to team selection and tactics in recent weeks (3-1 down, Lucas off?!?!?! :huh: ). Maybe he just wasn't the messiah he seemed in the first month or so.

I'm not sad to see him go, his constant tinkering with playing staff and formations, even during games baffled most. Yep, that kind of thing can work...when you have the playing staff to work it with. Which, I'm affraid, we dont!

On a wee side note, I think we can kiss goodbye to Ruddy, in 5 days his loan deal is up, unless we have someone in the wings to get that bit of business done quickly.

On a wee side note, I think we can kiss goodbye to Ruddy, in 5 days his loan deal is up, unless we have someone in the wings to get that bit of business done quickly.

Probably the end for Yass and Jutkiewicz as well. Doubtful that the whole host of players on 1 year contracts will stay either. Suppose it depends on who takes over.